The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Another Strange Air Cleaner on 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=581428)

Metalaroundstone 05-23-2013 10:30 AM

Another Strange Air Cleaner on 66

2 Attachment(s)
My 66 Fleetside/327 came with this strange looking air cleaner. Apparently, the 2 barrel was swapped for a 4 barrel and this is the air cleaner the PO scrounged up. Does anyone know what this might be from. It looks like it should be an oil bath cleaner, but it does not have any of the interior parts. The PM threw an air filter inside that was just decorative. It had a full inch of space between top of air filter and top of cleaner. I am looking for an air cleaner that would be more original looking, even though this truck never came with a 4 barrel. Any ideas?

Also, in the carburetor pic, there is a vacuum line coming from the air horn that is not connected to anything. Should it be? Or should it just be plugged as it is now?

Thanks

hyatt 05-23-2013 10:43 AM

Re: Another Strange Air Cleaner on 66

55-57 chevy 265 or 283

63burban 05-23-2013 10:53 AM

Your air cleaner cover looks like a 57 Chevy 4barrel, worth money to the right guy. Actually with the correct paper filter it will work and look nice.

WhippinSaw 05-23-2013 01:04 PM

I like it, I have seen them on ebay with a rat rod air cleaner search. Heres one with the long oval snout. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-195...2e5767&vxp=mtr The ad shows some kind of filter with the cleaner, Just mod it and make it work without the air gap, buy an aftermarket one, or sell this one and mod another one. The plugged air line looks like a pollution control device from the donor car.

65Gregg 05-23-2013 01:50 PM

I think it is cool, I'd figure a way to use it as previously suggested.

Metalaroundstone 05-23-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhippinSaw (Post 6086518)
I like it, I have seen them on ebay with a rat rod air cleaner search. Heres one with the long oval snout. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-195...2e5767&vxp=mtr The ad shows some kind of filter with the cleaner, Just mod it and make it work without the air gap, buy an aftermarket one, or sell this one and mod another one. The plugged air line looks like a pollution control device from the donor car.

It looks like my air cleaner was born as an oil bath type. I wish i had the internal mesh unit to convert it back to an oil bath. Boy, it looks like these puppies are expensive judging by the link you provided.

WhippinSaw 05-23-2013 03:13 PM

You can just put an air filter in it and use it.http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-oi...tabs-container or here on chevy talk has some purolater filters that will work. http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/288808/

ray_mcavoy 05-23-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone (Post 6086304)
My 66 Fleetside/327 came with this strange looking air cleaner. Apparently, the 2 barrel was swapped for a 4 barrel ...

Actually, your 66 327 would have originally had a Rochester 4G carb with a cable operated hand choke. The carb on there now appears to be a 4GC which is basically the same carb with an added automatic choke.

That plugged off "vacuum line" connected to the carb's air horn is a fresh air source for the automatic choke.

Metalaroundstone 05-24-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy (Post 6087450)
Actually, your 66 327 would have originally had a Rochester 4G carb with a cable operated hand choke. The carb on there now appears to be a 4GC which is basically the same carb with an added automatic choke.

That plugged off "vacuum line" connected to the carb's air horn is a fresh air source for the automatic choke.

My carburetor has no ID on it except " Rochester" and "4 Jet." It is helpful to know it is a 4GC. I do not see any place to attach the hose on automatic choke mechanism. The only choke outlet attaches to a copper tube that goes to the exhaust manafold.

By the way, I was told by the guys at 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks that the 1966 c10 with 327 did not come with a 4 barrel carb, but the 1966 service manual addendum seems to disagree. I know, however, that my truck came with a 2 barrel, which was replaced with a 4 barrel by the PO. I have been told that the 4 barrel gets better mileage than the 2 barrel, but I can't confirm this.

kieth 05-24-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalaroundstone (Post 6087939)
my carburetor has no id on it except " rochester" and "4 jet." it is helpful to know it is a 4gc. I do not see any place to attach the hose on automatic choke mechanism. The only choke outlet attaches to a copper tube that goes to the exhaust manafold.

By the way, i was told by the guys at 4-5-6 chevy trucks that the 1966 c10 with 327 did not come with a 4 barrel carb, but the 1966 service manual addendum seems to disagree. I know, however, that my truck came with a 2 barrel, which was replaced with a 4 barrel by the po. I have been told that the 4 barrel gets better mileage than the 2 barrel, but i can't confirm this.

if you can keep your foot out of the other 2 barrels then it would get better fuel mileage, i could just never manage to do that.....kieth

oldno7 05-24-2013 05:31 PM

I have one exactly like this, It came from a 64 (LCF) low cab forward truck i have been parting out its in awesome condition with minor survice rust it has a strap that wraps around it and connects to the firewall i would say this is the original for this truck it is a oil bath with all the inside i could post up pics when i get off work. I had someone wanting to buy it but im really wanting to convert it to a 4 barrel air cleaner and use it myself I really like the looks of these perticular air cleaners and if they were chrome plated would be a cool touch

63MOUSE 05-25-2013 12:11 PM

i agree, chrome it and keep it

ray_mcavoy 05-25-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone (Post 6087939)
My carburetor has no ID on it except " Rochester" and "4 Jet." It is helpful to know it is a 4GC. I do not see any place to attach the hose on automatic choke mechanism. The only choke outlet attaches to a copper tube that goes to the exhaust manafold.

The ID number was originally stamped on a small brass tag attached to one of the air horn screws so it's pretty common for that to be missing off the carburetor.

Sounds like the PO also swapped on a passenger car exhaust manifold with the heat tube inside ... that's a good thing in your case because the truck manifolds didn't have that tube due them using a hand choke.

Anyway, the copper tube you mentioned is most likely attached to the upper end of that tube that runs inside the exhaust manifold. And the lower end of that tube is probably just left open (allowing the choke system to suck in unfiltered air). Just locate the opening on the bottom part of the manifold and run another section of copper (or steel) tubing from there up to that rubber hose on the carb air horn. That will give the choke system a filtered air supply.