The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Opinions on upper trim location (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=582764)

Sklptrljay 06-01-2013 07:54 PM

Opinions on upper trim location

I'm laying out the lines for my upper trim on a SWB two tone paint scheme. I have never liked how the trim drops so much at the tailgate.

I'm thinking about having the center of the upper trim/paint line be about 3/4" higher which would still allow the paint line to go behind the upper tailgate trim.

Any thoughts or more importantly pictures of anyone who has done this.

jocko 06-01-2013 10:17 PM

Re: Opinions on upper trim location

don't recommend it. Wish I could find it, but there was an ebay truck awhile back that got absolutely skewered on here for having the rear of the upper belt trim a little too high. It just didn't look right, even if it was intended as custom. That was just the rear portion - the seller did it so that it was the same distance from the bedrail all the way down.

I believe you're talkin about moving Everything up a little bit, front and back. Since asking for thoughts - I'd avoid doing that. These trucks tend to look best stock on the outside - just my personal opinion though. Also - consider that if you move it up, the door and cab trim and front fender trim has to go up also - a big mess (mirror/gas cap interference, door lock exposure, etc) And think how a straight line would translate to the very front of the fenders - seems to me that would look very off.

Sklptrljay 06-01-2013 10:35 PM

Jocko, I am just talking about the rear portion of the uppers where it meets the tailgate. I did a search and didn't see any pics of what I'm talking about, but I know I have seen it somewhere before. I know what your saying about being straight all the way down, it would still have a drop/taper to the end, just not as radical.

Hopefully I can find some pics to see it again.

Sklptrljay 06-03-2013 12:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the different options as I see it.

Stock: below the tailgate trim and same height as tailgate white.

My preference: below tailgate trim by a smidge, but higher than stock.

Even higher (too high in my opinion) higher than the top of tailgate trim.

So, please chime in, tell me what you think, you wont hurt my feelings.

Attachment 1115496

Attachment 1115497

Attachment 1115498

Attachment 1115499

Attachment 1115500

Sklptrljay 06-07-2013 01:50 AM

Re: Opinions on upper trim location, New and improved with pictures

Please check out the pics and give me some feedback. You won't hurt my feelings.

screaminchevypickup 06-07-2013 01:55 AM

Keep it in the factory location it needs to flow with the drop of the body line.. If you raise it 3/4 it will be straight because there is only about 3/4 of drop from the front.. Just my .02 cents..
Posted via Mobile Device

Sklptrljay 06-07-2013 02:20 AM

Thank you screamin', I keep going back and forth between stock and the 3/4" change. But it's just about time to make a decision.

Daaaanz67 06-07-2013 09:43 AM

Keep it stock the little bit of white around the tail light trim just doesn't look right just my opinion though
Posted via Mobile Device

budman k20 06-07-2013 01:51 PM

I will say do what you want...But if your truck is painted like the last pictures and you had it for sale I would either pass on it or want you to discount the price enough to put it back to the stock location. My opinion is moving the top trim up in the rear would hurt your resale value plenty because paint and body work is not cheap!

Square_78 06-08-2013 01:29 AM

I like the second pic.
Posted via Mobile Device