The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New guy in MD (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=587913)

badform 07-09-2013 12:51 AM

New guy in MD

Hey there, everyone!

Just posting to say hi and introduce myself. I started getting the itch to have something old and fun to drive again, and have been looking around for the past several months looking for the right thing, but not finding it. The goal was to get something that I could slowly fix up and make reliable enough to do the Power Tour in a few years. The one hard and fast rule that I set myself up with was that I HAD to drive it home.

A few weeks ago, I had to rent a truck from Home Depot to pickup a riding mower and some other stuff, and that put the idea of an old truck in my head. I'd spend the rest of this season carting away yard waste and house stuff (I've got projects goin' on), and then dig into it to make it the truck I want.

I've always loved the '67-72 Chevy trucks more than the others, and one thing led to another and I looked at a '69 C10. After checking it out, and having cash one me, I scored it for a bit under $2K. Unfortunately I haven't gotten it home yet. Barring any unforseen circumstances, the truck's coming home this weekend.

Just when I had coordinated with dad to get a ride out so I can drive the truck home, the guy I bought it from moved it and thought the brakes felt a bit squishy, and after taking a look, he found a cracked brake line. Fortunately he's very cool, and right now the truck's getting new brake lines.

Anyway, I know you guys like the pics, so dig it:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...psb67c17f7.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...psbc7c6c11.jpg

badform 07-09-2013 12:57 AM

Re: New guy in MD

Seriously, it was the rims that sold the deal for me. When I was a kid, my uncle had (still has) a '69 SS396 Chevelle with slotted mags, and I've always wanted something with them.

Question: I wasn't planning on repainting it anytime soon, but I wonder if I might have to, at least enough to cover up phone numbers. A quick good search still pulls up the business. Is there an easy way to remove just the lettering? Aircraft thinner? I kind of like the look. Hmmm...

Evaded 07-09-2013 02:58 AM

Great looking truck and nice start! Welcome to the site....

badform 07-09-2013 11:08 AM

Thanks!

alsriv2 07-09-2013 11:45 AM

Welcome to the board. I am not that far away down in Glen Burnie. I am not sure if you have looked thru this site yet, but in the forums section we have a Maryland site that you should check out. There are quite a few MD members here and some even frequent the Marley Station car show each Saturday.

You have a nice looking truck there.
I am afraid that even if you can get the lettering removed, the fade difference will still show the outline of the original lettering. But not to worry as there are threads here that you will find that show creative ways to add patina to those surfaces and make it look original.

Tinkermc 07-09-2013 02:05 PM

Nice lookin truck and welcome to the Forum

special-K 07-10-2013 08:55 AM

You got a great deal for around here. Don't do a thing with the lettering. It's free advertising for the former owner,so what? If they were concerned (and I'm sure they're not) they would have removed it before selling. The required area code isn't even on there,which let's anyone with a brain know it's an old number on an old truck anyway. Seriously,if you touch any of that you're making a big mistake. There is a way to get it off but I'll never say. This gives so much cool factor it ain't funny. That truck is the real deal that others are imitating. Don't touch that paint! You can thank me later for being so insistent :cool:

badform 07-10-2013 08:58 AM

Thanks again for the welcome, gang.

I figure I'll do the right thing and call the company to see if it's still in existence. You're right that they probably won't care, but I should ask anyway.

Once I get it home, I'll just be concentrating on making sure it's all up to snuff and making sure there are no problems in the waiting.

badform 07-14-2013 02:25 AM

Alrighty... pickin' up the pickup tomorrow. This should be interesting...

Sklptrljay 07-14-2013 03:02 AM

I'm diggin' it. I'd leave the paint and advertising just the way it is. Good luck and have fun.:metal:

72 Super 07-14-2013 09:04 AM

Welcome to the board. I would leave the paint alone, it is cool just the way it is.

Ray

special-K 07-14-2013 12:24 PM

Yeah,you should do the right thing and call them. If they say they want you to take the number off,tell them where to get off,it's your truck now and you'll do what you want!! :lol: (at least you can say you did the right thing :cool:)

Seriously. I am 100% positive they would have taken the number off while it was still theirs if they were concerned...or they don't do much thinking. They really have no right now.

PatrickGMC70 07-14-2013 02:39 PM

Welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

alsriv2 07-16-2013 12:25 PM

Update?

special-K 07-16-2013 10:16 PM

Maybe he called the number and found out the truck was stolen....j/k...I hope!