The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   What exhaust are you guys running with your swap? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=603504)

FLYNAVY30 11-08-2013 09:25 AM

What exhaust are you guys running with your swap?

Obviously nothing is going to bolt right up after the swap....but Im curious what system you guys started with and then modified. Im thinking about running the pipes so that they dump out the side right in front of the rear wheels. I may just buy some Thrush glass packs and one of Summit Racing's build it yourself 2.5" exhaust kits. Im running the hooker cast LS swap manifolds to clear my CPP tubular motor mounts and the factory column shift linkage.

Andy4639 11-08-2013 09:44 AM

Re: What exhaust are you guys running with your swap?

I plan to let 3rd gen do mine and dump under the truck at the rear axle. Right now he is just going to tie into the 2.5" that is there now. My ultimate goal is for S/S once I get it running.
;):chevy:

Wasted Income 11-08-2013 11:00 AM

4" exhaust to the rear of the front wheel, with an 80mm muffler. ;)

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ps00d2f77f.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/7859/5f71.jpg

FLYNAVY30 11-08-2013 11:59 AM

hahaha, thats awesome

Billett 11-09-2013 10:01 PM

DT headers to cut-outs, 2.5" x-pipe to Hooker aerochambers over the axle and straight out the back. Just got it back from the shop today! I'll post a link to a video tomorrow. Used to run Flowmasters on my 350/NP435, but it was too loud for a daily. Probably would have worked better now that I have overdrive, but my brother is using them with his buick.

crazy longhorn 11-09-2013 10:37 PM

Hooker street rod shorties/stainless mandrel bent downs(speedway motors). The system goes 2 1/2" pipe, front to rear/H pipe/ 50's flows....exit through the rear bumper....Longhorn

68c10airstream 11-10-2013 12:19 AM

Hi flynavy30, I remember all the negative specs on glass packs, excessive backpressure, tone quickly changes to a bad loud note when the fiberglass burns/blows out. A friend put those behind a sbc in a chevelle and in 3 weeks hated them. I'm kinda old school and in the 60's-70's corvair turbo mufflers were the rage and i still like a 2 1/2" inlet/ 2 1/2" outlet staggered, short body, (not straight through). Nice tone but not obnoxious. There is new mufflers out now that i would consider when the time comes, Corsa, Borla, etc, that have the drone toned down. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but ask around. Sound bites are on some websites also and seem legit. Good luck, Brian F.

whitels1 11-10-2013 12:48 PM

Right now I have 99 Fbody manifolds, 2.5" straight piped to thrush turbo mufflers. Sounds great. The manifolds will soon be flipped and connected to a 76mm Turbo and who knows from there.

68GMCCustom 11-10-2013 01:09 PM

Mine's running Dynatech F-body swap headers, a dual 3" Flowmaster build your own exhaust system with Summit turbo mufflers...dumped at the rear axle. Its amazingly quiet at cruise but give it some pedal and it starts sounding like its running open headers. :lol:

71chevystep4x4 11-10-2013 01:22 PM

Hooker block hugger shorties, 2.5 pipes through Thrush Welded mufflers. I am VERY pleased with how these mufflers sound, and they are half the price of Flowmaster, which I have run with the last two motors, so I'm not talkin trash, just wanted something a little different.

FLYNAVY30 11-10-2013 08:10 PM

my big hurdle right now it trying to determine if the Holley manifolds will in fact clear the CPP motor mounts.....

crazy longhorn 11-10-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 (Post 6357217)
my big hurdle right now it trying to determine if the Holley manifolds will in fact clear the CPP motor mounts.....

If you are running an auto trans, I think you will be ok on the hooker cast manifolds? Where the fit issue comes in, is if you run a gen I stick shift....most headers, manifolds will not clear the clutch linkage. Best of fun,Longhorn

FLYNAVY30 11-10-2013 08:44 PM

Thanks longhorn, I figured Ill be ok with the shift linkage, its more clearing these CPP motor mounts Im having difficulty with....didnt realize they were such an issue

crazy longhorn 11-10-2013 09:27 PM

Can you shoot a couple pics of what you are dealing with? Longhorn

BigRed76 11-10-2013 10:38 PM

I used eBay stainless shorty headers for 2nd gen Camaro ls swaps, into 2.5" dual exhaust, with x-pipe that was custom fitted & welded by me. For mufflers I used 2 magnaflow stainless 24" long mufflers with turndowns in front of the rear axle. Real quiet at lower RPM's but sounds mean at 5K :lol:

FLYNAVY30 11-10-2013 11:34 PM

http://images1.snapfish.com/23232323...24433%3Anu0mrj

crazy longhorn 11-10-2013 11:46 PM

I think I missed something in the 'mix'...I thought that you were running Hooker cast iron headers? The back side of those stands , do look to be intrusive, for anything that you would mount for headers tho... Longhorn

FLYNAVY30 11-11-2013 12:16 AM

I ordered the Hooker manifolds to see if they'll work since I couldnt find anyone who could definitively say they do or do not work with the CPP mounts....still waiting for them to arrive

crazy longhorn 11-11-2013 06:23 PM

My thoughts are, that you wont really know, till you set the engine into place? At that point, you might be able to opt for different engine mount plates (for the block), if the fit is too tight. Best of fun....let us know how she goes, Longhorn

truckdude239 11-11-2013 07:17 PM

Trailblazer ss manifolds are what i is running

crazy longhorn 11-11-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 6358868)
Trailblazer ss manifolds are what i is running

What mounts/stands are you running? It has been showed here, that you can go a dozen different ways , on the setup.....too bad that nobody sells a complete kit;) ? Longhorn

FLYNAVY30 11-11-2013 08:40 PM

thanks Longhorn, Ill keep you up to date....Im leaning towards the Thorley headers, despite the expense as I think the plumbing of the remainder of the exhaust will be easier with the longtubes....we'll see. I may still try to fit the manifolds and see what the clearance is, Ill keep you updated!

JJH Jimmy 11-11-2013 09:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I am using the Trailblazer SS manifolds with Borla Pro XL mufflers.

crazy longhorn 11-11-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 (Post 6359033)
thanks Longhorn, Ill keep you up to date....Im leaning towards the Thorley headers, despite the expense as I think the plumbing of the remainder of the exhaust will be easier with the longtubes....we'll see. I may still try to fit the manifolds and see what the clearance is, Ill keep you updated!

Once again....big fun ;) These old trucks , are NEVER done! You just keep adding , as you go ;) My old Longhorn, is a running /driving LS swap.....carb this trip, but really wanting the fuelie.She wont run like the old stroker, but should be fun to pay with(6 gears on the "row'). The old 383 , is doing track time, in my brothers S-10....Longhorn

Mr. 250r 11-11-2013 11:02 PM

Open hooker ls swap manifolds, its loud. Like gravedigger loud.