The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Winshield replacement time (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=604216)

Racer2172 11-13-2013 06:39 PM

Winshield replacement time

I am getting ready to get the windshield changed in my 72 k-20. What is the difference in the gaskets, trim vs/no trim. I am guessing the chrome trim around the windshield. Has any changed their own windshield before? I have a cab with good windshield in it just a little hesitant to try it myself. Any tips or pointers? Talked to a local glass company They quoted around 160 to remove the old, replace the gasket and install my parts truck spare. Its a mom and pop place that seems to know what they are doing. But Im cheap and would like to save a few bucks if i can.

'68 Short Step 11-13-2013 08:32 PM

Re: Winshield replacement time

Subscribed.

Just got a quote from a local shop today. $85 for a brand new windshield and another $85 to install with new rubber. Didnt seem like a bad deal.

truckster 11-13-2013 09:01 PM

I would say a 67-72 Chevy or GMC truck is not the vehicle to learn on when it comes to changing a windshield. Their design makes it a little challenging even for experienced installers.

If you decide to replace it yourself using your parts truck glass, use a utility knife to cut the windshield gasket all the way around the inside, right next to the pinchweld.

Install the gasket on the windshield. If you have chrome trim, it has to go in the rubber before the rubber goes on the truck. Use some masking tape to hold the rubber on the glass.

You'll need a length of 3/16 or 1/4 inch hollow braid nylon rope. Lay the rope in the pinchweld groove on the rubber, starting with the center of the rope in the center of the bottom of the windshield. Cross the rope in the center at the top.

Next you're going to need a helper. Two is even better, because you're going to install the TOP of windshield first. With your helpers holding the windshield in place and putting gentle pressure against it, you'll start pulling the rope at roughly a 90 degree angle to the glass, so that you pull the rubber over the pinchweld as you pull out the rope. Use glass cleaner or water with some dish soap to lubricate the rubber as it passes over the pinchweld. Easy does it on the top corners; that's where these like to break. Once you're past the corners, it's pretty simple from there, if you've centered the windshield and managed not to lose any of the chrome pieces.

One more word of caution. Don't under any circumstances, use silicone to try to seal your windshield. It might work temporarily, but it will cause more problems in the long run. Butyl rubber sealant is the correct sealant, but if you can't find that, I'd use 3M's black super weatherstrip adhesive.

Good luck in any case.

swamp rat 11-13-2013 10:12 PM

Type this into Google, adding the 67-72 chevy trucks brings up lots of posts here, plus some you tube vids too.

"windshield replacement 67-72 chevy truck"

ItsRandy 11-13-2013 11:35 PM

I got my windshield from SafeLite, $85 installed in my driveway. I had the new gasket.

In The Ten Ring 11-14-2013 02:47 AM

So modern installers, such as Safelite, can do this project?

If I ever needed it done, I'd hire a pro, but if you guys are up to it, my hat is off to you!

swamp rat 11-14-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 6363033)

Some of them, it pays to have someone with experience..

Sammy 11-14-2013 08:33 AM

Safelite in my area will not even try here. Guess it depends on their experances in the past... Did mine myself.

Lee H 11-14-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 6363033)

If I ever needed it done, I'd hire a pro, but if you guys are up to it, my hat is off to you!

I used safelite. I asked if the tech was experienced with 67-72 installation with the stainless trim. When they called back they said a tech from another district was experienced and sent him and a trainee. Plinkington glass, OEM trim, precision gasket. Less than 20 minutes start to finish.

Lattimer 11-14-2013 11:43 AM

I just did an online quote from Safelite and it was $345 including gasket and glass.

Racer2172 11-14-2013 04:28 PM

On buying the gasket to clarify standard has no trim around windshield, deluxe has the chrome trim that attaches into the gasket? I think I am going to atleast attempt to remove the old cracked windshield and clean it up to save some labor cost. I am pretty confident the local glass guys here will be good we are in a somewhat remote area and they are always working older vehicles and farm equipment.

swamp rat 11-14-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer2172 (Post 6363830)
On buying the gasket to clarify standard has no trim around windshield, deluxe has the chrome trim that attaches into the gasket? I think I am going to atleast attempt to remove the old cracked windshield and clean it up to save some labor cost. I am pretty confident the local glass guys here will be good we are in a somewhat remote area and they are always working older vehicles and farm equipment.

Yes, the chrome strip installs into the rubber, there are 2 different rubber gaskets, one for the chrome trim one for without the trim, i don't know off hand if the term is deluxe and standard.. most if the headache it seems is getting the chrome trim installed

magwakeenercew2jh 11-14-2013 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6364247)
Yes, the chrome strip installs into the rubber, there are 2 different rubber gaskets, one for the chrome trim one for without the trim,
i don't know off hand if the term is deluxe and standard.. most if the headache it seems is getting the chrome trim installed

There are three different gaskets. No trim, shallow trim, and deep trim.

Mobile guy came and put mine in during my build (don't know if it was deep or shallow trim). Here's a pic of what it looked like after finishing the
build and then driving about 200 miles.

Last week, I asked a local motor head forum where they had glass installed and got a tip directing me to someone with a glass shop that knows what
he is doing.

Today, I stopped at the shop to check it out... and subsequently made an appointment. $150.

I have to take it to the shop. The price is for pilling my almost new windshield (cut the almost new gasket), install my existing windshield in a new Precision gasket
(that I am bringing). Install my old but polished OEM trim. Throw away the junk aftermarket crap. Install the windshield in the truck.

He said he doesn't use the old gasket. No matter how "new" it is. It adds to the risk of breaking the windshield in trying to "hook it out". Also, he'd only do this in
the shop, as not enough folks "on the truck" are familiar with these. And it sometimes takes two or three guys.

He was happy I am using the deep trim. They like that better.

He said that people balk at $150 in labor with no parts. But it's a lot of work with the trim. Especially to do it right. I saw the Precision Youtube.
It didn't take them much time. But I don't know about editing, etc.

I told him, "A guy's gotta get paid". And, although I am not happy about $150, a guy who knows what he's doing *should* get paid.

swamp rat 11-14-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 6364313)
There are three different gaskets. No trim, shallow trim, and deep trim.

Mobile guy came and put mine in during my build (don't know if it was deep or shallow trim). Here's a pic of what it looked like after finishing the
build and then driving about 200 miles.

Last week, I asked a local motor head forum where they had glass installed and got a tip directing me to someone with a glass shop that knows what
he is doing.

Today, I stopped at the shop to check it out... and subsequently made an appointment. $150.

I have to take it to the shop. The price is for pilling my almost new windshield (cut the almost new gasket), install my existing windshield in a new Precision gasket
(that I am bringing). Install my old but polished OEM trim. Throw away the junk aftermarket crap. Install the windshield in the truck.

He said he doesn't use the old gasket. No matter how "new" it is. It adds to the risk of breaking the windshield in trying to "hook it out". Also, he'd only do this in
the shop, as not enough folks "on the truck" are familiar with these. And it sometimes takes two or three guys.

He was happy I am using the deep trim. They like that better.

He said that people balk at $150 in labor with no parts. But it's a lot of work with the trim. Especially to do it right. I saw the Precision Youtube.
It didn't take them much time. But I don't know about editing, etc.

I told him, "A guy's gotta get paid". And, although I am not happy about $150, a guy who knows what he's doing *should* get paid.

I'd say $150 is cheap myself, I'd pay that for the plane ole rubber gasket only.. I had no idea there was different trim's thanks for correcting me, i just know the trim makes it much more difficult from everything i have read here on the forum.

litew8 11-14-2013 10:49 PM

I think 71-72 uses the deep channeled seals for the chrome trim, shallow channeled for older.
From what I've heard, the repro trim doesn't fit good. Aftermarket windshields are also thinner than OE.

magwakeenercew2jh 11-14-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litew8 (Post 6364407)
I think 71-72 uses the deep channeled seals for the chrome trim, shallow channeled for older. From what I've heard, the repro trim doesn't fit good. Aftermarket windshields are also thinner than OE.

I think you are right. But I think the key is less the year (unless you want to be "correct"...in this case going completely stock would be *completely* hidden),
but to make sure that you have the proper gasket for the proper trim.

A Forum Member has a son that is a glass-master. His son told him that there's a good chance that I likely used the shallow trim with the deep slot gasket.
He said that it would appear to go "in", and then pop out after a few miles because it could never be seated properly. I'll find out on Monday.

I know the trim I used was repop. Lots of folks use it and do okay.
This time, I'm lucky to have the OEM for the install.

litew8 11-15-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 6364428)
I think you are right. But I think the key is less the year (unless you want to be "correct"...in this case going completely stock would be *completely* hidden),
but to make sure that you have the proper gasket for the proper trim.

Not sure I follow. Trucks before 71-72 are older in age. Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "*completely* hidden". My truck was manufactured as a Deluxe - thus the chrome trim all around, which is OE. I have pics in my project thread if anyone wants to see what it all turned out like. The guy who installed it did it by himself (he's a glass tech) using a jump rope. Precision seals seem to get the best results from what I've read - it's what I used. Trim goes on before installing windshield to cab.

magwakeenercew2jh 11-15-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litew8 (Post 6364578)
Not sure I follow. Trucks before 71-72 are older in age. Again, I'm not sure what you mean by "*completely* hidden". My truck was manufactured as a Deluxe - thus the chrome trim all around, which is OE.

Yeah.

AFAIK, Deluxe Trim on 67-70 is the shallow. Deluxe Trim on 71-72 is the deep. What I mean by "shallow" and "deep" is the depth of the connecting "foot" in the trim that goes into the corresponding slot in the gasket.
That's ALL "Deluxe". "Standard" is the gasket without trim. And, of course, without a slot for the trim.

What I was saying, was that if you have a 67-70 and you want to be "completely stock", then you'd have to go with the shallow trim. But, since it's "hidden", all you really need in order to meet the Deluxe trim spec...
...and to have the trim fit properly, is to have the correct trim to match the gasket.

If I'm wrong, someone please kick my a**.

Very nice truck in your build, by the way.

litew8 11-15-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh (Post 6364614)
Yeah.

AFAIK, Deluxe Trim on 67-70 is the shallow. Deluxe Trim on 71-72 is the deep. What I mean by "shallow" and "deep" is the depth of the connecting "foot" in the trim that goes into the corresponding slot in the gasket.
That's ALL "Deluxe". "Standard" is the gasket without trim. And, of course, without a slot for the trim.

What I was saying, was that if you have a 67-70 and you want to be "completely stock", then you'd have to go with the shallow trim. But, since it's "hidden", all you really need in order to meet the Deluxe trim spec...
...and to have the trim fit properly, is to have the correct trim to match the gasket.

If I'm wrong, someone please kick my a**.

Very nice truck in your build, by the way.

:lol: Thanks for the complement. He has a 72', so that's where I'm coming from. Anything else, I'm not sure. When you say "completely stock" and "hidden", are you implying "no options", no chrome trim?

Andy4639 11-15-2013 08:52 AM

I installed my 71 with trim with help of my daughter & son. After the truck was painted we did both the front and back slider. It wasn't that bad and neither of them have leaked in 3 years now.
U have to take your time and I used plenty of soapy water for the rubber. I bought some of the plastic knives the glass guys use.
I installed the rope into the rubber and put the bottom in first to help hold the weight. This didn't work out to well so we pulled it back out after about half way. We then started at the top and it was a little more trouble but went in better at the top corners.
U can see the window sticker in the picture.
;):chevy:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...498/120707.JPG

Racer2172 11-15-2013 01:08 PM

I have to say this is why i spend atleast an hour or two a day on this site for all the great knowledge. I am going to weather and time permitting at least pull the old cracked windshield out of my truck this weekend. Any pointers on the trim I am gruessing pull it after the windshield is out with the old gasket. Still debating on doing the install myself might leave that to the glass shop

fp1967 11-15-2013 11:33 PM

Racer2172, I think that would be a good idea that you had to remove the old glass and get things cleaned up. I worked for an autoglass company in the late 80's and early 90's. If I was doing a job like that, it would have been appreciated by me, plus you get to check for rust and learn how they go in. Here is a pic that I took off of the internet of a hook tool. For anybody removing or installing windows that are in gaskets, it is a big help. A cotter pin extractor will work too, but not as good as these tools. These tools are for working the gasket into or out of the cab, it is best to not use metal tools on the edge of the glass. Plastic sticks are what you want if you need help to coax the window into the gasket. The hook tools will help to get the trim into the gasket as well.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...ols_2037_2.jpg

fp1967 11-15-2013 11:42 PM

One more thing as mentioned earlier, it is pretty hard to remove a used windshield from these trucks and save it and the gasket. I always cut the gasket to save the windshield. If the winshield is broke, then I push out the windshield with the help of my hook tool and try to save the gasket.

As a side note, back windows are tempered glass and are pretty tough. These can usually be pushed out and save both the gasket and window, although I don't know how hard the gasket would be in the different climates. It doesn't get very hot for very many days each year where I live.

Racer2172 11-16-2013 07:31 PM

Any additional pointers on trim removal before start windshield removal?

litew8 11-16-2013 07:51 PM

I didn't do mine, but the trim should be easy to remove after the windshield is out, not before.