The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   tuning (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=618478)

1970 C10 MJW 02-27-2014 08:33 PM

tuning

Im getting close to the part of the project where i need to consider tuning...
I have lots of friends that have spent lots of money paying people to tune their cars and still have problems... I dont have the money to throw down multiple tunes... I'm considering tuning myself, like hptuners or efi live is it extremely difficult? or should i pay to have it tuned

Super73 02-27-2014 09:23 PM

Re: tuning

There is a learning curve, but not that hard all all. Read through the sticky's on hptuners. Lot of info.

BR3W CITY 02-28-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970 C10 MJW (Post 6548546)
Im getting close to the part of the project where i need to consider tuning...
I have lots of friends that have spent lots of money paying people to tune their cars and still have problems... I dont have the money to throw down multiple tunes... I'm considering tuning myself, like hptuners or efi live is it extremely difficult? or should i pay to have it tuned

A good tuner doens't charge for re-tunes on the car if it was never right to start. I have a couple I use, as well as the tweaking we do here. My main tuner does a 3-4 pull dyno tune, then a 10 minute street tune for shift points etc. We ran into some minor issues a few days later, and the tuner invited us back to re street tune the car to straighten them all out.
You would only be paying for extra tuning if you change equipment or there is/was another mechanical concern affecting the tune that needed to be addressed.

That being said, HPT is learn-able. Its a little faster to get started with it, since you can semi-copy off of other people on forums etc to get a workable tune. You don't have to ground-up learn the software per-se, but if you want to really DO the tuning yourself, there is more to it.

solidaxel 03-02-2014 09:51 AM

Another tuning question, but not to hijack your thered.

I have a 2003 GMC SBRC 5.3 4L60E 3:4? something rear gear and it has a tune on it as it shifts great and has all the power it needs.

Can I down load this tune and convert it to my "new" 78 5.3 4L60E 2003 package?

Or can I pick and choose different items on the 2003 to add to the 78?

By the way I have ran a tank and a half of gas through the 78 and it works great!!!

The only concern I have is the lag between shift points, it seems a bit sloppy, or too smooth not crisp like the 2003.

.There is a guy here that says he can tune the 78 as he has HPtuner or EFIlive I just have to buy a "credit" and we know the cost of that!

He did a down load of the computer on the 78 when we were trying to solve some problems early up, and he said the shift time was .06, is that a time between gear changes, can this be altered or is it a pressure change?

The transmission shop said they could change the solonoides but it would be hard shifting all the time

whitels1 03-02-2014 11:47 AM

A good tuner should.....

Check everything before starting, pop a wide band in, adjust idle tables, then have you drive around normally for a while to make sure everything you do normally is going to function properly, run with the a/c on then off. Adjust the fans, etc. Then some pulls adjust shifting, timing, etc... If you tuner does not spend the time to get it right you are going to leave power and drivability on the table. Do not get a mail order tune, find a good local tuner with a good reputation that will get it right.

BR3W CITY 03-02-2014 05:08 PM

Solidaxel : You can copy the tune off of the working truck, change the VIN to match the swap truck, and flash the program if you want. You would still have all of the emissions-related stuff and anything else the stock truck would have activated in the tune. You'll still need to disable that all, as well as VATS to work in your truck.

We don't do street tunes first; we tune everything on the dyno in a controlled failure-prepped environment. When we have something that is workable, then we go for a street tune for shift points etc.

solidaxel 03-02-2014 11:56 PM

Thanks again Br3w!