The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   cpp spindle question? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=620427)

kevmar96 03-12-2014 10:09 PM

cpp spindle question?

2 Attachment(s)
So I ordered a set of spindles from summit. When they arrived the box said part # cp4s3 which is supposed to be 71-72 2/12" drop spindles. When I took the spindles out the casting on the spindle said cp4s4 which is for the 73 and up c10. I called summit and they said to send them back, which I did. They replacement spindles arrived today. They Have The same casting of cp4s4. I called summit again and they called cpp and put me on a 3 way with cpp and the guy there said they use the same casting number(cp4s4) for all their spindles then machine them for the different years. He assured me that these were the correct ones but I can't understand why they have the same numbers on spindles for different years and no other numbers to differentiate them from one another. Why make it so confusing. Maybe it's just me. Was wondering if anyone else has used these spindles on a 71-72 with this casting #. Sorry for such a long post for a simple question. Thanks For Any help.

keh27 03-12-2014 10:46 PM

Re: cpp spindle question?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevmar96 (Post 6572394)
So I ordered a set of spindles from summit. When they arrived the box said part # cp4s3 which is supposed to be 71-72 2/12" drop spindles. When I took the spindles out the casting on the spindle said cp4s4 which is for the 73 and up c10. I called summit and they said to send them back, which I did. They replacement spindles arrived today. They Have The same casting of cp4s4. I called summit again and they called cpp and put me on a 3 way with cpp and the guy there said they use the same casting number(cp4s4) for all their spindles then machine them for the different years. He assured me that these were the correct ones but I can't understand why they have the same numbers on spindles for different years and no other numbers to differentiate them from one another. Why make it so confusing. Maybe it's just me. Was wondering if anyone else has used these spindles on a 71-72 with this casting #. Sorry for such a long post for a simple question. Thanks For Any help.

I went through all this BS in the last few weeks, they should be the correct one's Mine were with the same number . What kind of ball joints are you going to use

kevmar96 03-13-2014 06:17 AM

The cpp guy said that the stock ball joints will work.

keh27 03-13-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevmar96 (Post 6572806)
The cpp guy said that the stock ball joints will work.

yes they will ,didn't know if you was changing them or not.

67 cst swb 03-13-2014 11:35 AM

This is why you should buy from CPP in the first place and not Summit (reseller). Once you have issues... Summit just reroutes you to CPP anyway for answers.
Just my opinion.

kevmar96 03-13-2014 12:32 PM

I ordered other stuff at the same and the shipping was free. Never had problems with summit before.

Pro Performance 03-13-2014 12:44 PM

Typically, the spindle manufacturers will use the same casting for 63-87, and drill the ball joints differently. This is why the number is the same on them.

keh27 03-13-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 cst swb (Post 6573119)
This is why you should buy from CPP in the first place and not Summit (reseller). Once you have issues... Summit just reroutes you to CPP anyway for answers.
Just my opinion.

like Cpp is any help anyways!!!!

ovalshark 03-13-2014 10:25 PM

I got the same deal from them. I just ran down to NAPA and picked up 73 up ball joints and all was well. I didn't want to wait for shipping back and fourth and all the other crap that goes with it. Figured new ball joints would be a good thing anyway.
Best of luck!

67 cst swb 03-14-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keh27 (Post 6573384)
like Cpp is any help anyways!!!!

I am more of a Early Classic Enterprises fan myself. I have never dealt with CPP. I just know most of the time Summit just redirects answers to the suppliers. I don't know why it bothers me so bad...

keh27 03-14-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 cst swb (Post 6575284)
I am more of a Early Classic Enterprises fan myself. I have never dealt with CPP. I just know most of the time Summit just redirects answers to the suppliers. I don't know why it bothers me so bad...

haha I hear ya........

68ls1 02-07-2021 01:56 AM

I just scored a set of these spindles in a bulk item purchase. How can I tell what ball joint they fit?

thanks

siggyfreud 02-07-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 cst swb (Post 6573119)
Just my opinion.

I would absolutely recommend the opposite. At least on this situation he has summit advocating and trying to make it right. If he goes direct to CPP it's just him. And CPP service sucks. Even talking to them at SEMA, twice, they acted like they were disinterested in customer interactions.

Accelo 02-07-2021 12:06 PM

I have had poor luck using CPP.
They sold me an aluminum relocation tank. When it didn't fit correctly It had been too long for a return. Yes, it had been 10 months. However the tank was new and unmodified in the factory box.. The tank stuck up beyond the frame rails and the box could not be mounted as it was designed. I had to space the tank down almost 1/2 in. The fill was almost in the center of the box. What a lame spot to put it. I ended up welding up the stock fill location so I could relocate it and turning the tank around so the lines would clear the bed support without having to drill holes in it. Would have made it difficult to drop the tank that way anyhow. Made in China. With no actual design criteria except the outside definitions.

I received a valuable lesson. Don’t advance purchase! Any issues that pop up will be difficult if not impossible to rectify.

Could not be installed as shipped. Decided not to go low ball anymore and will never purchase from CPP again. They sold crap and failed to back it up. However, I was able to get them on the phone which is better than some vendors I have had to deal with.

MikeB 02-07-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 8876423)
I would absolutely recommend the opposite. At least on this situation he has summit advocating and trying to make it right. If he goes direct to CPP it's just him. And CPP service sucks. Even talking to them at SEMA, twice, they acted like they were disinterested in customer interactions.

I totally agree! CPP is big on finger-pointing, whereas Summit always takes care of me if I have a problem. Just noticed that CPP's Better Business Bureau rating is D-minus.:eek: Sounds about right based on my experience.

As for Early Classic Enterprises, I used them a lot over the years, and have several of their well-made parts on my 69 C10. I think they were the first company to sell (and actually manufacture) dropped spindles for 67-72 trucks.

Sadly, they closed their doors last January.:(

67C10Step 02-08-2021 09:32 AM

I used those same CPP spindles on my 67 for both static drop and disc brake conversion. I rebuilt my entire front end at the same time and since I purchased for 67 model all the ball joints and tie rods fit perfectly.

If CPP were smart, they would hand stamp some identifying letter or number on each after the ball joint and tie rod tapers are machined in. It would help both them internally and the consumer later on what they actually have. I also ordered through Summit in case I had any issues I'd get them involved. I had none, thankfully, so it all went pretty smooth.

MikeB 02-08-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8876936)
I used those same CPP spindles on my 67 for both static drop and disc brake conversion. I rebuilt my entire front end at the same time and since I purchased for 67 model all the ball joints and tie rods fit perfectly.

Glad to hear they worked for you. Which brake parts fit the spindles?

67C10Step 02-08-2021 10:44 AM

Mike,
I used dust shields off some 73 spindles I had and I think standard 73 and up calipers would work as well but I ordered CPP calipers anyway. I gave a bit of negative feedback on the calipers on the Summit web site as I paid for the black powder coated ones and there was no way to install them with out A) relieving some room on the spindle, or B) chipping the powder coat where the calipers slid into the spindle.

Other than that it all went together pretty well. I used inline tubes hard line kit and as Grumpy Old Man posted in another thread I used flex lines from Auto Zone to connect the hard lines to the calipers. Since the lines run in the rear of the crossmember instead of the front the standard 71 and up flex lines don't fit well. Bleeding my braking system and snugging up places where I am finding leaks right now.

SCOTI 02-09-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Performance (Post 6573219)
Typically, the spindle manufacturers will use the same casting for 63-87, and drill the ball joints differently. This is why the number is the same on them.

This is ALL manufacturers as well.... Not just CPP. My Bell Tech spindles for my '99 OBS 3/4 ton truck have a different p/n cast into the spindle vs. the actual p/n required for my application.

They start w/one priority unit that gets the casting number & machine for the various other possible installation possibilities from there.

tim_mc 02-09-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8876964)
Glad to hear they worked for you. Which brake parts fit the spindles?

I used front calipers for '72-78 C10 with 1.28" thick rotors.

MikeB 02-09-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_mc (Post 8877520)
I used front calipers for '72-78 C10 with 1.28" thick rotors.

When I did the conversion on my 69 C10 back in 1995, there were not a lot of choices, and probably no Internet forums like this. I used spindles from an 85 C10 for 1" rotors. Also bought tie rod adapter sleeves to connect 69 inner tie rod to 73-up outer tie rod.

Later replaced the center link and tie rods with 73-87 1/2 ton parts. Still have the 1" rotors, but they work just as well as well as the larger ones. There's virtually no difference in stopping power, except possibly when going downhill with a heavy load, because thicker rotors dissipate more heat.

This may be a good place for me to recommend Wagner semi-metallic pads. These things are inexpensive but awesome. Bought them from Rock Auto after speaking with a very helpful guy at Wagner. Part number is MX52. Don't be fooled by lesser brands that use the same P/N.

Tx Firefighter 02-09-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8877453)
This is ALL manufacturers as well.... Not just CPP. My Bell Tech spindles for my '99 OBS 3/4 ton truck have a different p/n cast into the spindle vs. the actual p/n required for my application.

They start w/one priority unit that gets the casting number & machine for the various other possible installation possibilities from there.

My experience as well. All Belltech spindles for 1/2 ton trucks 88-98 have part number 2400 cast into the backside of them. The part number 2500 spindle that is so common on these applications still says 2400 on the back but they simply press a longer spud into the casting to accommodate the thicker rotors.

ChevyRacefan 02-09-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8877453)

Yup. One casting, then machine into the needed unit.

gmc684x4 02-09-2021 09:06 PM

I am on the understanding 67 72 Ece kits used western chassis parts so we can still get the same drop parts just not from Ece and it does not look like Holley plans to do anything with it

SCOTI 02-09-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmc684x4 (Post 8877762)
I am on the understanding 67 72 Ece kits used western chassis parts so we can still get the same drop parts just not from Ece and it does not look like Holley plans to do anything with it

Yes & no.

'Western Chassis' parts are still available but POL apparently gobbled them up so they're now coming through them. IMO, POL is ok but they replicate & are not innovators like the OG Western Chassis or Belltech brands.