The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Single wall top and GMC hood $100 score! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627989)

Tumbleweed 05-07-2014 08:23 PM

Single wall top and GMC hood $100 score!

3 Attachment(s)
This doesn't usually happen to me, I am always the guy on the other side saying, "Damn, that lucky SOB!" I have a 72 Blazer and a shortbed GMC project that has Chevy trimmings from PO that I want to return to GMC. I am a lineman for the power company and I get around, if you know what I mean ;) but I guess I've been on autopilot, because I just happen to look over and see a Blazer top sitting in the woods behind this garage/used car dealer that I pass all the time. I said "damn, that is a 72 Blazer top" to my buddy, who has no idea what the big deal is. I turn around and walk back there, good single wall top with a great hatch (mine is cracked in middle by handle as usual). Out of view is a GMC hood in damn near perfect shape right beside it. I walk to the office and ask about it, he starts explaining what it is, I said "I know what it is, is it for sale?" He says, "$100 BUCKS AND ITS YOURS" I said, "there is a GMC hood out there too..." He says " You buy the top and you can have the hood." I said, "I'll be right back." I went to an ATM and came back and gave him the money. I went and picked it up today. Sad part of story is that rest of truck sat there unnoticed by me for awhile and went to the crusher with body moulding that was in good shape according to him, Grill, radiator support, and who knows what else. :whine:

Attachment 1251309

Attachment 1251310

Attachment 1251311

2003 silverado 05-07-2014 08:49 PM

Re: Single wall top and GMC hood $100 score!

Nice score love stories like that . I have driven down the road many times and saw a Blazer top and NEW WHAT IT WAS. Good luck with your plans

jaros44sr 05-07-2014 11:03 PM

HOLY ₩§€£$¶^^®© CRAP! What a deal, that hood looks great....

Tom Vogel 05-08-2014 09:14 AM

Thats an amazing deal. Shoot, its amazing to find an unmolested single wall or hatch for that matter.
The guy ought to be shot for crushing the Jimmy.

Blazerowner 05-08-2014 02:49 PM

Ya or drawn and quartered. Seems like if the top and hood are clean the body would have probably been decent too. It's like seeing a classic car crushed or wrecked in a movie.

Cohl 05-08-2014 02:52 PM

Damn. , you lucky SOB.... Lol

1972 Jimmy 05-09-2014 06:34 AM

Great Score!!! Looks like I need to be driving up north more often!!!
Eric

doo142 05-09-2014 07:44 AM

We come to Gaylord often in the winter for snowcross races, very neat place, summertime also! Awesome find!! I was just thinking about starting a thread on killer parts finds and low and behold here is a start!!

Tumbleweed 05-10-2014 10:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The hood is for my shortbed, it is a GMC and PPO put a 67 chevy front clip on it, PO gave me a 72 chevy front clip with it. I want to return it to original. This hood is in great shape.

I dont like to think about any of these trucks getting crushed, makes me want to vomit. Strange thing is the guy has a 68 and a 70 Camaro all restored sitting in his garage, wouldn't have expected that out of him. The top would have been crushed but his buddy convinced him to take it off.

Eric, stay away from my hunting grounds ;) . I gotta believe there is more down your way than up here, I probably need to come downstate hunting. :smoke:

doo142, it is getting better around here about now finally. The winter has no more charm for me. I settled here from downstate a little ways after a career in the military. If I had known I would choose a 2nd career that puts me outside all day every day, I would have chosen a different locale. The winters here are brutal. Seemed more fun when I was a kid making snow forts. Not to mention every vehicle more than five years old is ate to S@!t with rust. I envy guys out west that can get used parts. I'm not even sure what the rocker and torsion box area of my blazer is supposed to look like. It sure ain't what I got going on! :waah:

Attachment 1252312

Could not resist putting on the soft top last night. looks like the mice chewed a hole in it over the passenger seat. :censored: What I should have done is bolted on that hardtop to secure everything and start to work on this, just not sure where to start. I stare at it a lot though.

Attachment 1252316