The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Airbag not centered on stock control arm (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=628141)

~DropShot~ 05-09-2014 12:45 AM

Airbag not centered on stock control arm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I just wanted to thank you all for posting great information that helps us guys that are new to restoring trucks.

I recently purchased a 67 bagged stepper and I have been able to find straight forward answers to certain projects on my truck. Doing a walk around my truck, one thing that concerns me is how my airbag sits on ride height on the front control arms. Its on stock control arms and I believe stock spindles. My lower control arm looks cupped at the bottom. When aired out the airbag looks centered when "pancaked" out. I was hoping you can evaluate my picture and possible give me advice on how normal or abnormal it looks. I've seen this curved airbags on only a few trucks out of many. In the future i plan on going Porterbuild all the was around but I wanted if it is something I can fix while keeping the coat reasonable.

Again thank you for any input!!

~DropShot~ 05-09-2014 12:49 AM

Re: Airbag not centered on stock control arm

3 Attachment(s)
My truck aired out..

Hawghauler 05-09-2014 01:05 AM

I think usually you have a plate covering the top hole. It usually relocates the top of the bag. Then the bottom often has a piece of 6"(?) pipe filling the bottom bowl allowing the bag to completely flatten. I haven't installed mine yet, so I'm just pointing out what I've seen done in other builds. I'm sure someone with real experience here will enlighten you properly.

Hawghauler 05-09-2014 01:06 AM

P.S. Your truck looks killer!

~DropShot~ 05-09-2014 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawghauler (Post 6665864)
P.S. Your truck looks killer!

Thank you sir! Yeah I'm trying to figure out if the PO installed the front bags as it should be.

71tahoe 05-09-2014 10:03 AM

Yep, it will do that just like a bendy straw. That brake line bracket probably needs to be attached somewhere and there is no steering stop I can see. Also, you probably need some lower bump stops unless there some internally in the bags.

TrkEnvy 05-09-2014 03:23 PM

The problem is your PO used the factory spring pocket without modifying the lca.. To fix it you can cut the lower control arm and weld in a drop brace at the correct angle to get the geometry correct or you can cut it off and modify your upper control arm to hold the bag..

~DropShot~ 05-10-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71tahoe (Post 6666097)
Yep, it will do that just like a bendy straw. That brake line bracket probably needs to be attached somewhere and there is no steering stop I can see. Also, you probably need some lower bump stops unless there some internally in the bags.

Yes, there is definitely work that needs to be done, I just realized I was missing the lower bump stops until you pointed that out. I appreciate your input bud!

~DropShot~ 05-10-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrkEnvy (Post 6666494)
The problem is your PO used the factory spring pocket without modifying the lca.. To fix it you can cut the lower control arm and weld in a drop brace at the correct angle to get the geometry correct or you can cut it off and modify your upper control arm to hold the bag..

Thanks TrKEnvy, it makes sense what you're saying now that I'm looking at the picture. I would probably end up going that route, but would you recommend modified LCA that I can purchase?

67ctener 05-11-2014 12:49 AM

Nothing wrong with your set up. Many people are running this common plates/cups and it is fine.