The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   402 won't start! Need some help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=639565)

Badstar 08-14-2014 02:34 PM

402 won't start! Need some help

So I have a 71 1/2 ton long bed with a 402 that I got from and uncle before he passed away my problem is I've started trying to get her going and can't seem to get it to fire I have fuel cause I'm pouring some gas or squirting chemtool in the carb it has a points distributed my coil has power I set the dwell time to about 30 31 I'm having to power te ignition from the batter because the ignition switch is gone out of it I power the ignition and peer the starter and I have fire at the plugs but when I crank it it won't even try to fire up it won't back fire nothing at all just crank and crank I'm going to check the tileing when I get home tonight and run a compression test on it just to see and other thoughts or guesses would be appreciated cause I'm about at the end of my rope!

geezer#99 08-14-2014 02:48 PM

Re: 402 won't start! Need some help

Without it running, you can't set the dwell.
Pull your points out and clean them with a small file.
Gap your points at .019.

Badstar 08-14-2014 03:52 PM

Okay you can't set your dwell time with a dwell meter while cranking the engine over? And just curious on your thought if I have fire at my plug that should be close enough to get it to fire up correct? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way? By the way thanks for the help!

geezer#99 08-14-2014 04:33 PM

Never thought of that!
Could set dwell like that. I've always just set the gap.
Maybe time to start from the base. Retime it. #1 tdc compression. Line up the marks on the tab. See if it will fire. Keep advancing it a bit till it lights.

Badstar 08-14-2014 04:40 PM

Yeah haha you had me second guessing myself for a min there! And ya I was going to do that when I got home and run a compression check too but now I can't seem to fine my adapter hose for the gauge just my luck! And another thought in my head is even if the timing where for I should be getting aback fire spit sputter or something it's not doing anything that's what has me so confused

cadillac_al 08-14-2014 07:51 PM

The spark you are seeing is probably weak. I would invest in new points, condenser and cap and rotor. Back in the day I rarely got more than 2 years out of a set of points. On the farm trucks we changed them every year.

cableguy0 08-14-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac_al (Post 6802150)
The spark you are seeing is probably weak. I would invest in new points, condenser and cap and rotor. Back in the day I rarely got more than 2 years out of a set of points. On the farm trucks we changed them every year.

He^^ likely nailed it. If it was me instead of spending the 40 or 50 bucks on the new stuff for the point including a coil because screwing around with an ancient coil isn't worth the effort I would just get an hei and upgrade. Points really aren't worth the effort and maintenance. Hei has hotter spark and a whole lot let maintenance. Easier starts and better mileage etc.

Badstar 08-14-2014 08:56 PM

Alright I have a lot of hei parts laying around I'll just put one together and stab it in and see what happens I guess hopfully she will fire up!this truck and I are going to have a love hate relationship I swear

cableguy0 08-14-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badstar (Post 6802250)
Alright I have a lot of hei parts laying around I'll just put one together and stab it in and see what happens I guess hopfully she will fire up!this truck and I are going to have a love hate relationship I swear

So you and your truck will have a completely normal relationship.:lol::lol::lol:

cableguy0 08-14-2014 09:01 PM

Just remember to run a new 12 gauge power wire from the fuse block on an ignition unfused circuit to power the hei. The stock power wire to your current coil is a resistor wire and only 9 volts. The hei will not function properly on 9 volts.

Badstar 08-14-2014 09:01 PM

Pretty much this one just seems to be a lot worse than my other trucks this one has been a pain in the butt since the get go! I never had some many problems on one truck haha!!!

Badstar 08-14-2014 09:03 PM

Yes sir I do know to do that I know more about hei than I do points that's for sure! Thanks for all the help guys I really appriciate it

cg285 08-15-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cableguy0 (Post 6802184)
He^^ likely nailed it. If it was me instead of spending the 40 or 50 bucks on the new stuff for the point including a coil because screwing around with an ancient coil isn't worth the effort I would just get an hei and upgrade. Points really aren't worth the effort and maintenance. Hei has hotter spark and a whole lot let maintenance. Easier starts and better mileage etc.

points will easily last 50k miles or more if you know how to calibrate them. hei will put out a hotter spark ONLY if the plug gap is increased. in normal applications, with a .035 gap, around 10k volts is used to jump the gap. a points coil is capable of around 40k v. you don't need to carry a spare module with points