The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Sport Bumper Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=650539)

Already Gone 11-21-2014 08:23 PM

Rear Sport Bumper Question

4 Attachment(s)
I am sending this original ( but very tired ) rear sport bumper for new chrome. There are a couple holes in it that know don't belong and they will be be filled and rechromed. My question is are the holes I have circled in the pics factory holes? They are perfect round and they are on the edge chrome but I cant see a need for them as the bumper mounts with 4 bolts along the centre of the bumper. If they aren't original holes I will get them filled as well.

BKSS67 11-21-2014 08:39 PM

Re: Rear Sport Bumper Question

It's a little off topic, but some food for thought....

I'm not sure on the availability of parts in Canada, but it would be cost prohibitive to straighten and re-chrome that bumper here. A good quality repop bumper would be about $250 plus shipping.

Is custom plating and metal work significantly cheaper in Canada?

C/10 King 11-21-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 6927450)
I am sending this original ( but very tired ) rear sport bumper for new chrome. There are a couple holes in it that know don't belong and they will be be filled and rechromed. My question is are the holes I have circled in the pics factory holes? They are perfect round and they are on the edge chrome but I cant see a need for them as the bumper mounts with 4 bolts along the centre of the bumper. If they aren't original holes I will get them filled as well.

I don't know the answer, but I've seen holes like that before and never knew why. :uhmk:

Already Gone 11-21-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BKSS67 (Post 6927469)
It's a little off topic, but some food for thought....

I'm not sure on the availability of parts in Canada, but it would be cost prohibitive to straighten and re-chrome that bumper here. A good quality repop bumper would be about $250 plus shipping.

Is custom plating and metal work significantly cheaper in Canada?

No, its significantly higher ( as most things in Canada are compared to the USA ) but shipping to or from the USA, even Montana or North Dakota which my Province is attached to would be cost prohibitive.

Already Gone 11-21-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C/10 King (Post 6927473)
I don't know the answer, but I've seen holes like that before and never knew why. :uhmk:

Are there holes on any of your original truck bumpers? A great thing about the hobby of 67-72's is that there is always something to learn.

davischevy 11-21-2014 10:26 PM

Yes the holes you have circled are original.

Already Gone 11-21-2014 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 6927609)
Yes the holes you have circled are original.

Thanks for the info, now the big question, do you know what they are for ?

NGN 11-21-2014 11:18 PM

yep got them holes in my painted bumper also, I was actually thinking of putting red lights in them that work with the lights even the blinkers . but was talk out of it. before I painted it I was gonna weld tabs on the back to hold the wiring .

michael bustamante 11-21-2014 11:37 PM

I bet they are to mount bumper guards. Those 2 extensions with the rubber type stuff mounted on them
Oops nevermind. I just saw REAR bumper

davischevy 11-22-2014 12:11 AM

They have no operational purpose I know of. Maybe they were for the chrome plater to dip them.

Already Gone 11-22-2014 12:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will leave them then.

michael bustamante 11-22-2014 12:59 PM

I just looked. My step rear bumper has em too.

oldertruckfan 11-22-2014 10:32 PM

does it have something to do with the bumper jack?

davischevy 11-22-2014 11:29 PM

These trucks had a screw jack, that set under the suspension, so bumper jacks don't apply.

leh72super1500 11-23-2014 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have two of these bumpers and can confirm that they are factory. In addition there are two adjacent notches in both of mine which I am curious about. Does anybody body have any idea what these may be for?
Thanks

oldertruckfan 11-23-2014 11:34 AM

just out of curiosity, if the holes are in the exact same place in the front bumper, they may be tooling holes used when forming the bumper. I've never seen the tooling for the original bumper, but it wouldn't surprise me if the front and the back bumper came from the same dies in the fabrication process

davischevy 11-23-2014 12:49 PM

You will enjoy the quality, long after you have forgotten the price.

Already Gone 11-23-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leh72super1500 (Post 6929146)
I have two of these bumpers and can confirm that they are factory. In addition there are two adjacent notches in both of mine which I am curious about. Does anybody body have any idea what these may be for?
Thanks

That is exactly what my bumper looks like and I have the notches as well.

leh72super1500 11-23-2014 02:17 PM

A possible explanation for the holes and notches may be to accommodate a factory or specific aftermarket hitch. The holes would be for not necesarily bolting the hitch on but rather to stabilize the bumper after the hitch is on.

PanelDeland 11-23-2014 03:30 PM

Knowing GM's penchant for interchangeability, they may be Bumper jack holes/notches. The engineers may have come up with the suspension jack, probably as a money saving item before they finalized accessories but after the bumpers were designed. Or they may have been designed in as a spot for a High Lift jack since most trucks of this era were used as work trucks.

bigdog55 11-23-2014 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my GMC has 4 holes across the back bumper and all are used for mounting

Tim Christian 11-23-2014 07:49 PM

Those two holes are for production chroming/painting they all had these holes.