The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Another Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=650675)

Andy4639 11-23-2014 02:23 AM

Another Question

Would buying HP tuners be worth it for just a guy who wants to see what his truck is doing and not doing? I like the idea of being able to look at the data and changing stuff to see how it does. I just don't see it being that big of a help for a truck on the street. Once it's setup that's all I would want to do with it. I guess if I was going to be on the dragstrip on weekends maybe. I guess to if I change the cam and such it will need another tune also.

I've been thinking about buying it and having it just for my truck maybe my 08Tahoe. Would it be worth the $500.00 to have it.
:chevy:

truckdude239 11-23-2014 02:37 AM

Re: Another Question

Not really cause youd have to buy 2 licenses talking 1000 to 1500 buxs and if you dont know what your doing can really mess stuff up.

Just my honest opinion

Andy4639 11-23-2014 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 6929025)
Not really cause youd have to buy 2 licenses talking 1000 to 1500 buxs and if you dont know what your doing can really mess stuff up.

Just my honest opinion

I was looking on HP tunners website and thought for the $500.00 it was good for 2 vehicles. I may have looked at it wrong though. For that kind of dough it want be bought for sure.:chevy:

Hart_Rod 11-23-2014 11:11 AM

You get 8 credits when you buy HPTuners Pro ($649). It requires 2 credits/VIN that you license (good for 4 car tunes). After you license the tune, you can change it as many times as you would like. Each additional credit you buy is $50/credit. With that being said, if you are only buying it to monitor what your engine/transmission is doing, there are probably cheaper ways to do it.

BR3W CITY 11-23-2014 05:48 PM

Odd vehicles and the use of any Custom OS's takes extra credits, I'll throw it out there.

Andy4639 11-23-2014 05:59 PM

I thought for the $499 I got enough to do 2 vehicles. What I read is once I buy it I can do as many reflashes as I want to these two vehicles. I can view as many as I want for free. Is this not right.:chevy:

http://www.hptuners.com/order.php

clinebarger 11-23-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 6929682)
I thought for the $499 I got enough to do 2 vehicles. What I read is once I buy it I can do as many reflashes as I want to these two vehicles. I can view as many as I want for free. Is this not right.

The standard & Pro comes with 8 credits. Generally each vehicles takes 2 credits. From the website "Yes, both the Standard & Pro Version come with 8 credits."

I bought HP Tuners to turn off the EGR on my Duramax, After getting quoted some outrageous amounts to get it done with EFI Live & Have some A$$-Hat lock my ECM. The Scanner is not worth a crap on my Diesel, But works very well on gas stuff....But I don't use it because I have a GM Tech II.

Always save your tunes to separate files before making changes! That way, If you make mistakes...You can start all over.

BR3W CITY 11-24-2014 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 6930256)
Always save your tunes to separate files before making changes! That way, If you make mistakes...You can start all over.

THIS. You should see my guys latop file structure...its an OCD dream. He does time-incremental saves during each session, then puts them in master folders etc etc. Its really impressive to see him navigate probably 2-3k files for 5-600 tunes.

e015475 11-24-2014 11:40 AM

Wish I had HPTuner and knew how to use it - so I could "change things and see what happens" too, but without a lot of tuning 'cycles of learning' I'm spooked I'd screw something up - I'll continue to support my local tuner and not buy HPTuners

But if you just want to see what's going on, read codes and reset them, you can buy the ELM 327 chip in a cable that connects to your OBD2 port and a laptop USB. Scantool.net sells the software to display the diagnostics. I think you can buy the cable and the software for about $25 and it works on multiple vehicles. You can get real-time fuel trims, throttle angles, engine temps, speed, rpm and a bunch of other parameters too. Has some data logging features too. I found it a little fussy to set up, but it was fun watching what the engine was doing during normal driving cycles.

Custom 68 11-24-2014 01:30 PM

I have it and have the pro version. I wanted to easily hook up my wide band. My tuner offered lots of free tunes for me as I swapped things around however I always had to pay shipping back and forth. Plus my computer was somewhat burried so it was tough to get to. I bought it thru him and he sent me a new pcm unlocked and we could e-mail tunes back and forth.
It became necessary for me when I went turbo, it became tough to get it just right thru the mail. It did cost me extra credits since I went to a 2 bar tune. Anyway with the version like said you can really do 3 vehicles with it. I was able to tune my buddies and get his stuff turned off when he did the swap he kicked in for the credits plus a bit to help. It is fun and you will spend tons of time researching. I tuned my tahoe It helped as it runs great but I was hoping for better MPG but didnt help.

Hart_Rod 11-24-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Custom 68 (Post 6932200)
I have it and have the pro version. I wanted to easily hook up my wide band. My tuner offered lots of free tunes for me as I swapped things around however I always had to pay shipping back and forth. Plus my computer was somewhat burried so it was tough to get to. I bought it thru him and he sent me a new pcm unlocked and we could e-mail tunes back and forth.
It became necessary for me when I went turbo, it became tough to get it just right thru the mail. It did cost me extra credits since I went to a 2 bar tune. Anyway with the version like said you can really do 3 vehicles with it. I was able to tune my buddies and get his stuff turned off when he did the swap he kicked in for the credits plus a bit to help. It is fun and you will spend tons of time researching. I tuned my tahoe It helped as it runs great but I was hoping for better MPG but didnt help.

Hey Dave. I know it's too late for you, but HPTuners allows you update to a custom OS for free now....

Custom 68 11-24-2014 03:48 PM

thanks Rob, I am sure this wont be my last one... It was a little confusing at the time when I did the upgrade. It also got me real time tuning, I have yet to do this...

BR3W CITY 11-24-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6932255)
Hey Dave. I know it's too late for you, but HPTuners allows you update to a custom OS for free now....

When? That sh!t cost me an extra credit or two 6 months ago. Does that still include the upgrade to 3bar if you want it?

Hart_Rod 11-24-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6932598)
When? That sh!t cost me an extra credit or two 6 months ago. Does that still include the upgrade to 3bar if you want it?

J, this just happend in the last month or so. As far as I know this applies to all custom OS's. You also can now do your own transmission segment swaps, instead of having to get the HP customer support to do it. They are also working on incorporating a new tool that will allow you to do the Gen IV VE tables....

BR3W CITY 11-25-2014 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6932818)
J, this just happend in the last month or so. As far as I know this applies to all custom OS's. You also can now do your own transmission segment swaps, instead of having to get the HP customer support to do it. They are also working on incorporating a new tool that will allow you to do the Gen IV VE tables....

Again, I feel like I'm on another planet...we never had to call customer support for trans segments. I'm well aware I get to use "non release" versions of HPt, but I don't recall any of this stuff happening. Maybe I'm just really really jaded, but I guess I never noticed that we couldn't do ve tables on the Gen IV motors.

edit: we were using a stand alone on gen iv and not a GM ecm, NVM.

boostedc10 11-25-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6932818)

The segment swap feature in 2.25 is so nice to have. I hope they move it along with the Gen IV VE's though!