The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   CPP Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Caliper / Pad / Rotor Issue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655075)

mroho 01-03-2015 08:34 PM

CPP Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Caliper / Pad / Rotor Issue

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

Just installing the CPP rear disc brake kit on my 65 Chevy 1/2 ton with 6 lug wheels and am having a slight issue.

The calipers, loaded with the pads cannot fit over the rotor without forcing them on with a mallet (with significant force). When they are forced on, the rotors cannot spin freely. The caliper piston

The kid includes the 80-85 Cadillac Seville rotors and pads, with the CPP rotors.

Has anyone else run into this issue before? Is there anything that can be done or adjusted? Can I sand off some material off the pads (should be less than a 1/16th of an inch)?

I've attached a picture of the install.

Thanks in advance.

lolife99 01-03-2015 08:57 PM

Re: CPP Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Caliper / Pad / Rotor Issue

Unbolt the caliper bracket from the axle tube/backing plate flange.
Fit the caliper on the rotor.
Shim the bolts at the axle tube with washers.
Common problem,....

mroho 01-03-2015 09:11 PM

Thanks lolife99.

The caliper is not bolted to the bracket right now. Even with it detached, the caliper with pads cannot fit over the rotors (rotor is too wide for the space between the pads). Will detaching the bracket from the axle still help?

Thanks again, look forward to your response.
Mike

lolife99 01-03-2015 10:18 PM

I thought maybe the bracket had the caliper at an angle.
Is the caliper piston pushed in all the way?

mroho 01-03-2015 11:23 PM

Thanks again lolife99.

Yes, pretty sure the piston is in all of the way. I put a c-clamp on it, compressed it all of the way to where there is a c-clip retainer that holds the pads on that is limiting from going in any further.

Think I may try sanding the pads a little tomorrow to fit better. That is the only thing I can think of that may work to make it fit.

Mike

lolife99 01-03-2015 11:55 PM

Did you see this thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=403246&page=2

You might contact some of these members,...

mroho 01-04-2015 01:40 AM

Thanks. Looks like some others have had similar problems with the same kit.

Was hoping for a simple bolt on with this kit, looks like I have some playing around to do with them to make them work properly. Nothing seems to simply bolt on with these trucks, should be used to that now.

Take care

turbohounds 01-04-2015 10:07 AM

I had a similar problem with my front CPP kit. I sanded down the pads to where they could slide on easily.

mroho 01-07-2015 12:11 AM

turbohounds, thanks. I sanded down the outside pad on each side by about a 1/16th of an inch, that seemed to do the trick. Now my hubs spin freely with no drag.

MMiller1050 03-25-2021 09:14 PM

Just to add....I also bought and are in the process of installing the Rear Disc kit from CPP. I am test fitting everything now and it seems to have gone on without the problems mentioned here. Rotors, calipers and pads no problem. Still have to setup all the brake lines and adjust the e-brake but I hope no problems there.