The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A/C - finish out factory setup or install aftermarket? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=659732)

HomerJ 02-10-2015 02:08 PM

A/C - finish out factory setup or install aftermarket?

So, I've read a bunch of posts about upgrading vs repairing/refurbishing the factory item. I already have a compressor, hoses, drier and a few other parts. I would need to get a new evaporator and condenser and possibly a poa valve. On top of all that, I'm not real crazy about the factory brackets (Not to mention the behemoth housing under the hood!)

Would I be better off selling my current parts inventory and going with an aftermarket setup?

Are the aftermarket brackets any better? I have the type that bolts to the water pump and intake manifold (the part I don't like).

serge 02-10-2015 03:05 PM

Re: A/C - finish out factory setup or install aftermarket?

I debated same item for 2 years. Have AC cab but needed many pieces, parts and knowledge to get it back to factory air again.
Finally decided to go with aftermarket. Got Vintage Air package and just finished installing last week-end. It works very nicely.
Decent instructions and some great tech support people helped me do it myself which is main reason I went this route.
My 2 cents.
Good luck.

engineer_gregh 02-10-2015 05:37 PM

I got my original up and running on 134a by changing out the POA to a cycling switch. Not completely happy and might end up ripping it out for a modern system. If I keep the old system I really need to change the condenser to the hi flow type or live with the a/c blowing high 40's to low 50's depending on weather.

knomadd 02-10-2015 06:59 PM

I had the same dilemma on my 65 GTO. The PO had ripped most of it out so I went on a few years search and found some parts, but still needed quite a bit. I wound up finding a local hot rod shop that did several swaps and the owner had a Vintage Air setup in his car. Had a 67 Impala in the shop that had a factory system with 134a conversion and he let me compare the two. The Vintage Air system was colder by a few degrees (5-10, can't remember exactly). The smaller compressor and options for mounting (serpentine or v-belt) sold me on aftermarket. I now have a Vintage Air unit in my GTO and my non-A/C '71 C/10. I love it! Cleans up under the hood nicely. Only thing I don't like is the lack of glove box.

glens/72 02-10-2015 11:17 PM

Go with gen five. No cables to dick around with.

hdff 02-10-2015 11:28 PM

I Am in the process of gathering what I need to get the factory unit running again. One of my concerns if I go aftermarket is what the firewall will look like when the evaporator housing is gone . My truck is not the factory color and the fire wall behind the housing is

screaminchevypickup 02-10-2015 11:39 PM

Go vintage air!! Great units.. I've sold and installed more than I can count. Never have had a return yet.

colgad 02-11-2015 12:28 AM

Do not repair the OEM unit.
Vintage Air, just works and easy to install.
You even get a new Air control plastic guide that has the corrected face.

kamikazekyle05 02-11-2015 12:55 AM

For any of you guys that have had both, how is the air flow out of the vents between the two?

MARKDTN 02-11-2015 08:09 AM

If the engine brackets bother you, get a new Sanden compressor and brackets. That solves the A6 compressor issue and gets you pretty brackets. I would stay original if you have most of it. Since you don't have a condenser, you could upgrade that pretty easily.

serge 02-11-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdff (Post 7043239)
I Am in the process of gathering what I need to get the factory unit running again. One of my concerns if I go aftermarket is what the firewall will look like when the evaporator housing is gone . My truck is not the factory color and the fire wall behind the housing is

Not sure what to do about color concern but for me the new space was perfect for radiator coolant recovery tank.

cericd 02-11-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7042830)
Only thing I don't like is the lack of glove box.

Is there a way to use a Vintage Air setup and retain full use of the glove box? Also, does the Vintage Air setup affect the use of the passenger fresh air vent?

serge 02-11-2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cericd (Post 7043595)
Is there a way to use a Vintage Air setup and retain full use of the glove box? Also, does the Vintage Air setup affect the use of the passenger fresh air vent?

Having just installed one in 70 c-20, I do not see any way to maintain full glove box. Unit tight to firewall and due to depth of unit the glove box space has to shrink. Maybe somebody could build out a cavity in firewall but that's over my head.
Regarding fresh air vents its your choice. Per Vintage tech says its important to close vents during operation. Since vent almost entirely covered I removed and covered with provided cap.

knomadd 02-11-2015 06:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cericd (Post 7043595)

You still have a glove box, just very minimal. No way to keep the original glove box with any aftermarket unit I've seen. They all install under the dash so they don't protrude into the engine bay. Here's what it looks like without the liner:
Attachment 1362321
With the glove box liner:
Attachment 1362322

You're supposed to seal off the fresh air vent, but I didn't. I conveniently "forgot" and the A/C functions fine. I can still open it... not sure if it's limited or full travel. It's been a while since I looked.

72MARIO 02-11-2015 07:27 PM

I guess I am the only one that does not like my aftermarket ac,...

Andy4639 02-11-2015 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I say go with stock looking parts but change them to 134a with orffice tube system. This is what I did and mine works great. 38-45 degree's in the mid of summer.:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSCF2645.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/IMG_3602.JPG

HomerJ 02-11-2015 11:44 PM

First, thanks for all the info!

For those that don't like your aftermarket units, what did you go with and what about it do you not like?

I have the same reservations about the glove box and fresh air as others have stated.

Does anyone make an aftermarket bracket that bolts to the head? I have am aftermarket alternator bracket on my Chevelle, but can't remember the name of the company that made it (first sign of old age!)

ole dollor 02-11-2015 11:53 PM

if you have most all the parts, not sure anything would beat the factory set up . if you did not have a factory air cab ,then you could buy the after market in dash air.... just saying .

72MARIO 02-12-2015 12:00 AM

I don't like not having the ability to blend the tempature or access outside are. I have a old air setup. All aftermarket is the same junk..only inside is is recirculated.

DeadheadNM 02-12-2015 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ole dollor (Post 7044756)
if you have most all the parts, not sure anything would beat the factory set up . if you did not have a factory air cab ,then you could buy the after market in dash air.... just saying .

x2

RedRoad 02-12-2015 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 7044605)
I say go with stock looking parts but change them to 134a with orffice tube system. This is what I did and mine works great. 38-45 degree's in the mid of summer.

Looks great! Have a parts list for the conversion?

Andy4639 02-12-2015 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRoad (Post 7044955)
Looks great! Have a parts list for the conversion?

No sorry I don't, I did this mod close to 20 years ago.
That's what the diagram at the bottom was for. You buy the same parts but just get them for 134a. Left side is 134a stuff.
;)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1423708093

Here is who I bought my stuff from.
I had like $900.00 in everything.
:chevy:

http://www.classicautoair.com/