The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Build idea for my '67 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=666530)

Donzie 04-08-2015 10:12 PM

Build idea for my '67

1 Attachment(s)
I've got '67 C10 short box.
I've been thinking I would just make a "shop truck", leaving the patina, running steels wheels, lowering a little.
I was looking at some pics of Tri-five gassers (I really like gassers) and it sparked some ideas.
So here's what I'm thinking.
Lose the front bumper, add a spun alum gas tank in the grill.
Runs some 14" vintage black mag wheels (I already have) to make the front end look higher (I'm not gonna run a straight axle) and some fat tires on steel wheels in the rear.
Add a few automotive stickers and maybe a sponsor name.
The trunk runs a 350, 4bbl, 700R tranny and a stock rear end.
Obviously the truck will be more about looks than high performance.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

swamp rat 04-09-2015 01:40 AM

Re: Build idea for my '67

I think a spun aluminum gas tank in the grill would be illegal, i may be wrong but i think the cops would be alover it. But if you ever hit anybody it could be nasty.

special-K 04-09-2015 07:10 AM

Nah, these were support vehicles back in the last days of Gassers. If you love gassers and want your truck to have that vibe, make it a shop truck or a push truck that would have supported a gasser. You wouldn't be recreating anything from back then making it a gasser, just a distorted misinterpretation, IMO.

67 cst swb 04-09-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7125703)
Nah, these were support vehicles back in the last days of Gassers. If you love gassers and want your truck to have that vibe, make it a shop truck or a push truck that would have supported a gasser. You wouldn't be recreating anything from back then making it a gasser, just a distorted misinterpretation, IMO.

Agreed

Donzie 04-09-2015 10:21 AM

Wickipedia:

"A gasser is a type of hot rod originating on the dragstrips of the United States in the late 1950s and continued until the early 1970s. Gassers are based on production models from the 1930s to mid-1960s, which have been stripped of extraneous weight and jacked up using a beam axle to provide better weight distribution on acceleration (beam axles are also lighter than an independent front suspension), though a raised stock front suspension is common as well. Common weight reduction techniques include fiberglass body panels, stripped interiors and plexiglass windows (sometimes color tinted)."

So I think I'd be period correct, but thanks for the input.

cooperhw 04-09-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donzie (Post 7125894)
Wickipedia:

"A gasser is a type of hot rod originating on the dragstrips of the United States in the late 1950s and continued until the early 1970s. Gassers are based on production models from the 1930s to mid-1960s, which have been stripped of extraneous weight and jacked up using a beam axle to provide better weight distribution on acceleration (beam axles are also lighter than an independent front suspension), though a raised stock front suspension is common as well. Common weight reduction techniques include fiberglass body panels, stripped interiors and plexiglass windows (sometimes color tinted)."

Well as usual I will have to buck the trend and say "your truck, do whatever you want to it". It could look cool. Putting in a straight axle from Speedway would probably be your best bet on that end.
I got a 67 Nova project that I also started down this path. Tried using a straight axle out of a Ferd car and could never get the death wobble out of it. I cut the tube frame off and grafted an S10 front suspension in it's place.
Once again, your truck do as you please. Not my cup of tea but it don't have to be. I will be following to see if do anything on this idea.

Donzie 04-09-2015 11:57 AM

As I said, thanks for the input. It's always good to hear other perspectives.
I doubt I'll do a straight axle, I plan on the truck quite a bit, I just want a "race" look about it.

67 cst swb 04-09-2015 12:10 PM

Well, Although it is your truck and you can do what you want with it.
Just because you can... doesn't mean you should.
I have been to and around quite a few gasser events and "gasser's 4 ever" people. Never do I remember seeing a pickup as a gasser (except a early Willy's pickup of coarse).
As stated above, a pickup was a support vehicle at the time, "back in the day".
Also stated above... "Gassers are based on production models from the 1930s to mid-1960s"... your truck (in my opinion) is late 60's.
It would be my suggestion to find a car, any production model from the 1930s to mid-1960s and build that as a gasser.
Again... this is all just my opinion... and you are totally free to do whatever you want.
I just think it would be like chocolate cheese, meaning it wouldn't look right, wouldn't taste right and just shouldn't be done.

special-K 04-09-2015 12:29 PM

[quote=Donzie;7125397]I've got '67 C10 short box.
I've been thinking I would just make a "shop truck", leaving the patina, running steels wheels, lowering a little.
I was looking at some pics of Tri-five gassers (I really like gassers) and it sparked some ideas.
So here's what I'm thinking..............................
.............Obviously the truck will be more about looks than high performance.
Any thoughts or suggestions?[/quote]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donzie (Post 7125894)
Wickipedia:

"A gasser is a type of hot rod originating on the dragstrips of the United States in the late 1950s and continued until the early 1970s. Gassers are based on production models from the 1930s to mid-1960s, which have been stripped of extraneous weight and jacked..........."

I knew about gassers long before Wikipedia. I grew up on gassers...and these trucks since they were new. I'm saying, while these trucks were in existence during the gasser era, they were too new (and heavy) to be seen on the track (a few rare exceptions) in any class, let alone as gassers. For one thing, gassers were primarily old small bodied cars, even foreign. You would see these trucks all over the background as haulers, NHRA Safety, push trucks, shop trucks, etc. Very few took newer vehicles and stripped them out to be gassers. I like the drag strip vibe on a truck, but if I was going for a back in time look I would want to get it right.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperhw (Post 7126000)
Well as usual I will have to buck the trend and say "your truck, do whatever you want to it"...

I'm not following any trend, just offering thoughts and suggestions as requested. I don't tell people what to do with their stuff. Just offer info for them to consider that could help them make a better decision.

67 cst swb 04-09-2015 12:39 PM

Build it as a push truck. I have had thoughts of doing that myself.
At the Cacklefest last October at Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, California, I think there was 3 of our 67-72 pickups as push trucks. Very cool drag race vibe to a push truck.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=21239

If you look at the one below long enough you will see a push truck in the background.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=21240

lolife99 04-09-2015 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not a gasser fan,... but here's a thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=547703
And a cool squarebody rendering,...

lolife99 04-09-2015 02:44 PM

I'd like to have your truck just the way it is,...

special-K 04-10-2015 07:19 AM

One other point. Building it for looks more than performance, IMO, is a bad move. At least with such a radical all about performance look. Do you really want people to come look at your truck only to be disappointed that it's all show and no go? If that truck doesn't have some thumpin' big cube motor, or at least a sound that turns heads, I don't think you'll be enjoying it all that much.

7tee 04-10-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 cst swb (Post 7126074)
Build it as a push truck. I have had thoughts of doing that myself.
At the Cacklefest last October at Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield, California, I think there was 3 of our 67-72 pickups as push trucks. Very cool drag race vibe to a push truck.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=21239

If you look at the one below long enough you will see a push truck in the background.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=21240

Man I liked to have never found it, but I think I did, cool...:chevy:

Donzie 04-10-2015 09:42 PM

I have to say, all these comments are food for thought.
On the comment of not seeing gasser trucks, a Google image search netted many great looking examples. Most are more radical than I would do since I'm not gonna actually race it anyway.
I get the idea of a push truck but from what I've found they look like regular trucks with a board on the front bumper. Although I did like the red one that someone posted with a "broad" on the bumper.
The "shop truck" look was what I originally was going with, just thought a gasser would be a cool look, but it seems a little offensive to some people.
You have to understand that where I live in Michigan drag racing is not as big as in CA so I'm not as well versed in the history of it. I just like the looks and thought it might look good on the truck, perhaps I'm wrong. As far as gassers go, my favorite (besides a Willys coupe) is a '55 Chevy.
So I may rethink my plan and see if I can find a happy medium.
Thanks again for all the input.

NTIMID8R 04-11-2015 01:30 AM

Buy the 55 Chevy, make IT a gasser and use the truck to tow it with:metal:

truckster 04-11-2015 01:37 AM

I guess it's just a matter of deciding if you're going to do what you want or what other people think. Unless you're considering its resale value down the road, in which case you might lean a little more to the conventional....

special-K 04-11-2015 07:33 AM

I really don't care what you do with it, certainly not offended. As we say, "It's your truck to do what you want with". We are in the "post gasser" era by about 40 years now. Eyes have turned back on the gassers, as well as all the good old stuff from the '50s into the '70s cars stuff. There was a huge gap in interest as most followed along with each passing trend along the way till the old became the next great thing. I'm saying, back in the real days of gassers you would not have seen a 67-72 truck on the track. You didn't see earlier year trucks, either, till maybe back into pre-41. since the look has come bck into popularity we see all sorts of "street Freaks" built that never would have been back in the day. The '55 Chevys were at the heavy end of the spectrum back in the day. Probably only saw those raced because they were such an all around favorite. A 67-72 truck would make a cool looking gasser. I just think it wouldn't be the greatest for daily driving and certainly would miss the mark with a mild engine. It's like a Harley I had. I got stuff chromed, changed this around and that to get the look I wanted. Then I had it painted black cherry with two sets of dancing ghost flames. While I had done some performance things to give it more get up and go, that thing with a hot rod paint job was screaming for an all out badass thumpin' motor...which did come next (after another 6 grand). I felt stupid riding a bike with a radical flame job and less than 100hp. You had to know it had something just by the idle. It needed the muscle to back up the look.

Donzie 04-12-2015 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTIMID8R (Post 7128463)
Buy the 55 Chevy, make IT a gasser and use the truck to tow it with:metal:

Don't I wish!!!!
A '55 is one of my dream cars.

NTIMID8R 04-12-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donzie (Post 7129632)
Don't I wish!!!!
A '55 is one of my dream cars.

It's been my fav since I was a kid. Man, that was a long time ago:ack:

kitsbeach 04-12-2015 01:05 PM

Your truck is so cool as is..!! Static drop with steelies..!!

Donzie 04-12-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitsbeach (Post 7130023)
Your truck is so cool as is..!! Static drop with steelies..!!

My original plan was red 15x8 and 15x6 steelies with narrow whitewalls and '56 Chevy Belair hubcaps.

Mapearso 04-12-2015 03:34 PM

clean it up, drop it, and call it a day

It's a nice truck as-is

Blakeman350 04-12-2015 07:26 PM

Hey brother I get what your saying a shop truck with a "gasser" vibe, not a full on gasser. I say do it. I've never seen a shop truck mixed with the gasser look. If done right it would make a killer looking truck and it would be different, sometimes that's the point.:metal:

kitsbeach 04-13-2015 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donzie (Post 7130161)
My original plan was red 15x8 and 15x6 steelies with narrow whitewalls and '56 Chevy Belair hubcaps.

Belair hubcaps are a great idea..!!