The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cab Gas Filler Hole (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=672827)

summitflier 06-04-2015 01:14 PM

Cab Gas Filler Hole

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone who is moving their cab mounted tank to under bed?

What do you do with the old cab hole?
Weld in a piece of sheet metal?

Another thought I had was to saw off the fill neck from the (internal) tank
shove it through the rubber grommet and put a gas cap on it, and make it
look like I still had an internal tank.

Other ideas? An easier way?

hamjet 06-04-2015 01:27 PM

Re: Cab Gas Filler Hole

"Another thought I had was to saw off the fill neck from the (internal) tank
shove it through the rubber grommet and put a gas cap on it"..... just make sure you weld or glue the cap to the neck if you do this. someone might borrow your truck and try filling the tank. Most people weld a patch there.

WarMonger 06-04-2015 01:30 PM

LMC truck sells a pre-cut sheet metal piece that is a good fit. buy that and weld it in.

H20cooled 06-04-2015 01:44 PM

I just did like you mentioned I cut off the filler neck but I welded the bottom of the filler next up tight and painted it black. Its not in the truck yet but it should work good.

davepl 06-04-2015 01:55 PM

Whoa. Isn't anyone worried about sawing a fuel tank?

When I did it once for my Camaro, I took the tank out and filled it with water. If it's been empty for years, maybe. But gas fumes plus spark will ruin your whole day.

H20cooled 06-04-2015 01:57 PM

The tank had been completely emptied and sitting for 6 months outside and open. I then filled it with water and made sure that nothing else was in there. I had no issues after doing this with cutting it. But yes need to be careful with doing this.

cdowns 06-04-2015 02:06 PM

You can easily put a rubber chicken into that hole

Bigdav160 06-04-2015 02:24 PM

I welded mine up but I painted the truck after that.

With that patina I'd put a filler neck with a red rag shoved in it for effect

Jonlopes 06-04-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 7198119)
You can easily put a rubber chicken into that hole

Wow, did anyone else laugh out loud after reading this? The visuals...

truckster 06-04-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamjet (Post 7198072)
someone might borrow your truck and try filling the tank.

I wonder how many gallons that would take. I guess it would depend on how good your door seals are, and whether you have rust through the floor.

rustrunner 06-04-2015 07:00 PM

+1 for the RED RAG solution

hammerholley 06-04-2015 11:23 PM

I put a horn button! Awsome it says chevrolet division. No pick. Don't copy if your in 36117...
I will find out you know. jk

hammerholley 06-04-2015 11:26 PM

You could put a nos energy drink can in it like you are filling up. But then you would be taking my other idea...thats okay some people just dont have it. I cant read.

71swb4x4 06-05-2015 12:01 AM

I left the rubber grommet on it, put the gas cap up to the grommet, put a 6" bolt on the back side, and used two zip ties to attach the tabs on the gas cap to the long bolt. No need for it to be a bolt, anything about that length would work, a pencil, dowel, branch, etc.

Fitz 06-05-2015 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summitflier (Post 7198049)
Anyone who is moving their cab mounted tank to under bed?

What do you do with the old cab hole?
Weld in a piece of sheet metal?

Another thought I had was to saw off the fill neck from the (internal) tank
shove it through the rubber grommet and put a gas cap on it, and make it
look like I still had an internal tank.

Other ideas? An easier way?

I personally like the rubber chicken solution proposed earlier! :jest:

Userone 06-05-2015 12:08 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=250995

summitflier 07-13-2015 01:16 PM

It has been mentioned that a few places sell patch panels for this.
Does anyone have a link?

In The Ten Ring 07-13-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H20cooled (Post 7198111)
The tank had been completely emptied and sitting for 6 months outside and open. I then filled it with water and made sure that nothing else was in there. I had no issues after doing this with cutting it. But yes need to be careful with doing this.

My uncle's late 1960's Lincoln was rear-ended by a large truck and the gas tank was punctured.

My dad welded up the punctures while the tank was on the car and 1/2 full of gasoine.

How did a man manage to do that without an explosion? Easy! The Fire Triangle.

Gasoline (like most everything else) needs three things to burn. Take away any of the three and it cannot burn. Dad ran a hose from his (now my) truck's exhaust to the tank nozzle. Then he idled the truck before and while he was welding. Carbon monoxide fumes displaced the air (containing the essential oxygen) and the gasoline could not burn or explode.

The coal mine where my dad worked didn't call him "The Doc" for nothing!

summitflier 07-13-2015 01:43 PM

Finally found a place.

http://www.azproperformance.com/AVS-...-GDFPGM67.html

SKU SM-GDFPGM67

$25.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-72-chevy-...item23545dc1e8

$14.95 (only has 1 left)

shawley 07-13-2015 03:01 PM

I just picked up a chrome gas cap from LMC, and then we took it apart, and fabbed up a mount from the rear to hold it in place. My truck's paint was good and I didn't wanna do any body work and fill it etc. the original rubber worked nice to seal it up.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psudrgcwyp.jpg

jdalexa84 07-14-2015 09:05 PM

I have a friend who put his antenna there. It was an electric one. Looked awesome.

H20cooled 07-14-2015 09:23 PM

I love my dad's suggestion and I might just have to try it. My filler is just the neck welded closed with the cap on it, he said to put one of those spring snake things that were in the old can of nuts. It would be a good funny joke.

Robznob11 07-14-2015 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put a piece of cardboard behind it , use a sharpie , make a pattern, pick up some 16 gauge plate at hardware store, cut it out with a jig saw , clean it up with a grinder. Then weld it up with a mig. You could probably do it with a cheap flux welder. This particular spot is very ridged and will not warp very easy. Slap on some filler and paint . Wala

BigMike 07-14-2015 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summitflier (Post 7239826)

I bought my fuel filler hole plate, side marker plates, stake pocket plates and he made A/C firewall filler plates for me as well. All precision laser cut and a great guy to deal with, he'd get my vote. If he doesn't have one up for sale just email him.

Gravityamp 07-17-2015 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 7239806)
My uncle's late 1960's Lincoln was rear-ended by a large truck and the gas tank was punctured.

My dad welded up the punctures while the tank was on the car and 1/2 full of gasoine.

How did a man manage to do that without an explosion? Easy! The Fire Triangle.

Gasoline (like most everything else) needs three things to burn. Take away any of the three and it cannot burn. Dad ran a hose from his (now my) truck's exhaust to the tank nozzle. Then he idled the truck before and while he was welding. Carbon monoxide fumes displaced the air (containing the essential oxygen) and the gasoline could not burn or explode.

The coal mine where my dad worked didn't call him "The Doc" for nothing!

This is true , my dad showed me this too . The first time I ever saw him do it everybody scattered thinking this man was crazy . Even seeing it and being there never really quite prepares oneself for that first arc of a welder on fuel tank . Nerve racking but it get easier the more you do it lol
Thank you for posting , this brought back some great memories of superman ( my dad)

peace