The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   GM Frame build - Observations and question about cent bolt for leaf springs. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=673955)

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-15-2015 10:34 PM

GM Frame build - Observations and question about cent bolt for leaf springs.

(71 Custom Deluxe - 1/2 short fleet)

The front bed brackets don't match. They're the same part, but the mounts have a short "flare/wing" on both sides at the top, only one side of the flare is shorter than the other on both pieces. One was "reversed", and they simply don't match (hardly noticeable). GM worker figures it works either way, so don't worry about it. 50/50 chance they'll match anyway...ha!

The center rail on the frame under the bed is off square by about 1.25". Not sure why that is, maybe to add strength. That or it doesn't matter. Is that common?

That center bolt "tie-bolt"for the leaf springs ("tie-bolt").......... the mount is notched so you can slip the head of the bolt in, right? As far as I can tell, there's no other way to get a bolt in there.

Thanks for any input.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-16-2015 11:52 AM

Re: GM Frame build - Observations and question about cent bolt for leaf springs.

ttt

Lees68GMC 06-16-2015 12:19 PM

Re: GM Frame build - Observations and question about cent bolt for leaf springs.

1 Attachment(s)
Ive been looking for quite a while for new springs to lower with, maybe 2-3 inches and don't want to flip kit. My GMCs springs are only 2-1/4" wide but are stiff (spring rate). And YES that cross-member is crooked in all of them

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-16-2015 10:51 PM

I suspected so. Probably adds strength. That frame of yours looks familiar, only you're ahead of me. I'm just in paint removal mode. Exhaust, brakes and shocks come off later. Maybe the springs........certainly the u-Bolts for them.

Safe to say the mount for the center bolt for the leafs is notched, so you can get the head of the bolt into the mount? I guess I'm looking for confirmation Really, it's the only thing that makes sense.

I've been thinking about a drop myself. My brother says losing one leaf spring gives you 2", then all you need is different coil springs on the front. I've done a little homework, and at this point I'm calling BS. Unless I can hire someone to do it the right way for under $1200, it's just not worth it to me........ALREADY A MONEY PIT. Ha!

BrianG 06-17-2015 10:03 AM

The bolt that goes through the center of the leaf springs has a round head, not hex shape like a normal bolt would. Sort of like an Allen type of bolt, but I don't think the original ones had a place to put an allen wrench into. I think most aftermarket ones do though. The mount that it sets on should have a round hole where the "bolt" from the leaf spring sets in to.

Sorry I don't have any pictures readily available to show you, but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to explain.

old Chevy guy 06-17-2015 07:37 PM

There is a hole for that bolt head and yes its round, sitting in that hole locates the spring on the rear end and keeps it from sliding in the u bolts.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-18-2015 01:00 AM

I'm confused. The mount (plate) where the center bolt goes through is welded to the axle, and there's only about 3/8" clearance between the mount and axle. So unless I'm missing something, there's NO WAY to get that bolt through the mount from the bottom. Is it possible the only way is to cut the mount, slide in the bolt and then weld it back on? Doesn't seem right. Note: I'm quite sure it's stock. Stock option from what I'm hearing, but I've also heard the Custom Deluxe came with leaf springs instead of coils.

chiefcfd 06-18-2015 07:34 AM

The tie bolt does not mount to the axle perch. The bolt sits in a pocket hole. That's why you can't use a regular hex head bolt. It is used only as a locater pin. The u-bolts hold the axle. Do not weld anything.

Lees68GMC 06-18-2015 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Look you really don't need to over-think this.

Hardened, threaded steel rod (Car Quest, Auto-zone has new ones if needed) passes through every leaf in the package and when tightened down, compresses and holds the entire leaf spring package together.

Easiest details to address the hole / nut fitment issue in the welded on, axle spring perch is to buy 4 all steel Grade 8 lock nuts, Not Nylocks (install 2 on each leaf package) once tightened down they won't be going anywhere. The lock-nut that needs to fit inside the axle's welded spring perch hole won't fit as is. Using a small hand grinder, carefully round off the faces of the lock nut, a little at a time because Ideally you want that nut to fit Tight in the perch mount's hole, force fit would be best, as it's Now functioning as a "location pin" to prevent the leaf spring package from moving around. Install both 4 hole plates, U-bolts and nuts. Plop down in the man cave lawn chair, consume frosty cold one, while reflecting on a job well done.
Hope it helps.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-18-2015 12:30 PM

I think I understand now. The tie-bolt simply holds the leafs together. It doesn't mount anything. The U-bolts are what mount the leafs to the axle. Thanks for all the input.