The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rare '67 ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=674370)

'67 Rookie 06-20-2015 07:26 PM

Rare '67 ?

Hi, I'm a new Chevy owner and could use some guidance. We have a '67 C10 4WD short bed, 6 cyl, 3 on the tree. The guy helping me with body work says it's a rare truck because it has leaf springs in the rear instead of the coil springs. Apparently he hasn't seen this combination of truck before. He says its worth a lot of money (not my reason for owning it by the way) if it's done right. I've been told the gearing was special ordered with a final ratio close to or over 5.0! I also thought the 4WD made it a K10, but the id plate in the glovebox calls it a C10. Needless to say as a new Chevy owner and new to restoration I could use some suggestions on how to proceed. So far the exterior is shaping up nicely, interior as well. I would not call it restoration grade, but it looks great. Almost ready for paint. Engine compartment, drivetrain, undercarriage, have had no work done (except POR on frame). Some questions I would ask a seasoned Chevy guy would be: Should I spend a lot of money to fully restore this truck, or make it look nice and drive it with pride? Should I Convert to V8 with newer tranny? Should I paint it a cool color or paint it the original pale yellow? Is this combination really that rare, and is it really worth a lot of money? I don't want to think of it as an investment, but don't want to ruin a truck that is or could be special. I'll take any and all feedback. Thanks, Rick

GASoline71 06-20-2015 07:32 PM

Re: Rare '67 ?

Do your truck the way you want. Don't take someone else's suggestions and run with them. I know you're getting ideas, but if you're happy with the I-6 and the TOTT leave it. If you desire a V-8 with an auto... then go for it. :)

I don't think any 4x4's in the 67-72 years had coil spring rear ends... but I could be wrong. If your SPID shows a "C" 10 then someone converted it to a "K" 10. Posy a picture of the SPID on the glovebox door.

Gary

Fitz 06-20-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '67 Rookie (Post 7216108)
Hi, I'm a new Chevy owner and could use some guidance. We have a '67 C10 4WD short bed, 6 cyl, 3 on the tree. The guy helping me with body work says it's a rare truck because it has leaf springs in the rear instead of the coil springs. Apparently he hasn't seen this combination of truck before. He says its worth a lot of money (not my reason for owning it by the way) if it's done right. I've been told the gearing was special ordered with a final ratio close to or over 5.0! I also thought the 4WD made it a K10, but the id plate in the glovebox calls it a C10. Needless to say as a new Chevy owner and new to restoration I could use some suggestions on how to proceed. So far the exterior is shaping up nicely, interior as well. I would not call it restoration grade, but it looks great. Almost ready for paint. Engine compartment, drivetrain, undercarriage, have had no work done (except POR on frame). Some questions I would ask a seasoned Chevy guy would be: Should I spend a lot of money to fully restore this truck, or make it look nice and drive it with pride? Should I Convert to V8 with newer tranny? Should I paint it a cool color or paint it the original pale yellow? Is this combination really that rare, and is it really worth a lot of money? I don't want to think of it as an investment, but don't want to ruin a truck that is or could be special. I'll take any and all feedback. Thanks, Rick

With over 200,000 made that model year no variant could be called 'rare'. Build what you want. If you do quality work nothing you do will lower the value of your truck.

too much stuff 06-20-2015 09:18 PM

A 67 4x4 shortbed would be somewhat rare. Any shortbed 4x4 would be worth some decent money if "done right". I would guess the gearing to be 3:73 or possibly 4:11 were available. All 4x4 trucks were leaf springs front and rear.
If you could post a pic of the options inside the glovebox door we can break it down for you.

Nitis 06-20-2015 09:41 PM

to my best knowledge they were called C10s even until 1970 at least where the K came from is the vin number if there was a K in the begining of the Vin it was a factory 4x4 so then they started calling them K10s Even having C10 fender badges

Nope never seen a coil spring 4x4 but 2wd came both ways so thats probably where this guys confusion is stemmed

Blue GMC 06-21-2015 06:51 PM

Not taking 4x4 into consideration. Chevys usually had the coil rears and GMC had leafs atleast on 2 wheel drive trucks this could be different with 4x4 though

PanelDeland 06-21-2015 08:23 PM

I've never seen a 4X4 with coils in the rear,even converted. Most who convert,want to have off road capability and the leafs are much better for that.I would really be surprised if it were a factory 4X4 if it has a C code on the SPID. Keep in mind that you need to check the SPID against the VIN to make sure the GB door is original.

72kool 06-22-2015 02:06 AM

I am by no means an expert on this and hopefully some of the other members will help here. But it is not so much a rare but a very nice desirable truck. Being a shortbed 4x4 is what makes it that way. The c10 part of it is either 1 of two options. It was converted to 4x4 or it could be factory. That doesn't help much but they did not call them k10 in till after '70. The inline 6 and 3ott was a common setup. Any rarity it would have will be in the smaller options listed on the spid. But what it comes down to is, how would you like the truck?? Do it that way. These are very popular right now and not much you could do to lower the value. Sounds like you have a really nice truck. Enjoy the heck out of it

special-K 06-22-2015 06:25 AM

The guy doing your body work doesn't know what he's talking about. That's why I didn't red any further than his coil spring comment. Was there a bar stool stuck to his butt? Or, is he just a person who professes his ignorance? :lol: You're in the right place now if you need accurate info. All 4wds had leaf springs front and rear.

EDIT: Ok, I read more. No 1/2t trucks came with such a low gearing and if it had any optional ratio it would be listed on the SPID. But, since it appears to be a C/10 on a 4wd frame that will not be the correct SPID...unless the glovebox door was retained. I have to wonder if the 4wd frame is a '67 frame or even a 67-72 at all. Do the rear shocks stagger forward and rearward or do they both face forward? I would need to see the front of the frame to know more. Are the radiator core support mounts riveted to the frame? If it's a '73+ frame the core support would have been moved back and mounts relocated or new holes drilled with some sort of bushings rigged up inward over the frame.

Chevymaster461 06-23-2015 10:35 PM

Look up the vin an model number because it might be a 2wd converted cause the c's are usually 2wd an there's a lot of them that's been converted a quick easy way is see if the frame vin matches the cab vin if it doesn't it indicates frame swap ... Vins located on driver side engine compartment frame rail ... Hope this could be helpful

'67 Rookie 06-27-2015 03:18 PM

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback. I will check the VIN numbers and the info in the glovebox to see if there are discrepancies. I am excited to hear everyone say something along the lines of "do what you want with it", that will make it a lot more fun! I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to. Thanks everyone for the guidance!

Vero67 06-27-2015 04:12 PM

2wd Vin started with a c, 4wd Vin started with a k. My 67 longed starts with a k. 67 Factory 4wd are rare. Build it how you want.

57taskforce 06-27-2015 04:18 PM

Theres been a lot if these "rare truck" threads lately. Aside from the very few 100% un touched low mile immaculate factory condition trucks that come up once in a while, these trucks arnt rare. Thats my .02. Do what you like with it and most importantly drive the heck out of it and enjoy it. I prefer factory style restorations but to each his own and i can appreciate ALMOST all tastes.

'67 Rookie 06-30-2015 10:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, we found the glove box, picture attached. So it is in fact a K model. Now a technical question: The transmission slips out of third gear, and the trans guy says the "fork" that moves from one gear to the other is worn out. See picture below. Does anyone know where we can find one of these? Can we make one, and if so what material would we use?

WarMonger 06-30-2015 10:31 AM

I hope your tranny guy is smarter than your body guy?

67ChevyRedneck 06-30-2015 10:49 AM

I'm going to go against the grain, and no offense to those above, but apparently they haven't paid attention to model specific production numbers.

According to your spid your truck is a KS10734, which is a FACTORY 4x4 SHORT BED FLEET SIDE. These trucks are ABSOLUTELY RARE. There was ONLY 1,046 shortbed fleet sides built and 1,229 short bed step sides built.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=104816

Now, does this make your truck valuable... kinda. I'd research what 1967 4x4's shortbeds are selling for (most will likely be conversions or cut down long beds) and add a few grand for being a factory truck. So, no, you're not sitting on any kind of gold mine, but it is more valuable than your typical 4x4 (again, most are either longbeds, or cut down short beds, or converted short beds).

Personally, I'd like to see this one done back original.

special-K 06-30-2015 10:55 AM

Being an actually '67 K10 SWB changes everything. You have a low production factory vehicle. By overall industry standards your truck is rare.

67 chevelle 06-30-2015 11:35 AM

Looks like the consensus is to do a stock restore ,,, I agree ,, that spid changes everything ,, I was guessing you had a cut and paste truck , like so many are , but yours is original , and a great model to have original

44th Miss Inf 06-30-2015 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '67 Rookie (Post 7226176)
Ok, we found the glove box, picture attached. So it is in fact a K model. Now a technical question: The transmission slips out of third gear, and the trans guy says the "fork" that moves from one gear to the other is worn out. See picture below. Does anyone know where we can find one of these? Can we make one, and if so what material would we use?

Can you post a picture of the outside of the trans side plate? I have a few Chevy 3 speeds, and if I have the part, will send it to you to get the truck back going.

GASoline71 06-30-2015 12:08 PM

Numbers don't lie. So when you have proof like that it makes it all the better. Lots of cats come and go with what the say are "rare" trucks that usually end up being a cobbled up hot mess.

Nice find... absolutely there are not many of those trucks around.

Gary

deejaaa1 06-30-2015 03:59 PM

nice find. any pics of the body?
Posted via Mobile Device

Twisted78SS 06-30-2015 05:52 PM

Glad someone else chimed in with production numbers, and that you found the SPID. I happen to have on myself, and might be able to shed some light if you have some questions. When I got mine, it had several items not correct, such as a step side bed, 68 fenders etc... but she's going back to her roots.. more or less. Unfortunately, my cab is pretty bad off, so i may just swap it with another one. (keeping the VIN tag of course)

Best of luck and hope you build it and make it your own!

leddzepp 06-30-2015 06:12 PM

I'd still build it the way I wanted, regardless of a sticker.

GASoline71 06-30-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 7226684)

This... 100%.

Gary

jerry moss 06-30-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 7226684)

i'll catch some flack for this but i totally agree. save everything that is original to the truck in case you ever decide to go "stock" again. unless you cut/weld on it it can be put back to original. IF it was a CST loaded with factory options i would say build it stock but it is a bare bones truck so build it how you want.