The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Truck stalls and I've tried all the obvious fixes... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=675682)

bjgreine 07-04-2015 03:59 PM

Truck stalls and I've tried all the obvious fixes...

I have a 1971 Chevy Cheyenne with a 350 crate motor. I purchased the truck 6 months ago, and have been working out a lot of its "kinks." My current issue is that it stalls. It occurs when I am at a stop and try to accelerate. Sometimes I can't get it out of the neighborhood, sometimes I drive it around but it struggles most of the time, and sometimes I drive with no issues once I've passed the trouble spot. What I mean by trouble spot is that I've figured out I can very slowly accelerate and once I get to 20 mph or so it will drive regularly. When it is acting up, hitting the gas too hard causes it to die, then I can't start it for 5 to 10 minutes. I have put a new quadrajet carb on it, new mechanical fuel pump, replaced the fuel line from the pump to the carb, replaced the inline fuel filter (added by previous owner due to rust and debris in gas tank), and checked the carb filter for an unexpected clog (even though it's new). It also has new spark plugs. I run 93 octane gas, and have run a few rounds of fuel system cleaner during the first few months of owning it. During the first 5 months of ownership, there was never even a hint of this issue. My fuel gauge doesn't work, so the first time it happened I thought I may have forgotten to fill it up the last time I was supposed to. Any thoughts?

D-rock1981 07-04-2015 04:52 PM

Re: Truck stalls and I've tried all the obvious fixes...

Check your fuel pressure. Even a new pump can put out too much pressure. (It happened to me). Sounds like a flooding issue. If your pump is putting out over 5-6 psi then get a fuel pressure regulator designed for low pressure applications and put it between your pump and carb. Many are adjustable.

jakewalter 07-04-2015 05:14 PM

I have seen a choke that stays closed do this.
Jake

57taskforce 07-04-2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakewalter (Post 7230762)
I have seen a choke that stays closed do this.
Jake

That's what I was gonna say, a stuck choke or improperly adjusted choke.

cdowns 07-04-2015 06:04 PM

I'd check the fuel sock inside of thegas tank and located on the fuel sending unit

GASoline71 07-04-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 7230805)
I'd check the fuel sock inside of thegas tank and located on the fuel sending unit

Yup... and if there really was rust and crud in the fuel tank... it's still there.

Gary

geezer#99 07-04-2015 07:48 PM

New carb but is the accelerator pump working?
Do you have a heat plate under your carb?
Look at the ignition too!
What's your initial timing?
What distributor do you have?

bjgreine 07-05-2015 10:05 PM

It was the choke! Thanks everyone for the tips.