The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can the rear brake hose to the brake distribution block be restored? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=676940)

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-18-2015 07:29 PM

Can the rear brake hose to the brake distribution block be restored?

Just received my made in China today via Summit Racing. Looks like it would work, but I like the original brass better. So my not sure question today is, can businesses restore the originals? If so, who for example? The hose needs to be replaced. Fittings are fine.

ON TOPIC.....I see the company (Dorman) sells these in brass as well. Don't much care for the silver.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31GNK%2Bs3tqL.jpg

special-K 07-18-2015 08:42 PM

Re: Can the rear brake hose to the brake distribution block be restored?

Just buy quality hoses. I don't think anyone reuses the fittings.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-18-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7245440)
Just buy quality hoses. I don't think anyone reuses the fittings.

I think I'll see if I can get this in brass. Note: Auto zone nor Napa had this. I had heard Zone did.

leddzepp 07-19-2015 02:11 AM

You can have a hydraulic shop custom make any hose you want if you take in your original for duplication. Personally I would just run a quality hose and be done, it's not seen in it's location.

68C15 07-19-2015 05:43 AM

having seen first hand the longevity of Dorman rubber hoses I wouldn't trust it to do more than fill a box.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-19-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 7245693)
having seen first hand the longevity of Dorman rubber hoses I wouldn't trust it to do more than fill a box.

Good to know, I'm going to send this back. I thought these were difficult to locate, but probably not. Any recommendations for a vendor?

Stocker 07-19-2015 02:54 PM

Napa p/n UP 36683

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...683_0475354888

GRX 07-19-2015 02:58 PM

Bought mine from NAPA. All brass. A shame Dorman quality has gone down hill. They used to be very good.

cdowns 07-19-2015 02:58 PM

i'd buy the length required from speedway motors for a good quality piece

Grumpy old man 07-19-2015 04:50 PM

why would you waste your time ? Hit you local auto parts store and be done with it.:chevy:

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-19-2015 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 7245999)

Can't ask for more than that.............Thanks. Note: Napa claimed not to have it when I asked last week. Part of this is on me. I called it a "rear brake junction", when it's really just a "rear brake hose".

I've learned to ask who makes these parts too. I see these brake hoses run $20 to $65 bucks. Think I'll find out why. I need other brake parts as well.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-19-2015 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 7246107)
why would you waste your time ? Hit you local auto parts store and be done with it.:chevy:

Dang it grumpy, the thread with your post was deleted, for how-to prep body for paint (e.g., "sand until it's as soft as a babies arsch, and then sand some more". Ha,Ha Haaaaaaaaaa!............. That was good information.

Went something like: Clean-sand-primer-sand, filler-sand, filler-sand, filler-sand, filler-sand, filler-sand, filler-sand, filler-sand, filler-sand, filler-sand............

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-20-2015 02:47 PM

Interesting the "factors" surrounding a simple part. Here's what I've found so far.

1. Dorman gets "their" parts from about any manufacturer. Mostly China I believe.

2. Then of course you have the various retailers (Summit Racing/Napa) selling Dorman parts.

3. I checked on one of these $70 units. It's the exact same part that Napa is selling for $19.

4. Take a wild guess where these $19-$70 same parts come from?..........That's right, Dorman. Nearly everyone sells the Dorman. Sometimes it's silver, other times brass.

Incidentally, I don't know the difference, but 36683 is for rear leaf springs, 36684 is for rear coil springs. Works out well, because now I can send it back for they providing the wrong part. Edit: They said just to keep it. It's cheaper to keep than shipping and handling. So as a previous poster eluded to, this will do no more than fill a box.

I located one via Autozone for $30. Supposedly not Dorman and brass.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-23-2015 05:47 PM

In case anyone was wondering, I've made a lot of calls and ordered/returned a couple of "different" hoses....The common themes are:

1. Most places sell Dorman. They charge anywhere for $13 to $65, but it's the same part.

2. Whether it's Dorman or another "brand", the hoses are generally displayed with a brass fitting, but what you get has a silver fitting. And so far, all have been made in China.

I came across a site "Hose & Fittings etc.". There's a shop 30 miles from me. I just got off the phone with the guy and he says "Just bring in your parts and I'll set you up."......He builds what's needed, and apparently, doesn't take very long.

Grumpy old man 07-23-2015 10:32 PM

Have you considered they are made of brass and just have a non corrosive coating ? :chevy:

68C15 07-24-2015 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 7251614)

I came across a site "Hose & Fittings etc.". There's a shop 30 miles from me. I just got off the phone with the guy and he says "Just bring in your parts and I'll set you up."......He builds what's needed, and apparently, doesn't take very long.

ding-ding-ding
we have a winner!!!