The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   new member, new..er..old truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=691375)

wpavlis 12-12-2015 11:39 AM

new member, new..er..old truck

3 Attachment(s)
Hello. I recently joined the board and have been enjoying researching my new truck. My family has given it the very original name of old blue. My grandfather purchased it second hand in the early 70's and it was the family farm truck until 1978 when my grandparents moved off the farm. My uncle took it at that point and used it off and on for several years. He decided a couple months ago that he needed more space in his barn for another tractor (he restores old Farmall tractors) and offered it to me. I of course jumped on the offer and somehow managed to convince my wife it was a good idea. Well, the auto transport people finally picked it up today and my uncle sent me some pictures. I guess it's early Christmas for me this year!
Attachment 1476280

Attachment 1476281

Attachment 1476282

wpavlis 12-12-2015 11:44 AM

Re: new member, new..er..old truck

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is on the transport. So excited!

Attachment 1476283

flashed 12-12-2015 11:46 AM

Welcome ,nice truck you have there ,looks like it was well cared for .What are your plans for it ?

trac209 12-12-2015 02:24 PM

Welcome,nice truck especially since it's been in the family so long.

dfwright 12-12-2015 02:49 PM

I Like it! I would be excited also!

toms68cst 12-12-2015 04:12 PM

Welcome from a fellow '68 freak! I love that color combo in our trucks.

wpavlis 12-12-2015 06:04 PM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I don't currently have time for any ambitious plans. For now I just want to get it driveable and enjoy it. The brakes were recently redone so that is covered. I am told it burns a lot of oil so a new motor is probably in the near future. I want to keep the three on the tree, but I am not sure what to do with the 307. I believe it will be cheaper to put a 350 in it than to rebuild the 307. That or get a new set of heads. The motor has never been rebuilt so I know the heads will need new valve seats at a minimum.

First thing will actually be the heater core. My uncle tells me it leaks a small amount. He believes there is an old mouse nest inside as well. I ordered the parts from GMCPaul and they will be here about the same time as the truck. That will be a good opportunity to tear into her and see what other issues I can find. Any suggestions on where to start?

-Bill

Grumpy old man 12-12-2015 07:37 PM

Where to start ... Don't buy parts before your sure what you need . there are so many things that can be cheaply repaired on these old trucks rather than just tossing the original parts and buying new Chinese replacements give your local small repair shops the work and keep your money (and new friends) local . :chevy:

wpavlis 12-22-2015 12:15 AM

finally got the old girl in the driveway today. I love that it still has tubed tires and the Wisconsin state parks pass sticker from 1978. I also love the parking break. I have never seen one like it before. My uncle had told me it was bare bones. It does have few options, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it had a gauge dash. No tach or vacuum gauge, but I am OK with that. I can't wait until this weekend when I can give her a bath and check under the hood. Wait, that sounds a little dirtier than I meant it to.

toolboxchev 12-22-2015 12:49 AM

Grumpy old man is correct. Lots of things can be fixed instead of being replaced. It takes a little doing but that is what we are about. My e-brake cables were rusty I took the time to scrub them up when doing the rear brakes. Cables were not too stretched out so lubed up and put back together carefully.

Yours looks nice for sitting a period, many were left outdoors to weather too soon. Heck it even looks like the cab is still in alignment with the bed! I would not even paint her, just a solid gentle cleaning and good quality wax!