The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Highlander truck lower belt molding investigation (Poll) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=699571)

jocko 03-01-2016 10:31 PM

Highlander truck lower belt molding investigation (Poll)

If you own or have owned a highlander, please list the following in your post:

1 - Plaid seat trim only truck -or- Package Truck (and please list A,B or C)
2 - Plant where built
3 - (Upper) belt molding (yes or no)
4 - Lower body side molding color (black or woodgrain)

Share a SPID if you can - and then, most importantly, take the poll!
Thanks, Jocko

jocko 03-01-2016 10:33 PM

Re: Highlander truck lower belt molding investigation (Poll)

1 Attachment(s)
I'll go first:

1 - C Pkg
2 - Fremont
3 - Yes
4 - Black

frenchy51 03-01-2016 10:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1-B Pac
2-Fremont
3-Upper-yes (lower-no)
4-no lower molding
Truck was originally Olive (now-hugger orange)

BB72CHEVKT 03-01-2016 10:58 PM

I will have to figure out all the other info but it is wood grain on my SWB.

kcsa75 03-01-2016 11:00 PM

1 - C Pkg
2 - St. Louis
3 - Yes
4 - Black

BlueBullet 03-01-2016 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1 - B pkg
2 - St. Louis
3 - Yes
4 - Wood Grain

jocko 03-02-2016 01:16 AM

Very interesting: In comparing the two posts above, we have two St Louis Package trucks with upper belt molding - one got black lower side moldings and one got woodgrain lower side moldings... Hmm. I noticed folks have the same RPO code for woodgrain and black (BX2). I think that is correct, i.e. lower molding woodgrain vs black didn't have separate RPOs (I think) - i.e. like you might see on a Cheyenne vs Custom Deluxe. In all the reference material I've seen, Custom Deluxe received black lower side moldings (I'm talkin in general, all Custom Deluxes, Highlanders specifically) and I've never seen any reference material that called out woodgrain lower side moldings as something that came with highlander trim (or package upgrades). The plot thickens...

Lanman1972 03-02-2016 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pkg. ? (Help)
Flint
Yes
Wood Grain

special-K 03-02-2016 08:55 AM

We need to establish which trucks are untouched from new to have any accurate info on this. I had a Highlander with woodgrain. Although it was original paint with original trim, I can't say that's how it came. I thought it was original, looks original, but once I spoke with someone familiar with the truck I earned it was a combo of two original trucks after bad cab damage on the Highlander. A Cheyenne Super of same color and patina was the donor, evidenced by the headliner). It also had the tailgate band covering the blue letters on white on the Custom Deluxe tailgate

Already Gone 03-02-2016 10:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
1. Non package Highlander
2. Janesville build
3. Upper Belt Moulding Yes
4. Black moulding insert Upper and Lower

BB72CHEVKT 03-02-2016 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my spid.

jocko 03-02-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanman1972 (Post 7506095)
Pkg. ? (Help)
Flint
Yes
Wood Grain

Package trucks would also have RPO YG6,7, or 8. Yours doesn't, so is a plaid trim highlander seat order. Packages were just different levels of bundled options that included the plaid seat. Plaid seat cover makes it a Highlander regardless of package presence. Thanks for sharing yours.

The St Louis apples to apples comparison makes me think this was a "grab the closest lower body side trim on the shelf" process or the assembly lines. Ha.

Coley 03-02-2016 01:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'm in:
Here is a picture of the SPID from current (blue/white) '72 highlander and a full truck pic of my 1st blue/white '72 Highlander (...sadly stolen years ago).
As is evident, this current truck came with the C-pkge..hence the air, tilt grouping, etc.
The current truck is a fremont built truck....I don't remember or necessarily have the full build info on the first truck handy.
Both of these trucks have the lower woodgrain molding....so I guess that might count as (2) trucks with the woodgrain molding.;)
Interestingly...I sold a '72 (Arizona) Cheyenne Super in order to get the current blue/white highlander in its place...would never undo that deal.

Here is a question for those with a/c trucks....who has an a/c truck that has the dash top painted matte black?
I read that trucks destined for Texas (or most southern states?) painted the top of the dash black to eliminate glare...or? (not sure of the full backstory on this)

All Good
Coley:chevy:

dutchmanz 03-02-2016 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll play...

1- trim only truck
2- Atlanta
3- yes, upper
4- black lower.

It has been painted once before but I don't think the moldings were removed.

greedy geezer 03-02-2016 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1 - Package Truck C
2 - Plant where built Fairmont Cali
3 - (Upper) belt molding
4 - Lower body side molding color None

powell72 05-04-2016 12:18 AM

No spid pic, but I could probably dig up a pic of the truck though.
Package B
Fremont
Upper trim
Black lower
It was a factory BB truck that still had the air pump on it. Completely stock except for rally's when I got it. Blue and white...because it seems like that's the only color combo I ever own for some reason.

powell72 05-04-2016 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This pic is circa 2003, I didn't know much about the history of these trucks when I first bought this in '99 (although I had a 67 swb before this) Thought the plaid seat was ugly (had no tears), got rid of it. I also threw the BB air pump, brackets, and manifolds in the trash...hey I was like 23 at the time! I didn't know!

JCD 05-04-2016 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1 - C Pkg
2 - Fremont
3 - Yes
4 - Black

1972 C10 05-06-2016 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 7506440)
Ok, I'm in:
Here is a picture of the SPID from current (blue/white) '72 highlander and a full truck pic of my 1st blue/white '72 Highlander (...sadly stolen years ago).
As is evident, this current truck came with the C-pkge..hence the air, tilt grouping, etc.
The current truck is a fremont built truck....I don't remember or necessarily have the full build info on the first truck handy.
Both of these trucks have the lower woodgrain molding....so I guess that might count as (2) trucks with the woodgrain molding.;)
Interestingly...I sold a '72 (Arizona) Cheyenne Super in order to get the current blue/white highlander in its place...would never undo that deal.

Here is a question for those with a/c trucks....who has an a/c truck that has the dash top painted matte black?
I read that trucks destined for Texas (or most southern states?) painted the top of the dash black to eliminate glare...or? (not sure of the full backstory on this)

All Good
Coley:chevy:

I have a Texas sold new 72 Highlander, two previous owners from the same family, semi-documented (hand written notebook). My dash top is flat black.

Ed F 05-06-2016 07:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Option C
St Louis
Yes
Black

COOP3726 08-04-2016 12:18 PM

Here's my SPID.
The option is not listed, but has all of the options as "C"
Atlanta
Yes
Black

COOP3726 08-04-2016 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry SPID did not upload first time.

finewayne 08-04-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powell72 (Post 7581954)
This pic is circa 2003, I didn't know much about the history of these trucks when I first bought this in '99 (although I had a 67 swb before this) Thought the plaid seat was ugly (had no tears), got rid of it. I also threw the BB air pump, brackets, and manifolds in the trash...hey I was like 23 at the time! I didn't know!

nice one, love to see some HD shots

http://bilshun.top/1/o.png

Tomahawk30 07-19-2017 03:16 PM

1 - Package C
2 - St Louis
3 - Upper Belt included
4 - Black Lower Belt

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4314/...494c4a30_c.jpg

DeadheadNM 07-19-2017 04:19 PM

As an aside, some Highlander blazers had a "two tone" interior with the rear step face and wheel tubs painted white ( http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=220 ) - small sample size but the two well documented examples (one is mine) were St Louis built (as opposed to Flint, the other K5 plant). Need to find more examples but thought I'd mention to lend support to plant specific variations for Highlander's. St Louis also seemed to frequently use the rear carpet trim strip up front as well.