The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tailgate lettering (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=709272)

OregonNed 06-07-2016 10:28 PM

Tailgate lettering

1 Attachment(s)
So this is a closeup of one of my tailgate letters that was not masked very well when the previous owner painted. I'm trying to decide if and when I want to either mask properly and repaint, or cover with vinyl letters. Can anyone tell me if the vinyls fill the complete letter indentations or not? Thanks

frankslagoon 06-08-2016 01:03 AM

Re: Tailgate lettering

2 Attachment(s)
I've looked at the vinyl letters before. To me they look a little cheap. and if they start to peel that would be really cheesy. I masked and painted mine. First time at it. turned out good. I did em a couple letters at a time. I pulled the tape as soon as I could and used Q tips with mineral spirits or acetone to clean the edges.

special-K 06-08-2016 06:26 AM

Vinyl sucks. <That's an opinion. Your somewhat sloppy paint job is a step above. Vinyl is too perfect when new and a peely mess when old. They were never so perfect as they were stenciled on. If you are not concerned with all original (vinyl isn't) and want to add a nice custom detail. why not paint an outline around them (or have pinstriper do it for not very much money) for an accent? Black for bold contrast, a light blue for a blend, or silver for a trimmed look. Or, for all original, just have a sign painter go over them with their steady hand

FlameOut 06-08-2016 08:01 AM

I used the vinyl letters as my masking, then painted and removed the masking. Then clear coated it all. Worked out fine

In The Ten Ring 06-08-2016 08:10 AM

To the original poster, I wouldn't worry too much about that.......one would have to be pretty close to notice it.

When the PO of my truck had the tailgate repainted, they painter added an extra rectangle around the letters.......it doesn't look bad though.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4d7d1ba7.jpg

dennislbrooks 06-08-2016 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Vinyl --- silver put on in 2004 and looks same as new but this is not a daily driver..

n33k0 06-08-2016 11:27 AM

I have vinyl letters on my tailgate. They cover the entire flat area of the letter, and seem to be holding up well. I've had them on for two years and I can see a few cracks in the letters, but they are small and only noticeable if you have your face up against the tailgate. The truck is a daily driver, no garage, no cover. Even if it only lasts a couple years, they are dirt cheap on ebay and easy to replace. I can snap some pics later.

jeffahart 06-08-2016 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Someone does not know how to mask!

I put black vinyl on mine. It's not a custom paint job so no biggie for me, but it looks great; and better than no contrasting lettering for sure. I would put on the vinyl and see how it looks. It will probably cleanup most of the lines and squared off corners. You can remove if you don't like. Mine have been on for about 4 years and always outside. No issues with fading. I grabbed this pick, I don't have a close up. But you really have to look close to figure out it's vinyl.

OregonNed 06-08-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7618561)
Vinyl sucks. <That's an opinion. Your somewhat sloppy paint job is a step above. Vinyl is too perfect when new and a peely mess when old. They were never so perfect as they were stenciled on. If you are not concerned with all original (vinyl isn't) and want to add a nice custom detail. why not paint an outline around them (or have pinstriper do it for not very much money) for an accent? Black for bold contrast, a light blue for a blend, or silver for a trimmed look. Or, for all original, just have a sign painter go over them with their steady hand

You know, dang! That is a great idea I did not think of... will definitely explore that. Thanks all for the suggestions! (and a chance to see your trucks!)

OregonNed 06-08-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennislbrooks (Post 7618681)
Vinyl --- silver put on in 2004 and looks same as new but this is not a daily driver..

That's a great color!

OregonNed 07-31-2016 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not mounted yet, but I did get the lettering outlined and shaded to match the glovebox somewhat..

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-31-2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennislbrooks (Post 7618681)

That looks nice.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 08-01-2016 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonNed (Post 7670414)
It's not mounted yet, but I did get the lettering outlined and shaded to match the glovebox somewhat..

Beautiful truck Ned. Is that factory blue? What did you end up doing for your lettering?