The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   door jamb switch (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713517)

xs-style 07-27-2016 11:31 AM

door jamb switch

Today I noticed my interior light staying on. I had changed the jamb switches last week, so I went there first. Turns out my driver switch had come unplugged from the connector. I took the kick panel off, thinking I could get at it from there but its sold metal there. What do I do now to fish that connector out?

xs-style 07-27-2016 11:53 AM

Re: door jamb switch

I had this over in the main squarebody area, not sure how it ended up in the projects section..... Could a mod move it over for me?

TKCR 08-01-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xs-style (Post 7666073)
Today I noticed my interior light staying on. I had changed the jamb switches last week, so I went there first. Turns out my driver switch had come unplugged from the connector. I took the kick panel off, thinking I could get at it from there but its sold metal there. What do I do now to fish that connector out?

I had this happen too, mine had rusted off. From under the dash you'll have to find the wire that goes over to the switch, I believe it's white (I'll have to check the schematics to be sure). Now this is how I did it, take the switch out and feed a wire through the hole over to the area of the top of the kick panel. The wire for the switch goes over top of an opening above the kick panel. Now attach your wire for the switch to the feed wire that you fed through the switch hole. Then just pull your wire over to the hole. It will be detious to get that connector out the hole to connect to you new door switch. It took me awhile and a lot of patience, I had to do both sides.

xs-style 08-01-2016 06:24 PM

Yea I ended up having to fish it out of the hole with a bent clothes hanger and needle nose pliers lol. Now I have to figure out what went wrong. The new switches worked fine for a week or so, now they arent. Its always something with this old truck.

TKCR 08-01-2016 06:53 PM

Check the ground. Are all the lights not working, both the dome light & courtesy light?

chrismoore701 08-01-2016 09:57 PM

Check the area the switches screw into. Need a good clean ground. Bet that is your issue

Jeepwm69 08-02-2016 01:24 PM

I took a small hole saw and cut a hole behind the kick panel. Can't see it anyway with the panel in place, and made it easy to hook up/ unhook the wire.