The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Whiplash (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=714550)

davepl 08-08-2016 12:37 PM

Whiplash

Now that I drive this thing a bit more regularly, I have 3-point belts but I'm worried about getting rear ended, given there's nothing but some glass to catch your head, and even that's 8" behind you or so.

Not the best design. Is there any "genius" solution within the confines of the stock seats? I can't replace them, it's a factory restoration. But if there were pillows that attached to the back window and didn't look stupid (note that caveat) I might try that...

I think I can see the only answer is "wear a helmet", but figure it doesn't hurt to ask...

cleszkie 08-08-2016 01:20 PM

Re: Whiplash

A helmet alone won't prevent whiplash. You need to install a H.A.N.S. device like they use in NASCAR:)

n33k0 08-08-2016 01:32 PM

I can't comment on any mods to increase safety, but I can say that I watch my rear view mirror like a hawk because I'm so paranoid about someone plowing into the back of my truck. It sucks knowing you can do everything possible to be safe, but you are still at the mercy of the distracted driver coming up behind you.

The previous owner moved the gas tank out of the cab and pushed the bench seat back to make more leg room. As a result, the rear glass is only a couple inches away from the back of my head. I take comfort in knowing that my bench seat has head rests, but they are pretty flimsy by modern standards, I'm not sure how much protection they can really offer.

Stocker 08-08-2016 02:01 PM

It'll be interesting to see what other answers you get. Personally, I think fewer (and less effective) safety features are simply a part of driving an older vehicle. For instance, no crumple zones, at least nothing like what are designed into newer stuff, means more energy will be absorbed by the vehicle's occupants. Little or nothing can be done about that. Some of us who have ridden motorcycles are aware of the risks and accept them as part of the riding experience. As to your whiplash concern, you are limited by your refusal to install the one thing that might help somewhat -- better seats, with headrests. Just my two cents, hopefully you'll get some better ideas.

69moneypit 08-08-2016 02:06 PM

I've searched but I can't find it . I quess you would call it a pillow . it was clear. I can't remember if it had a gel or air in it but it was designed to be attatched directly to the rear glass ; instead , of using a headrest . It was designed to protect driver in rear end collision . I thought it was a good idea ; however, I was young and invincible then . It wasn't demonstrated on a c10 it was a mini truck.

davepl 08-08-2016 02:43 PM

A suction-cup pillow that stuck to the glass might not be a terrible idea... never seen one, they're probably hideous, but worth a shot.

I have a motorcycle I don't ride (hardly) anymore too... as I get older my risk tolerance seems to go down (it really takes a dive when you have kids, but even over time it seems).

I do track my Z06, that's about the extent of my risk taking!

In The Ten Ring 08-08-2016 04:10 PM

I've found hauling a load of 10 foot long pressure-treated 4x4 timbers tends to keep the tailgaters away. :lol:

I have wondered this same thing, "I wish I had headrests" but I love the bench seat so much.

I've gotten whiplash twice in my life, once so bad I couldn't move my head in either direction for a week! *That time, I was fine after about 7 days but the next time it happened I got a massage and I was perfectly fine just a few hours later.

Both my cases were cased by skiing crashes not auto collisions so I may not have been so badly hurt anyway.

AnotherWs6 08-08-2016 04:29 PM

Good topic. I have thought about this several times. I have a Suburban so I don't even have back glass to smash my head into. Without putting in brand new, modern seats I wonder what can be done? A roll bar with padding I suppose....

Orange Crate 08-08-2016 04:41 PM

Fabricate a bar that goes from the top seat belt hardware attach points. Put a couple of curves in it at the attach points so it rides close to the back glass or slider. Put a couple of nice foam filled pads right behind the driver and pass and match the vinyl to your interior. Patent it and make a bundle. Come back on here and tell us about living large after.....

davepl 08-08-2016 07:01 PM

It'd look horrible, but the best thing I've found so far is a bathtub pillow on Amazon that has suction cups to stick to the tub. If I had it reupholstered in blue vinyl....

Grumpy old man 08-08-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7677537)
It'd look horrible, but the best thing I've found so far is a bathtub pillow on Amazon that has suction cups to stick to the tub. If I had it reupholstered in blue vinyl....

I think they make them them in the donut hole style ,Cover it in some blue velvet and it just may fit perfectly ! :lol:

firedemon 08-08-2016 08:40 PM

I like these trucks because the other guys car is the crumple zone

garyd1961 08-08-2016 09:19 PM

If you drive one of these classics you need to be tough. If you need a pillow buy a Prius.

Just kidding, I've thought about installing a set of high back buckets myself.

special-K 08-08-2016 09:54 PM

A helmet would help guarantee whiplash by adding weight and bulk to your head. I've driven these trucks since they were new and never worried about it. That seems to work just fine. If I wanted updated safety equipment I'd drive a modern vehicle. Life is full of risks we can't eliminate and I enjoy it by not worrying about all the what ifs.

Dad's72 08-08-2016 10:20 PM

I think about this as well. My neighbor got rear eneed in his 80 something c10 and the back of his head was cut up pretty good. Stitches, back windshield, new bumper and he was back on the road.
On a horrible note a good friend of mines dad was killed after being rear ended. Medic said his neck was broke on impact. Sucks.
My headrests in my 94 saved my head after a guy forgot to stop at a red light and used my truck to park under.

Dad's72 08-08-2016 10:28 PM

I think about this as well. My neighbor got rear eneed in his 80 something c10 and the back if his head was cut up pretty good. Stitches, back windshield, new bumper and he was back on the road.
On a horrible note a good friend of mines dad was killed after being rear ended. Medic said his neck was broke on impact. Scary.
My headrests in my 94 saved my head after a guy forgot to stop at a red light and used my truck to park under.

CG 08-08-2016 10:55 PM

Have a custom head rest made that matches your interior. Mounted it to some sort of shaft or stick or something. Slide it in when you go for a drive, take it out and cram it under the seat if you want to show.

jocko 08-08-2016 11:21 PM

Just jump out right before impact, it'll be fine, no whiplash.

CG 08-08-2016 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 7677823)
Just jump out right before impact, it'll be fine, no whiplash.

Haha, kind of like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. He steps out of the falling house right before it hits the ground. He's fine, house is destroyed ... If only :lol:

BrianG 08-09-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7677537)

Try searching for Hot Tub or Spa pillows or headrests. There are some that are not all that bad. They have suction cups on the back and look almost like a regular car headrest. I have a set that came with my whirlpool bathtub.

For instance:
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Spring-Sp.../dp/B00ASIJF82

Hook'em 08-09-2016 11:39 AM

Best way to prevent whiplash is to not get rear ended. I had the opportunity to follow my truck one evening and noticed that the stock brake lights were near impossible to see (during the day). It really scared me thinking that cars behind me might not know that my truck is slowing down or stopping.

I immediately replaced with LED lights which can be seen in any light condition.

That and a hemorrhoid donut around your head should do the trick.

davepl 08-09-2016 01:17 PM

FWIW, my Cargo light is also a 3rd brake light with a super-bright LED module. I might make it flash too, as I have in other vehicles. I've only been rear ended once in my life (probably as a result of running 3rd brake light strobe circuits on everything) and that was rolling away at a green light!

My only concern with making the 3rd brake light TOO visible is that it's 12 feet in front of the actual rear bumper (or whatever distance) and I don't want people to stare at my cargo light as they plow into me...

Aruba1 08-09-2016 04:51 PM

Get a bumper sticker that says "stay away 300 feet".

Spartan 08-09-2016 09:39 PM

How about a pneumatic device that absorbs impact inserted into your hitch receiver?
With dangerous looking hardware sticking out to discourage tailgaters?!?

Overdriven 08-10-2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 7677781)
Have a custom head rest made that matches your interior. Mounted it to some sort of shaft or stick or something. Slide it in when you go for a drive, take it out and cram it under the seat if you want to show.

If the truck is a stock restoration I think this is the best route and was thinking of something similar. My idea had the head rest attached to something flat, like a piece of 1/2 ply, 1/8 aluminum plate, whatever would fit between the seat and cab wall. Upholster the whole thing so it won't scratch the cab wall. It's removable yet provides protection from whiplash.

I knew someone who got rear ended in a pickup and his head hit the back window. Whiplash isnt really a concern when your brain gets scrambled. Every time we drive it's a risk, older vehicles just up the risk, the price of being cool I guess. I'll probably end up with headrests just because of the seats I want to run, otherwise I'm not gonna worry about safety stuff. We all have an expiration date, might as well be doing something ya love.