The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Boring CAM journals.. Is it worth it? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=724293)

rockosocko 12-07-2016 05:06 PM

Boring CAM journals.. Is it worth it?

Got a buddy that gave me a '85-87 short block and as I was stripping it down, I noticed that 3 of the cam bearings look like almost 3/4 of the circumference of the bearing ID wasn't even touched! (?)
Is it worth getting it bored or just look for another block?

I know that they offer over-size bearings, but also have been told NOT to worry about it. That it really doesn't matter that much.
Also, I've read TONS of articles about a "Cam Shoot-out" where they just pop multiple cams in and out without a problem.

Just a little concerned about the oil pressure loss at that point.

What do you guys think?

Errol

crazy longhorn 12-07-2016 08:50 PM

Re: Boring CAM journals.. Is it worth it?

Which 3 bearings, looked "funky"? Longhorn

James the III 12-08-2016 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockosocko (Post 7789693)
Got a buddy that gave me a '85-87 short block and as I was stripping it down, I noticed that 3 of the cam bearings look like almost 3/4 of the circumference of the bearing ID wasn't even touched! (?)
Is it worth getting it bored or just look for another block?

I know that they offer over-size bearings, but also have been told NOT to worry about it. That it really doesn't matter that much.
Also, I've read TONS of articles about a "Cam Shoot-out" where they just pop multiple cams in and out without a problem.

Just a little concerned about the oil pressure loss at that point.

What do you guys think?

Errol

What part looks "touched" the bottom, where the spring pressure is pushing down on the cam??
most cam bearings don't look touched..
todays higher cam lifts and springs pressures push on the cam more , dry start ups.. no or low oil psi will cause the bottom to look worn..

crazy longhorn 12-08-2016 02:22 AM

Nobody else wants to play?The camshaft is 1st thing that I stick in a build....it needs to turn like butter, with a little 10/30 on the journals. If it does that, I dont see an issue. Then you lay the crankshaft....make sure that it turns like butter.Watch the pistons going in(smoove), no fight....twist that shortblock over....no fight, she rolls smooth. Check valve to piston clearance. Bbreak that bioch in......then run it like you stole it! longhorn:chevy:

GRX 12-08-2016 09:06 AM

Pretty normal for the bottom part of the cam bearing to exhibit wear considering there is over half a ton of spring pressure forcing the cam downward.

If you think the cam journals are out of alignment the block may have bigger issues. Have the main saddles checked. At this point you may as well source a new block. 1st gen are easy to find.

GASoline71 12-08-2016 12:47 PM

The cam journals are fine. The bearings were doing their job like they should have.

Gary