The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New To Site And To Chevy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730253)

the67Beast 02-12-2017 10:26 PM

New To Site And To Chevy

Glad I found this site because I am going to need alot of advise going forward. I just got a 67 C-10 pickup a few days ago from a barn. In pretty good condition, but I will plan on starting the restoration in a few months. I need to do some research first, because I have never owned an old chevy truck. I have restored two 66 mustangs, a 67 ford truck and a jeep though. So I will be visiting this site often. Anything I need to know about my truck before I get started. It is a 2WD short bed, I think it has a 283 V8 and a 3OTT transmission. Got a little cancer on it in the usual places that will need some new metal; but other than that it is very straight and no dents. Bed is in great condition. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

jocko 02-12-2017 10:29 PM

Re: New To Site And To Chevy

Post up some pics, we're full of opinions and hopefully some guidance. Welcome to the site! Is your swb a stepside or fleetside?

Chevyland 02-12-2017 10:32 PM

You're gonna love this place.
Sounds like you have a pretty nice truck to start with.
Post up some pictures.
Ask all the questions you want.
You will get very good feedback.

truckster 02-12-2017 10:41 PM

Welcome!

Yes, definitely post pics. We love pics.

El Dorado Jim 02-13-2017 12:15 AM

welcome, sounds like a great truck...can't wait to see some pics,

robs71 02-13-2017 02:49 PM

Sounds like a nice one to start with..67,short bed,v-8,nice bed..all good stuff,welcome to the site..when it comes to questions or opinions on these trucks we have some very knowledgeable people here.

Hunter67stepside 02-13-2017 03:24 PM

Welcome. I have a 67 also. Keep us posted.

the67Beast 02-13-2017 03:42 PM

It is a Fleetside. And I will post a photo as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

Thanks.

Coley 02-13-2017 03:44 PM

Welcome...and you've landed in the definitive spot for expertise on classic Chevy/GMC trucks.
As the guys mentioned....and as guys are, we are all about the pics....so when you get a chance post 'em up.
Looking forward to seeing them given the fact of a swb/67'....pretty desireable truck!
So welcome aboard.
All good
Coley

the67Beast 02-13-2017 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How the devil do you post a picture on here? Maybe new members do not have that authority for a while.

the67Beast 02-13-2017 07:42 PM

Nevermind! I figured it out!

Chevyland 02-13-2017 07:58 PM

Looks like a very nice start!
A true barn find
Is that dust, or rust on all the flat surfaces?
Either way, a very cool truck
Probably would be a nice patina, after a bath
What are your plans?

Grumpy old man 02-13-2017 08:15 PM

So Sorry to see it's in such terrible shape ! But since I'm a nice guy I will come over and give you your money back before your wife finds out ! Just Pm me your address and I'll LEAVE RIGHT NOW BEFORE SHE SEES IT IN YOUR YARD ! No sense getting divorced over an old rusty project truck ...:lol:

I hope your plans are to keep that one as stock and original as possible !:chevy:

This is a prime example of why you should buy your trucks in the southeast area . NEED MORE PICTURES , MANY MORE !

What do you want for it just the way it sits ? No need to wash it .

robs71 02-13-2017 08:39 PM

awesome truck,looks like it has the nice rear factory step bumper..what a nice original piece down to hubcaps and stock mirror...I agree with Grumpy old man..i hope you keep it original...these trucks that have not been messed with in the condition yours appears to be in are golden......good luck with it..

clay68c10 02-13-2017 11:11 PM

Damn, that looks like a nice one.
You will get about a million opinions on what to do with it, so I'll throw one out there. Clean it up and drive it as is for a while. They are only original once.

88Stanger 02-13-2017 11:17 PM

Welcome. Be prepared to spend some $$$. There are so many great ideas and helpful hints and tips that you will spend some $$. great start you have there!!!

LockDoc 02-13-2017 11:49 PM

-
Give it a bath, go over it with CLR, check out all of the safety stuff and drive the wheels off of it....

LockDoc

the67Beast 02-13-2017 11:55 PM

Yeah most of that is dust! A little surface rust and a little cancer in the normal areas. My immediate plans are to get it running and drive it as is and add some wider rally wheels. Got to do my research on which rally wheels will look the best cause it is has 6-lug wheels. I may lightly sand it and clear coat it as is.

Now the best part... and will make all of you mad... The old man gave me the truck for free just to get it out of his barn.

Later plans will include an automatic tranny and a 383 stroker.

No doubt I will be on this site alot to gather valuable information.

clay68c10 02-13-2017 11:59 PM

Sounds like a good plan, and you can't beat the price!
A TKO 500 would be fun with that 383...

LockDoc 02-14-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the67Beast (Post 7858238)
Yeah most of that is dust! A little surface rust and a little cancer in the normal areas. My immediate plans are to get it running and drive it as is and add some wider rally wheels. Got to do my research on which rally wheels will look the best cause it is has 6-lug wheels. I may lightly sand it and clear coat it as is.

Now the best part... and will make all of you mad... The old man gave me the truck for free just to get it out of his barn.

Later plans will include an automatic tranny and a 383 stroker.

No doubt I will be on this site alot to gather valuable information.

As mentioned in my previous post I would use the CLR after a good bath instead of sanding . It will remove any rust and actually bring out the paint color. Here is a thread with some good comparison pictures....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573256

LockDoc

Coley 02-14-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the67Beast (Post 7858238)

...ouch....good to know it happen tho' from time to time and that they, ie: real barn finds not tv barn finds, are still out there.

Seriously tho', the moons have aligned for you and we are looking forward to its return to driveability stage...with pics of course.

All good
Coley:chevy:

68bowtie 03-15-2017 11:13 PM

how about an update? clean the dust off at least?

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-15-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the67Beast (Post 7857105)
Glad I found this site because I am going to need alot of advise going forward. I just got a 67 C-10 pickup a few days ago from a barn. In pretty good condition, but I will plan on starting the restoration in a few months. I need to do some research first, because I have never owned an old chevy truck. I have restored two 66 mustangs, a 67 ford truck and a jeep though. So I will be visiting this site often. Anything I need to know about my truck before I get started. It is a 2WD short bed, I think it has a 283 V8 and a 3OTT transmission. Got a little cancer on it in the usual places that will need some new metal; but other than that it is very straight and no dents. Bed is in great condition. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

67 SWB.........That's the stuff right there. 67-68 have the best bods IMO, especially the front end, cough! in light blue. May actually be "medium" blue. Anyway, welcome.

This could be you someday: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FedOxcrSU54/maxresdefault.jpg

the67Beast 03-23-2017 07:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK I finally got a round to getting the dust cleaned off and got some rally wheels installed. Looks much, Much better now. Sorry it took me so long.

flashed 03-23-2017 07:49 PM

Wow ,what a nice truck .