The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tilt Gurus need some help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=732511)

72tutone 03-11-2017 09:54 PM

Tilt Gurus need some help

1 Attachment(s)
I just scored a tilt column here from an actual 71 pickup. Ive begun tearing into it to swap some parts around.
I'm encountering alot of resistance in the turn signal switch. Ive removed the three retaining screws. But when I pull the left side where Ive pointed isnt coming out. The side Im pointing on is actually on the left side when looking at it. Not sure why the pic didnt rotate
What am I missing here?

Thanks!

davischevy 03-11-2017 10:02 PM

Re: Tilt Gurus need some help

The wiring harness is holding it. Push on the harness from the bottom, and keep working it up.

Zeroman 03-11-2017 10:03 PM

I believe you have to remove the housing cover to remove that.

And to remove the cover you need a special puller.

You can search the forum to download the service manual to review the procedure.

LockDoc 03-11-2017 10:54 PM

-
Be very careful of the bearings. One of them is not available and the plastic cage is usually very brittle.....

LockDoc

72tutone 03-11-2017 11:19 PM

Well pushing in the wires from the column is definitely not it.

Any other ideas? I will check the service manual but I'm sure I'm missing something

72tutone 03-12-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeroman (Post 7883145)

You can search the forum to download the service manual to review the procedure.

You are correct there is a puller for the housing. However, I'm just trying to get the turn signal switch out. The puller comes later

72tutone 03-12-2017 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making progress on disassembling my tilt column. How do I remove the tilt lever?
I dont see anything on the outside to get this removed. I read to knock off the cover to expose the bearing housing. But I cant do this with the shift lever in place.

davischevy 03-12-2017 08:41 PM

It screws out.

See the two flats near the housing.

72tutone 03-12-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 7883942)
It screws out.

See the two flats near the housing.

The flats meaning the openings in the housing? To the left of the tilt lever is the Prndl indicator. Was that was you were referring to? Sorry I'm not at home to take a look

CaptRMW 03-12-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeroman (Post 7883145)

You have been offered some excellent advice from knowledgeable persons.
If you choose to not read the instructions quit typing and start hammering. :devil:

72tutone 03-12-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRMW (Post 7883953)
You have been offered some excellent advice from knowledgeable persons.
If you choose to not read the instructions quit typing and start hammering. :devil:

That was from an earlier post which I replied that I removed it. This is the tilt lever. You can't just remove the housing and the cover with the tilt lever just sitting in there ;)
Believe me... I don't take any comment on here with a grain of salt. That's why I ask on the first place. Trying to be smart like the rest

Dustytrix 03-12-2017 09:29 PM

Tilt just unscrews to the left. In case thats still in your way.

72tutone 03-12-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustytrix (Post 7884000)
Tilt just unscrews to the left. In case thats still in your way.

Ok I just check to the left of the tilt. I'm sorry I still don't see where it unscrews from

Zeroman 03-12-2017 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
unscrew here.....

Zeroman 03-12-2017 10:13 PM

Here is the thread with the PDF Service Manuals for download

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=5781194

custom10nut 03-12-2017 10:21 PM

Sub'd for the links page:metal:

davischevy 03-12-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeroman (Post 7884047)
unscrew here.....

Thank you.

leddzepp 03-12-2017 11:58 PM

Think of the tilt lever as a bolt, and just twist it counterclockwise. It unscrews easily.

72tutone 03-13-2017 07:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This pic is looking directly down the tilt lever. If there is a screw in here I need new glasses.

72tutone 03-13-2017 07:23 AM

OMG. It's the simple things in life. Thank you everyone. I was looking for a screw and didn't realize the actual lever was the actual item to loosen. Oy ve. Shoot me now

CaptRMW 03-13-2017 08:56 AM

Do yourself a huge favor. Box up the column and take it to 70 shortfleet in St.Peters,Mo. save yourself a lot of grief later as you are having problems with the simple part and the difficult part is yet to come.

davischevy 03-13-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRMW (Post 7884292)
Do yourself a huge favor. Box up the column and take it to 70 shortfleet in St.Peters,Mo. save yourself a lot of grief later as you are having problems with the simple part and the difficult part is yet to come.

I was thinking the same thing.

davischevy 03-13-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 7884159)
Think of the tilt lever as a bolt, and just twist it counterclockwise. It unscrews easily.

How dare you interject logic into this conversation. :lol::lol::lol:

72tutone 03-14-2017 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After the overwhelming positive comments, Ive decided to forge forward in this quest of disassembly. I dislike not knowing how to do things, so Ive taken it on myself as a learning project.
Ive removed everything up to the point of removing the bearing assembly housing.
This piece was laying in the bottom of the bowl.
Ive looked at the exploded diagram and I dont see anything anywhere as to describe what this is. I dont think its the shoe release as the tilt is working fine.

Could this be the plate in the support assembly? I havent even made it into that yet.

randy500 03-14-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72tutone (Post 7885802)
After the overwhelming positive comments, Ive decided to forge forward in this quest of disassembly. I dislike not knowing how to do things, so Ive taken it on myself as a learning project.
Ive removed everything up to the point of removing the bearing assembly housing.
This piece was laying in the bottom of the bowl.
Ive looked at the exploded diagram and I dont see anything anywhere as to describe what this is. I dont think its the shoe release as the tilt is working fine.

Could this be the plate in the support assembly? I havent even made it into that yet.

You almost had me stumped...I think that is the plate that slides in a slot below where the tilt pointer sits, supports the tilt pointer inside the bulb and is swaged into the bowl, you can epoxy it back in.