The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any old Chevy steering wheel (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=741684)

dmjlambert 07-04-2017 08:25 PM

Any old Chevy steering wheel

Can I use any old Chevy steering wheel in my 1969 CST/10? I was thinking of getting something like this from a Chevy II.
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/u...233549_934.jpg
Or maybe an Impala wheel, something nice.
I see lots of posts where people show their wheels but I don't see mention of how it is done.
Would I need to do any modifications or would it just bolt on and the horn would work and the truck would steer?

Shinysideup 07-04-2017 08:54 PM

Re: Any old Chevy steering wheel

I asked the same idea, heres the thread,may help.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=736336

dmjlambert 07-04-2017 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, so any old GM wheel will work is the consensus. When I see something like this picture, it confuses me. On this Chevy II wheel, what the heck is that metal doohickey with the 2 prongs that mounts with the threaded holes that the steering wheel puller would use? And what is the deal with that plastic and metal contact that is sticking out of the back of the wheel hub? I would expect that to be reversed and sticking into the wheel hub to make contact with the horn button convex spring. Does any of this interfere with using the wheel on a truck?

Rufas 07-05-2017 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 7983493)
OK, so any old GM wheel will work is the consensus. When I see something like this picture, it confuses me. On this Chevy II wheel, what the heck is that metal doohickey with the 2 prongs that mounts with the threaded holes that the steering wheel puller would use? And what is the deal with that plastic and metal contact that is sticking out of the back of the wheel hub? I would expect that to be reversed and sticking into the wheel hub to make contact with the horn button convex spring. Does any of this interfere with using the wheel on a truck?

That picture is the back of the steering wheel.

"that metal doohickey with the 2 prongs that mounts with the threaded holes that the steering wheel puller would use"

That metal doohickey is the turn signal canceling cam. The steering wheel puller attaches to the front of the steering wheel. You will see those holes when you remove the horn button.

"And what is the deal with that plastic and metal contact that is sticking out of the back of the wheel hub?"

That is the contact for the horn slip ring assembly.

special-K 07-05-2017 06:51 AM

The horn arrangement can be a funky obstacle. Anything from the '60s-up is easier. The horn mechanism is on the front side once wheel is installed. I've never seen anyone want to put a 40s-50s wheel in a 60s-70s vehicle before.

Shinysideup 07-05-2017 08:53 AM

I think it would look right at home, maybe better than the chevelle one that is a popular swap.
I am partial to the 67-8 c10 wheel over the 69-72 but this is like a deluxe version of that,keeping it simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7983556)
. I've never seen anyone want to put a 40s-50s wheel in a 60s-70s vehicle before.

Its a '67 chevy II wheel so not a stretch of the imagination.

dmjlambert 07-29-2017 10:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. The more I look at them, the more I like 2 spoke steering wheels. I bought the one off of eBay that is in the 2nd picture above. I removed that extra cam stuff and it fit well. This one is much more restorable and nicer looking than my original wheel.

Original wheel I am replacing is severely cracked up, although it works.
Attachment 1675311

New wheel is from 62-65 Chevy II. I love it. It is about an inch smaller than the original.
Attachment 1675312

Shinysideup 07-29-2017 11:16 AM

Man, I dig it!
Color/patina works well. Good that its a hair smaller too.

RustyBucket 07-29-2017 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Original blue '58-'60 Impala, same dia. as stock wheel. Shortened the column for more "belly" room, but the bottom of the wheel got pretty close to the seat. Comfortable driving though, I can rest either elbow & steer with either hand.

midniteblues 07-29-2017 01:19 PM

That wheel does look nice plenty of guage veiwing room there and it looks comfy.

I really dig the 67-68 truck wheels you just cant go wrong with a 3 spoke.
I dont mind putting one on any yr. Truck as they still look "correct".

I had/have a really nice black 69-72 on my 71 but digging around in my junk i found a standard black 3 spoke 67 camaro wheel and thought hmmm.

So i set up the horn mech too work with a truck 67-68 horn button and put it on.
With the power steering on my k20 i really like the fit and feel of the 67 camaro wheel alot better than a yr. Correct oe 69-72 2 spoke wheel.

See my post in the link above for pic.