The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Econoline Wheels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742106)

bhayes1 07-10-2017 05:21 PM

Econoline Wheels

https://ventura.craigslist.org/for/6201368024.html

Can anyone confirm these are the correct econolone 8 lug steel wheels for our 3/4 ton trucks? Slim pickings at the pick n pull where I am at. Figure I'd offer him half that and go the schwab powder coat route.

My truck is 4x4 with the blue spicer hubs if that matters.

demian5 07-10-2017 06:43 PM

Re: Econoline Wheels

They should work. They are definitely not "the correct econoline 8 lug steel wheels for our 3/4 ton trucks" but should work if earlier than 99.

bhayes1 07-10-2017 07:25 PM

Hmm well I'm in no rush so if I'm going to take the time to have them powder coated and tires mounted then maybe I'll wait for the correct ones to show up.

terry b 07-10-2017 07:44 PM

I have them on my 1972. 3\4 ton. Fit good!!

bhayes1 07-10-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry b (Post 7987867)
I have them on my 1972. 3\4 ton. Fit good!!

These same ones this guy is advertising?

Shinysideup 07-10-2017 08:18 PM

The wrecking yards are full of those for cheaper.

special-K 07-11-2017 07:45 AM

They aren't just Econoline wheels, they were on F250s and F350s as well. You just have to be sure they are SAE pattern. You know they are if it has the Accuride logo stamped on them. You are looking for "Accurides" not Econoline wheels. In '96 the trucks went metric and the Econolines never changed, so this is probably where people get the Econoline from. But, Ford stopped putting dog dish on Econolines and either used wheel covers or nothing. The wheels changed to having no nubs for dog dish caps, so watch for that on Econoline wheels.

If those Craigslist wheels are what they say they are, they will work. And $37.50 each is a good price. I don't think the junkyards around here would sell them any cheaper

Joesjunk 07-11-2017 08:21 AM

Pick-N-pull's around here are full of them. They are about $15.00 each

CG 07-11-2017 08:55 AM

I got a set of those for free off of craigslist. Had to drive a bit to get them but free was a good price. I actually had to "force" some money on the fella. He kept saying I don't need any money for them, but to me I really appreciated getting something I had been semi keeping my eye out for for awhile. Finally took my money when I said use it to go buy your kiddos a treat at DQ or something =)

Orange Crate 07-11-2017 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They look the same as the wheels I bought last week for $30 each. On mine I did double check to make sure they had the "Accuride" stamped on the outside rim. I took them to the powder coat shop and they will be $75 a piece for sand blast, prime then powder coat white. The powder coat owner recommended the zinc primer due to the steel having a tendency to rust at the welds ( a second powder coater did not even mention priming when I called for a quote, I think experience speaks for itself). Heads up, just my 2 cents on your same rims.

outfield 07-11-2017 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The correct wheel bolt pattern is 6.5 inches center to center, and they are 7 inches wide, so If you're not sure, measure them before you buy them. I bought a set of these off the local craigslist (I measured first) and they turned out great on my '69 K20 after powder coat. they do have Ford stamped in them...

bhayes1 07-11-2017 12:34 PM

I ended up picking the wheels up this morning for 60 bucks and they had the accuride stamp on them. Saw the 1997 van they came off of. Thanks for all the help, saved me from having to pull a set out of a junkyard in triple digit heat.

bhayes1 07-12-2017 12:12 PM

Just got off of the phone with schwab and they still offer the sandblast and powder coat service. Manger said for 16" wheels it would definitely be less than 50 bucks for all 4 and he has a truck headed for Oregon tomorrow. I will be dropping them off today. It sounds like they offer a variety of different colors...does anyone know which shade of white is commonly used on these trucks?

Thoughts please.

Edit: after dropping the wheels off they wouldn't give me a price. Said it depends on amount of coating used....Seems odd to me. They should be able to firmly quote a price based on wheel diameter. However, the 50 bucks for all 4 seems to be quite a bit low. I'll let you know what I find out.

outfield 07-12-2017 12:21 PM

I had Les Schwab powder coat my wheels, great service and very convenient.

jerry moss 07-12-2017 09:46 PM

got mine a pick-n-pull on a 1/2 price weekend. i'll look into the schwab powder coating deal to see if our local shop offers it. thanks for the heads up.

CG 07-12-2017 10:14 PM

50 seems way low. Been awhile since I had them do a set for me but I was thinking it was around 40 a piece for blast and coat. And I feel like that was a good price. I hope your quote was correct though because Ill run mine down and get em done even though I prefer paint. Let us know bhayes1

bhayes1 07-13-2017 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 7989703)
50 seems way low. Been awhile since I had them do a set for me but I was thinking it was around 40 a piece for blast and coat. And I feel like that was a good price. I hope your quote was correct though because Ill run mine down and get em done even though I prefer paint. Let us know bhayes1

Yes, that was not accurate. Once I got there they wouldn't give me a price. The only thing one of the guys gave me was a not to exceed amount of around $200 bucks. Most of their business comes from doing mass quantities of tractor trailer wheels so most likely it will be lower depending on the amount of material used.

In my defense, once I got home I double checked with my wife because she was in the room while I was speaking to the manager on speaker phone and she confirmed that he quoted me total and not per wheel.

Oh well you know what they say.... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Honestly, I am now considering going back in the morning and grabbing them before they get on the truck and just painting them. My truck is pretty rough as it is.

special-K 07-13-2017 07:08 AM

I'd charge more than $50 to spray bomb them with hardware store paint :lol:

That's great you got them for $60. That's the most I've paid for a set. Never bought from the local junkyard (which is owned by LKQ), but they get $35-40 a wheel.

Sicklajoie 07-13-2017 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One thing to remember about these F#rd rims (which I have also) is that they're lug-centric rather than hub-centric. What I did was get some acorn lug nuts and slowly put them on a little at a time all the way around the wheel so that the lug nuts center the wheel.

demian5 07-13-2017 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicklajoie (Post 7990150)
One thing to remember about these F#rd rims (which I have also) is that they're lug-centric rather than hub-centric. What I did was get some acorn lug nuts and slowly put them on a little at a time all the way around the wheel so that the lug nuts center the wheel.

Hub/lug-centric LOL...

If your truck doesn't shake and vibrate when you drive it, then you are going too slow...

special-K 07-14-2017 08:05 AM

Chamfered seats on lug nuts and wheels will locate the wheels properly, but I always use tightening patterns on most everything. On 8-lug I always jump two lugs in a clockwise direction out of habit. It brings you right back to the first one. On 5 and 6 lug I skip one.

CG 07-14-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhayes1 (Post 7989805)
Yes, that was not accurate. Once I got there they wouldn't give me a price. The only thing one of the guys gave me was a not to exceed amount of around $200 bucks. Most of their business comes from doing mass quantities of tractor trailer wheels so most likely it will be lower depending on the amount of material used.

In my defense, once I got home I double checked with my wife because she was in the room while I was speaking to the manager on speaker phone and she confirmed that he quoted me total and not per wheel.

Oh well you know what they say.... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Honestly, I am now considering going back in the morning and grabbing them before they get on the truck and just painting them. My truck is pretty rough as it is.

I took my "Econoline" style wheels in to Les Schwabs today to get a quote ... 50 bucks per wheel to sand blast and white powder coat.

factorystock 07-14-2017 09:11 PM

The thing I like best about the wider Econo wheels is they look like period 16.5's. I could almost swear that outfields K 20 in post #11 has 16.5's. They look great!