The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you have OEM CA emissions / smog equipment still in place? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750975)

DeadheadNM 11-21-2017 10:38 PM

Do you have OEM CA emissions / smog equipment still in place?

1 Attachment(s)
Just curious who has CA emissions equipment still on their motor. I'm trying to reconstruct the missing system on my current Blazer build. My other blazer has its original equipment still intact.

Let's see some photos documenting the CA emissions systems.

Steeveedee 11-21-2017 10:44 PM

Re: Do you have OEM CA emissions / smog equipment still in place?

My truck has the Federal emissions package, so I can't take pictures to help you. However, if you need to see what was used, the Chassis Service Manual has pictures and schematic diagrams of the systems used, to help you. Someone here was gracious enough to scan in the entire manuals for a number of years; you should be able to find what you may need from those manuals.

DeadheadNM 11-21-2017 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slowly coming together on the blue blazer.

DeadheadNM 11-21-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8087599)
My truck has the Federal emissions package, so I can't take pictures to help you. However, if you need to see what was used, the Chassis Service Manual has pictures and schematic diagrams of the systems used, to help you. Someone here was gracious enough to scan in the entire manuals for a number of years; you should be able to find what you may need from those manuals.

Thank you! The manual had an example from 68 - some brackets differed. I couldn't find a schematic for 72. It helps having the other blazer to reference. I'm curious how these systems differed over the years and for AC vs non-AC trucks and what problems if any others have with their systems. Granted many or most systems were probably tossed out long ago.

davischevy 11-21-2017 11:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I can take more if you need them. I guess I should have called and let you look at it early that morning when I came back through Albuquerque.

davischevy 11-21-2017 11:36 PM

BTW, mine has what sounds like an exhaust leak. I had new exhaust installed, but the noise is still there. Do you have any ideas.

Coley 11-22-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8087643)
BTW, mine has what sounds like an exhaust leak. I had new exhaust installed, but the noise is still there. Do you have any ideas.

Check the back of the emissions unit for a vacuum port.
It looks like the vacuum line from the (california/emissions) carb has been plugged (in your 1st pic) and I believe this normally runs to the emissions unit.

Coley

davischevy 11-22-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8087921)
Check the back of the emissions unit for a vacuum port.
It looks like the vacuum line from the (california/emissions) carb has been plugged (in your 1st pic) and I believe this normally runs to the emissions unit.

Coley

Thanks, I'll check it out.

DeadheadNM 11-22-2017 11:26 PM

I've read the pump can seize over time and makes a racket but wouldn't suspect that would sound like an exhaust leak. If the diverter valve diaphragm fails it can produce a vacuum leak (read it can be cured by placing a BB in the signal hose to the valve) and continuously dump air into the exhaust manifolds that can cause back firing.

I found a guy who rebuilds divertor valves for the corvette crowd. Rock auto recently had a close out on some USA made reproduction diverter valves for like $10. These are plastic and the hose tubes oriented differently but I may use one until I can have the original unit rebuilt.

Next time Larry! Thanks for the pics!

DeadheadNM 11-22-2017 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an AIR schematic for a small block - generic and not specific for a pickup though.

DeadheadNM 11-22-2017 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been able to scrounge some NOS pieces to rebuild the system in my Blazer.

DeadheadNM 11-22-2017 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
....even a pump.

DeadheadNM 11-22-2017 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The emissions decal for CA emissions half tons in 72 made use of this LM decal (not reproduced to my knowledge).

DeadheadNM 11-24-2017 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Example pic of AIR brackets and AC brackets for SBC 1972

toms68cst 11-26-2017 03:55 PM

I have a complete AIR System on my 68 if you need any more info/pictures. As I recall, at least in 68 only the standard transmission - half tons had AIR systems. There were probably different rules in later years.

tdangle 11-26-2017 05:35 PM

Guess I am lucky. My 3/4 ton 1970 had no emission controls, outside of the spark and fuel calibrations. Good luck getting it all together, so many people removed all that stuff years ago.

DeadheadNM 11-29-2017 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms68cst (Post 8090612)
I have a complete AIR System on my 68 if you need any more info/pictures. As I recall, at least in 68 only the standard transmission - half tons had AIR systems. There were probably different rules in later years.

I'm really curious about 68 actually because I've seen two half ton 4wd trucks both seemed to have AIR brackets but CA emissions not listed on the SPID. Did all standard tranny V8 trucks in 68 have AIR equipment?

DeadheadNM 11-29-2017 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdangle (Post 8090689)
Guess I am lucky. My 3/4 ton 1970 had no emission controls, outside of the spark and fuel calibrations. Good luck getting it all together, so many people removed all that stuff years ago.

Thanks. I've been able to scrounge the parts but need to have the diverter valve rebuilt.

No 3/4t trucks had AIR - I believe these were emissions exempt.

57taskforce 11-29-2017 09:23 AM

Looking good Pete!

davischevy 11-29-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8092716)
I'm really curious about 68 actually because I've seen two half ton 4wd trucks both seemed to have AIR brackets but CA emissions not listed on the SPID. Did all standard tranny V8 trucks in 68 have AIR equipment?

I can't speak to the 1968 V8 trucks, but my dad bought a new 68 1/2 ton, six cylinder, TOT, and it had an emissions system. I don't know where the truck was built, but not likely in California.

He traded it in on a new 69, 350 engine, 350 automatic, and it did not have an emissions system.

toms68cst 11-29-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8092716)

From what I've seen, The AIR Pump (In 68 anyway) was installed nationwide (Not just Calf) on 1/2 ton - manual transmission trucks. I don't think it made a difference if it was a 6 or V8. I think the automatics had heat risers. My truck has no smog option listed on the glovebox. I am pretty sure it was purchased in the midwest.

3/4 ton trucks and heavier seem to have had fewer smog control requirements in 68.

Bigdav160 11-30-2017 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8092718)
No 3/4t trucks had AIR - I believe these were emissions exempt.

Here's the tag from my '72 California 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban. I have no reason to suspect the fender well has been replaced. The engine has been replaced along with the exhaust. PO installed headers/aluminum intake. No AIR brackets left.

Coley 11-30-2017 05:13 PM

My truck was a California truck for most of its life and came with all the emissions stuff (pump, brackets, hoses, connections, pipes, etc) when I got it.
That stuff was all removed and off within a couple of hours once I got the truck back to B.C.....and now all in a box under the bench in the shop...probably never to see the light of day again, lol.

Coley

DeadheadNM 11-30-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms68cst (Post 8093291)
From what I've seen, The AIR Pump (In 68 anyway) was installed nationwide (Not just Calf) on 1/2 ton - manual transmission trucks. I don't think it made a difference if it was a 6 or V8. I think the automatics had heat risers. My truck has no smog option listed on the glovebox. I am pretty sure it was purchased in the midwest.

3/4 ton trucks and heavier seem to have had fewer smog control requirements in 68.

That's helpful info. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 8093829)
Here's the tag from my '72 California 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban. I have no reason to suspect the fender well has been replaced. The engine has been replaced along with the exhaust. PO installed headers/aluminum intake. No AIR brackets left.

Can you post a pic of the SPID listing the CA emissions equipment? 3/4t emissions decals were different than 1/2t in 72. That you've listed is for a 1/2t application. 3/4t emission decals were located on the radiator support.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8093911)
My truck was a California truck for most of its life and came with all the emissions stuff (pump, brackets, hoses, connections, pipes, etc) when I got it.
That stuff was all removed and off within a couple of hours once I got the truck back to B.C.....and now all in a box under the bench in the shop...probably never to see the light of day again, lol.

Coley

Make space in the garage - give me the box :)

DeadheadNM 11-30-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8092831)
Looking good Pete!

Thanks! Shoot me a text when possible - lost all my phone data :(