The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How To Stiffen Front Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752728)

Nuckingfuts 12-15-2017 11:08 PM

How To Stiffen Front Suspension

After searching I see suggestions for sway bars but I'd like to stiffen my straight line suspension.

I've got a '73 with a 5/7 static drop, twin tube shocks all around, 28" OD tires and my front tires occasionally contact the wheel wells when I hit dips on the highway. I'd like to stiffen up the front end about 25% more and would like to know what you guys have done. Ideas?

Ziegelsteinfaust 12-16-2017 11:55 PM

Re: How To Stiffen Front Suspension

This is a bit out of my specialty right now, but that is a rather tall tire for such a drop.

You could roll the fender well lips.

But I would get front rims with a bit more back spacing or slightly shorter+narrower tires.

Of course it is hard to see the problems. On the Internet

Nuckingfuts 12-17-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 8106923)
This is a bit out of my specialty right now, but that is a rather tall tire for such a drop.

You could roll the fender well lips.

But I would get front rims with a bit more back spacing or slightly shorter+narrower tires.

Of course it is hard to see the problems. On the Internet

The plan is to swap in some 15" ralleys with 255/60 coppers which will make it a 27" which will help a bit.

I'm assuming C20/C30 springs are heavier rate, has anyone tried using these to stiffen the front?

HunterRotten 12-17-2017 04:16 PM

Sway bar and drop coils with a stiffer rate. CPP sells a little adapter on their site that raises the sway bar up for dropped C10's.

69heavychevy 12-17-2017 04:42 PM

My front end stiffened up a bit when I switched over to BBC springs. I did cut 1 coil off to get the desired drop on the front.

LT7A 12-17-2017 05:32 PM

All the stuff mentioned above sounds like it'll help. I'd get or fab some extensions for your bump-stops. If you like how your suspension currently operates, then you're done. Even if you want to implement other items, the bump-stops should be compatible and are your last line of defense since they have the final word on sudden suspension impacts.

Nuckingfuts 12-17-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterRotten (Post 8107371)
Sway bar and drop coils with a stiffer rate. CPP sells a little adapter on their site that raises the sway bar up for dropped C10's.

I'm currently using DJM 2" drop coils but I think they're the same rate as stock just shorter. Who carries a 2" drop stiffer rate spring?

SCOTI 12-18-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuckingfuts (Post 8107595)
I'm currently using DJM 2" drop coils but I think they're the same rate as stock just shorter. Who carries a 2" drop stiffer rate spring?

Try Hotchkis.
Nobody else that I'm aware of lists a spring rate for dropped coils. Hotchkis offers 2" & 4" dropped versions. The alternative is new coils that have a higher spring rate vs your current ones cut to your desired drop.