The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Quick question for ignition wiring gurus (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=758086)

jmader 02-27-2018 03:14 PM

Quick question for ignition wiring gurus

My first time installing a complete wiring harness and I’m a little stuck. I’m putting a AAW classic update harness into a truck with a pertronix igniter unit in the distributor. The instructions say to run the pink wire (12v) to the positive side of the distributor cap. I’m assuming I just run it to the + side of the coil and hook up the red wire from the pertronix to the + coil also?

HO455 02-27-2018 04:29 PM

Re: Quick question for ignition wiring gurus

That sounds correct. There's an obvious typo as there is no wire connection to the distributor cap. Depending on what Pertronix unit you have it may want 12 volts or 6 volts.

rapid49 02-27-2018 04:58 PM

Sounds like instructions for a H.E.I.

jmader 02-27-2018 10:19 PM

Here's a link of the instructions. I talked to AAW and they said the harness will work wit the Pertronix unit as long as it is straight ignition 12 volts which Pertrnix verified and said no resistor is needed.
https://www.americanautowire.com/PDF...20IN%201.0.pdf

jmader 03-01-2018 12:20 PM

Anyone have thoughts on this? I don’t want to fry anything if I hook it up wrong...

jmader 03-03-2018 10:44 AM

Anyone?

kwmech 03-03-2018 11:27 AM

Personally I would eliminate the Pertronix unit and go with the HEI. I feel the HEI is a more reliable unit

jmader 03-03-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8202173)
Personally I would eliminate the Pertronix unit and go with the HEI. I feel the HEI is a more reliable unit

I would if I wasn’t doing a stock restoration plus it’s a 4x4 truck so I don’t really have the room

hjewell2 03-03-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8202173)

Darn tootin!!

davepl 03-03-2018 12:35 PM

I'm running a Pertronix Ingnitor III module because I wanted to run a stock body distributor cap. I'm using an M&H harness that I ordered custom without a resistor wire.

Presuming you have eliminated your resistor wire or have otherwise provided an unmodified 12V ignition path, just follow the hookup instructions and all will be fine.

If you have a tach you might notice it reads high at low RPM due to the multiple spark feature.

kwmech 03-03-2018 02:17 PM

The HEI will fit in a 4wd unless your body mounts are trashed. I just installed one in a 72 K5 for a customer. I can get my finger tips behind the cap. It's tight but it clears.

Tiger Joe 03-04-2018 09:28 AM

Your wiring is correct. 12v to coil +. Pertronix connects there as well.

I know guys have had issues with pertronix but i personally have one in a chevelle- going on 3rd season with no issues. And when I was a kid my dad installed one in a gto when they first were the hot item, that was probably mid to late 90s and it’s still going strong

jmader 03-04-2018 12:02 PM

OK thanks for the help guys. I'm not too worried about performance since it won't be on the road all that often. I just want to keep the stock look because that's the look I prefer

davepl 03-04-2018 02:58 PM

I think the GM HEI is a nice reliable unit. The Chinese HEIs not so much. But it doesn't help him or me because we both want stock-bodied Delco style distributors.

Pertronix offers a ready-to-run Delco small cap distributor and I bought that for my truck, but on my current car restoration I'm using the module so I can keep the original date coded distributor.