The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Annoying Phone Calls (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=758157)

Ironhorse 02-28-2018 12:50 PM

Annoying Phone Calls

Just on a rant this morning I guess. For last 4-5 months, sometimes 2 times a day, sometimes as many as 5 or more a day we get a phone call on our home phone. Sometimes listed as "wireless caller" and number, some times an 800 number and sometimes is a local area code and number. NEVER leave a message, just at the end of the "call" a woman's voice says "Good-bye" and the call ends. We are and have been on a National "No Call" list for many years and after searching that fact once enrolled my understanding is DOES NOT need to be up-dated or DOES NOT expire. Doesn't seem to do much good tho.

Neither my wife or I answer the phone if we do not recognize the number. That is the job of the phone message record/ID box. Just really annoying and I just do not understand the reasoning behind the call. We don't answer, they don't leave a message.

Just curious, but does anyone else get this type of call? Does not seem to serve any purpose that I can see. Scam maybe, but we don't answer, never have. Am I missing some thing here?

RedBed 02-28-2018 12:53 PM

Re: Annoying Phone Calls

"No Call List".... :lol:

A great example of government effectiveness. :lol:

I don't answer a lot of calls. There is no escape.

flashed 02-28-2018 01:17 PM

Its bad enough on the home phone but its worse on my cell phone .

mongocanfly 02-28-2018 01:28 PM

no home phone but I get plenty on the cell.....I'm on no call list as well...I don't answer if I don't knowem...already got 2 this morning. ..

RedBed 02-28-2018 01:30 PM

By the way, if any of you need a better credit card rate... offer expires soon!...

a1vintage69 02-28-2018 02:16 PM

most new answering machines have a option to block numbers and so do the cell phones. good luck on figuring it out.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

lux 02-28-2018 02:22 PM

I use a google android phone. When it rings a suspected spam caller it tells you on the screen. Thats great and all but why doesn't it give me the option to just have those calls not ring at all? If it already thinks the call is spam,,, just don't ring. In block the numbers each time, but by now my blocked call list is hundreds of numbers.

jeffahart 02-28-2018 02:54 PM

I started blocking numbers. It doesn't stop the call, but it does not ring. Now I only get a few a week that are not blocked. I used to get several a day on my cell phone. Makes me so mad.

I had to turn off my land line, it became useless, nothing but solicitations all day. During the big solar panel push, I got nagged three or four times a day. To the point I had the sales people out here sitting in the drive way. I put out chairs for them and told them I would be back. I got side tracked answering the phone solicitation calls! I looked out my window at them a few times and wondered how they liked having their time wasted. They knocked on the door several times. I ignored them, they eventually left. Take that nag! :box:

Did not stop the phone from ringing. Now all the solar panel nags have morphed themselves into home improvement contractor nags!

Now I block numbers. If I don't hear it ring, it didn't happen.

The do not call list is useless. I'm on it!

j

harpo231 02-28-2018 03:12 PM

Same here,,, I block calls[numbers] but,they use many different ones...mostly cc stuff , some collection scams,,I google the numbers and if landline can see what others who answer can tell me...

Got over 200 blocked

Stocker 02-28-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBed (Post 8199774)
"No Call List".... :lol:

A great example of government effectiveness. :lol:

I don't answer a lot of calls. There is no escape.

Ditto that!! We are also on the list but the calls keep coming. No caller ID on the landline so we usually answer, then just hang up. Sometimes we let the answering machine take the call.

If we don't recognize the caller's number on our cell phone, we ignore it and don't answer.

richard2717 02-28-2018 06:27 PM

I don't have that problem. No home phone anymore and my cell is only for text and email so if someone should happen to call I already know they do not know me, or they would know not to call me. (Btw I am deaf now) :lol:

jeffahart 02-28-2018 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 8200016)
(Btw I am deaf now) :lol:

Seriously? Sorry to hear that! I'm deaf out of my right ear and the left is going pretty decent, but I can hear my phone... and those solicitors know it! :lol:

kwmech 02-28-2018 07:12 PM

Get them constantly all day every day on both my home and business line. Solar calls, vacation calls, HEY! you're a winner!!!, policeman funds, firemna funds etc. Business line is credit card machine, office supplies etc. Yesterday it was the usual spring scam (4 of them an hour apart) about how the IRS is filing a lien against me unless I call this number out of Baton Rouge 225-228-1237, the number I called was the Federal Trade Commission

jeffahart 02-28-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8200043)
Get them constantly all day every day on both my home and business line. Solar calls, vacation calls, HEY! you're a winner!!!, policeman funds, firemna funds etc. Business line is credit card machine, office supplies etc. Yesterday it was the usual spring scam (4 of them an hour apart) about how the IRS is filing a lien against me unless I call this number out of Baton Rouge 225-228-1237, the number I called was the Federal Trade Commission

Just buy the solar panels already! :lol:

Get this one. My phone rang the other day from my own number. I looked at it and thought what the hey. I knew it was some kind of scam but I had to answer. It was ATT message telling my account was going to be closed and asked for the last four of my SSN. I hung up.

I can see four or five calls from blocked numbers a day on my phone. Those are all calls I did not hear ring because of block. But I still get rings.

There's no stopping them, they're on me like flies on crap! :smoke:

j

special-K 03-01-2018 07:20 AM

It's called going paperless. I prefer throwing envelopes away to be recycled into more junk mail. I believe using a phone to gain access into your home by strangers as an invasion of privacy. This crap used to happen door to door at first. You could either not answer the door, put a no solicitors sign up (and they would respect that), and even neighborhood would have covenants against them entering.

Then came phones, a consumer product we could chose to purchase to make our lives more convenient. Then the S.O.B.s figured out the loophole way to get into your living room from the convenience of their desk. I hate the auto-dial that when you answer it makes you wait until the schmuck can get to you. F that!

Mike, there is never anyone there because they want to talk to you, not leave a message they know you won't return. They know no one wants to talk to them. A hell of a way to spend the day. Must leave a person feeling less than human by the end of the day. I feel bad for anyone so desperate as to feel they need such a job. But not sorry enough to play their game. They could call me offering the best deal on the planet on something I was about to purchase after doing all my research and I would still turn them down because I DON'T BUY THINGS THAT WAY!

Advanced Design 03-01-2018 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We’ve been getting so many calls on the land line I guessed our registration on the do not call list expired. Like mentioned above, the registration does not expire.
I’ve also been getting those calls on the cell phone from numbers with the same area code and pre-fix, making me think it must be a co-worker (company provided phone).
Like about everyone, if I don’t know the number, I’ve stopped answering it.

How do we stop this?

old Rusty C10 03-01-2018 10:07 AM

I have found that when you block one number they call back on another.. a lot of the t ime my cell notes "Scam Likely" or Nusiance likely as the caller ID... being its used for business I have to answer unless I see that kind of thing I figure someone legit will leave a message and illg et back to them immediately

mongocanfly 03-01-2018 10:08 AM

I've got several friends that have got upset with me because they will call me from their work phone and if I don't know the number I don't answer....they've all about figured me out now....if they want to talk to me they send me a text saying "answer your dang phone"!!!!....haha....I had my voice mail turned off because of them...

it used to be all long distant calls but now its more local area codes....

JON67 03-01-2018 10:35 AM

blocking the numbers won't really do anything, because they are using software to spoof numbers to make it look like they are calling from a local number. that is why most of these calls have the same area code and prefix as your number. Your number has probably been used to call somebody else too.

LEEVON 03-01-2018 11:54 AM

There is no way to stop it. I have 4 business lines and the calls come and go. Right now they're almost zero. Sometimes we're up to 10 or more junk calls/day. The only thing you can do is report the phone numbers to the FCC. There is a website you can quickly enter the information. Seems futile, yes but they use this data to see trends and prosecute. Last year it was all the "local" calls from surrounding small towns that looked legit. Drove me nuts! But they stopped it more or less eventually.

jeffahart 03-01-2018 02:17 PM

The block actually does work. It's not a hard software block. It just turns off the ringer. The robo calls pause and wait for a pickup. If you pick up, then more calls.

You have to not pickup, select the recent number from the call log and block it on your phone.

They do call from the same numbers and quite often, If I goto the recent call list on my cell phone, I can see several of the blocked icon next to the number. It blocks(turns off the ringer) for several calls each day. When my phone rings I look at it, and if I don't pick up I block the number. If it's an important caller they can leave a message. But robo cannot leave a message and solicitors rarely do. At first it's clumsy to block, but I know the clicks now and am pretty fast at it. It's a maintenance routine now!

The block procedure has reduced my rings per day. :chevy:

j

richard2717 03-01-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8200020)
Seriously? Sorry to hear that! I'm deaf out of my right ear and the left is going pretty decent, but I can hear my phone... and those solicitors know it! :lol:

Yep lost it all somewhere along 2010-2012. (coincidentally I got married in 2009 :lol:) Sometimes I enjoy it but most of the time it is quite frustrating. Worst part is I can't find anyone willing to sign off on my DOT physical card anymore since they have tightened the screws on it so now I have several of my own trucks they say I can't drive anymore.

jeffahart 03-01-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 8200678)
Worst part is I can't find anyone willing to sign off on my DOT physical card anymore since they have tightened the screws on it so now I have several of my own trucks they say I can't drive anymore.

What is the deal on that. You can't drive them because of being deaf! That's scaring me right now!

j

richard2717 03-01-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8200691)
What is the deal on that. You can't drive them because of being deaf! That's scaring me right now!

j

yep anything over 10k lbs requires DOT physical card (commercial use) and part of the physical is the hearing test. I could not pass the hearing booth so i switched doctors to one that did the whisper test. All was good until last year he did it while I was not reading his lips. He told me this year (he gave me a one year only card because of this) he will not sign off again unless I get it fixed. Already thrown $6k away on useless hearing aids. They say $100k cohclear implants are only option now. Can't afford insurance so I guess I will be deaf.
Funny thing is, I have a 42' bucket truck on a 26k truck that I can't drive but yet I can get into a 32' 10k lb truck and drive it legally. If anything I feel like I am more attentive being deaf than those on their phones etc. because i am constantly looking around for cops ambos and the like. Just a money scam for the govt. I guess

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-02-2018 01:45 PM

I get calls to sign up sign up for a computer virus all the time. The other day they said I had a virus on my Apple devices. I told him only towel-heads own apple devices. End of call.