The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Quadrajunk (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=760333)

lowbucktrucks 03-26-2018 09:47 PM

Quadrajunk

My quadrajet is quadrajunk. Isn't there a board member who sells and or rebuilds them??
If not, where is the best place to buy one??
Thanks

Steeveedee 03-26-2018 10:24 PM

Re: Quadrajunk

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowbucktrucks (Post 8222788)
My quadrajet is quadrajunk. Isn't there a board member who sells and or rebuilds them??
If not, where is the best place to buy one??
Thanks

I don't know about here, but

Ken at Everyday Performance
Cliff Ruggles at Cliffshighperformance
Mark Harmon at Quadrajet Power
are names I know from my Buick experience

Any one of these guys can fix that thing like new. If you find someone here, that's cool, too. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder.

Is it the original carburetor? It makes a difference, when it comes to getting the job done right. Tell any of these guys the casting number, and they'll tell you what it is from. BUT, if someone has committed a Dr Frankenstein job on it, that could be a problem. HTH

I have a Q-Jet on my truck that I've rebuilt using Cliff's kits, and it works like a charm. It's probably the 3rd time I've rebuilt it in the last 30 years, since it used to belong to my father in law and I used to do most of his mechanic work.

Grumpy old man 03-26-2018 10:32 PM

Rebuild what you already have , https://quadrajetparts.com/rochester...jet-c-128.html

Or just find your local carb shop to rebuild it . :smoke:

lowbucktrucks 03-26-2018 10:35 PM

Mine is a frankenstein, missing choke parts, I was making it do, but I'm changing engines (to a L31 vortec)and was looking at a edelbrock 2116 so I could use a quad, but I may use an edelbrock EPS and a performer carb. Trying to keep cost down without sacrificing to much quality.
Rebuilt quads at summit are $380

lowbucktrucks 03-26-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8222826)
I don't know about here, but

Ken at Everyday Performance
Cliff Ruggles at Cliffshighperformance
Mark Harmon at Quadrajet Power
are names I know from my Buick experience

Any one of these guys can fix that thing like new. If you find someone here, that's cool, too. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder.

Is it the original carburetor? It makes a difference, when it comes to getting the job done right. Tell any of these guys the casting number, and they'll tell you what it is from. BUT, if someone has committed a Dr Frankenstein job on it, that could be a problem. HTH

I have a Q-Jet on my truck that I've rebuilt using Cliff's kits, and it works like a charm. It's probably the 3rd time I've rebuilt it in the last 30 years, since it used to belong to my father in law and I used to do most of his mechanic work.

Thanks for the quick reply
It is not original, the original was stolen before I bought it. It was a junker put on to make it run.
Like those buicks had a 68, 70(455), and 3 71's GS's and my wife has a 99 GSE supercharged V6 for her weekend ride. I also still have two 455 engines waiting on a project

Grumpy old man 03-26-2018 10:45 PM

you can rebuild it and buy the missing choke parts for less than $60.00 , your choice rebuild it or use visa and UPS .:smoke:

lowbucktrucks 03-26-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8222840)
Rebuild what you already have , https://quadrajetparts.com/rochester...jet-c-128.html

Or just find your local carb shop to rebuild it . :smoke:

Have a great carb guy, and he owes me a rebuild (work swap out); but I believe mine is fubared

lowbucktrucks 03-26-2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8222857)
you can rebuild it and buy the missing choke parts for less than $60.00 , your choice rebuild it or use visa and UPS .:smoke:

Wow I didn't know all that was still available, may have to rethink my plan

truckster 03-26-2018 10:59 PM

Here's what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/National-Carb.../dp/B00IA5L362

$240 and runs great right out of the box.

dmjlambert 03-26-2018 11:59 PM

That's the one I got, except I ordered it directly from national carburetor and sent them my old carb for a core return. They built it for me with 1969 linkage. It was inexpensive and got my truck going. The old carb had both the fuel inlet and needle valve seat threads stripped out, and the damned thing was put back together with baling wire and bubble gum. I was glad to get rid if it.

special-K 03-27-2018 06:55 AM

You can take it to a shop that specializes in bench work rebuilds. Most bigger towns and cities will have such a shop that the repair shops take their carbs, starter, alternators, generators, and such to for rebuilds. You can have a QuadraJet rebuilt for half what it costs for a rebuilt over the counter.

When I see "Quadrajunk" it instantly tells me that person knows nothing about 4bbl carburetors. It screams ignorance. Probably a good idea to forget you ever heard that word. It tends to rile me just seeing it. They are one of the best factory production, as well as aftermarket, 4bbl carbs ever made. Not sure there is another 4bbl that can give all a Qjet can, in full spectrum. That spread bore design is right for today with what fuel costs. I've enever had a 4bbl sip as little as a Qjet and still give full power the way they do

lowbucktrucks 03-27-2018 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8223030)
You can take it to a shop that specializes in bench work rebuilds. Most bigger towns and cities will have such a shop that the repair shops take their carbs, starter, alternators, generators, and such to for rebuilds. You can have a QuadraJet rebuilt for half what it costs for a rebuilt over the counter.

When I see "Quadrajunk" it instantly tells me that person knows nothing about 4bbl carburetors. It screams ignorance. Probably a good idea to forget you ever heard that word. It tends to rile me just seeing it. They are one of the best factory production, as well as aftermarket, 4bbl carbs ever made. Not sure there is another 4bbl that can give all a Qjet can, in full spectrum. That spread bore design is right for today with what fuel costs. I've enever had a 4bbl sip as little as a Qjet and still give full power the way they do

Love my quads, but mine is a quadrajunk, the original was stolen and this was put on by a shade tree ( please don't get on me for talking about shade tree mechanics too, all I have is a carport, and it's full) just to sell the car. I still want one because I believe its the best carb ever made. I've decided to buy a rebuilt one, but I'm keeping this one to rebuild for the next truck (69 c20 292, changing to 91 454/400/14bolt ff) I'm building. I like to keep my rebuilds as thrifty as possible, but time is money too, and I need this truck as a driver soon.

D.PASSMORE 03-27-2018 07:49 AM

I would just go with off the shelf Edelbrock 1801 Thunder Series and matching manifold for your L31. It will get you down the road. The Edelbrock are easy to work on too. They come with instructions on set up and customer support line. Plus they have an electric choke. Rule of thumb, for street driving and mid-performance, use a Quadrajet - mild to wild in two seconds. If want to race or heavy pulling, use a Holley. Edelbrock, use for every day driving, like I mentioned, easy on the brain to mess with. My 2 cents...

joeydurango 03-27-2018 09:05 AM

Lars Grimsrud out here in Colorado is known nationally for his QJ knowledge. He can rebuild it for you if you contact him.

palallin 03-27-2018 10:02 AM

Although I don't have one at the moment, I agree that the Q-jet is an excellent unit, and I hope to have one again someday (other priorities right now).

But I just have to share the name my ex-F-I-L (He was not a fan; then again, he tore up every vehicle he ever owned) gave them:
Rottenchester Quadrajunk Carbonator.

demian5 03-27-2018 11:37 AM

I rebuild them, and have a box full of old ones for parts. But I'm in CA.

Cali72K20 03-27-2018 11:39 AM

They are on sale $189.95 plus shipping and core, I just got one for my truck and it runs perfect now.

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/l...partnum=nd4213

demian5 03-27-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali72K20 (Post 8223204)
They are on sale $189.95 plus shipping and core, I just got one for my truck and it runs perfect now.

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/l...partnum=nd4213

Thats a killer deal. Just do our best to upgrade to an electric choke. You will thank yourself.

67_C-30 03-27-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE (Post 8223050)
I would just go with off the shelf Edelbrock and matching manifold for your L31. It will get you down the road. The Edelbrock are easy to work on too. They come with instructions on set up and customer support line. Plus they have an electric choke. Rule of thumb, for street driving and mid-performance, use a Quadrajet - mild to wild in two seconds. If want to race or heavy pulling, use a Holley. Edelbrock, use for every day driving, like I mentioned, easy on the brain to mess with. My 2 cents...

Except a Quadrajet does EVERYTHING better than an Edelbrock. An Edelbrock is a warmed warmed over version of a Carter AFB, which is an OK carb, but very limited. It's just an antique design, which is why they were phased out 20 years before the Q-jet was.

The Street Demon carb that is basically a revised hybrid between a Q-jet and a Thermoquad is the carb I'd choose if I going with an aftermarket carb for a daily driver.

Richard2112 03-27-2018 11:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Rebuild. They're great carbs

MJN 03-27-2018 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just had mine rebuilt and slightly modified by Quadrajet Power in Texas. It was definitely worth it, I highly recommend them.

67_C-30 03-27-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE (Post 8223050)
I would just go with off the shelf Edelbrock and matching manifold for your L31. It will get you down the road. The Edelbrock are easy to work on too. They come with instructions on set up and customer support line. Plus they have an electric choke. Rule of thumb, for street driving and mid-performance, use a Quadrajet - mild to wild in two seconds. If want to race or heavy pulling, use a Holley. Edelbrock, use for every day driving, like I mentioned, easy on the brain to mess with. My 2 cents...

Except a Quadrajet does EVERYTHING better than an Edelbrock. An Edelbrock is a warmed warmed over version of a Carter AFB, which is an OK carb, but very limited. It's just an antique design, which is why they were phased out 20 years before the Q-jet was.

The Street Demon carb that is basically a revised hybrid between a Q-jet and a Thermoquad is the carb I'd choose if I going with an aftermarket carb.

leddzepp 03-27-2018 02:30 PM

Any carb can work great and any carb can suck...just depends on how well it is tuned. They are all pretty much obsolete anyways, take your pick :lol: I have both Edelbrock and q-jets under my hoods. If I didn’t tell you which was which you wouldn’t know the difference while driving them.

70 shorty 03-27-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeydurango (Post 8223097)
Lars Grimsrud out here in Colorado is known nationally for his QJ knowledge. He can rebuild it for you if you contact him.

V8fastcars@msm.com is his email. take a look on Corvetteforum.com and see all the positive comments he gets for his first rate qjet work. He tests every carb he rebuilds on his test engine. He will also tell you if yours is too frankensteined to be rebuilt.

Grumpy old man 03-27-2018 08:53 PM

If you caan't or just don't want to rebuild your own any local carb rebuild shop can handle the task of fixing it for you , Sure there are lot's of "big name " carb guys but for your local daily driver or weekend cruiser you don't need to go any further than your own local carb shop .