The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   What's the best and easiest way to get an EFI fuel setup with in cab tank? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766699)

davepl 07-02-2018 11:31 AM

What's the best and easiest way to get an EFI fuel setup with in cab tank?

I'm so impressed with the Holley Sniper on my '69 427 that I'm considering doing something that would have been sacrilege a couple of years back - putting it on my 402. And while that isn't an LS swap, I'll need the same fuel system.

So I'm wondering what people have been doing for return style fuel systems with an in-cab tank that isn't super noisy?

mongocanfly 07-02-2018 12:26 PM

Re: What's the best and easiest way to get an EFI fuel setup with in cab tank?

You could use a inline pump...(walbro255)....mount it under the cab...but you'll need a return port to the tank

davepl 07-02-2018 02:09 PM

I'm always afraid the inline pumps are loud, but I guess when the other option is in the tank right behind you, it might be the lesser of two evils.

Any clever approaches to plumbing the return?

I was thinking that these tanks are so "deep" that as long as a guy kept it 1/3 full, you'd never starve the pump in normal turns. Or do you still need baffles?

nsb29 07-02-2018 03:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1798054

Attachment 1798055

Attachment 1798056
Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8292818)
I'm so impressed with the Holley Sniper on my '69 427 that I'm considering doing something that would have been sacrilege a couple of years back - putting it on my 402. And while that isn't an LS swap, I'll need the same fuel system.

So I'm wondering what people have been doing for return style fuel systems with an in-cab tank that isn't super noisy?

This is what I did and used a Corvette filter/regulatorThe original line was used for a return line and fuel gauge the one I added was the in tank fuel pump

dayj1 07-02-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8292818)

I ran an in-cab tank with an internal pump in a '72 C10. I made sure to buy a genuine Delco EP381 pump thinking that it would be the most quiet pump choice and it wasn't loud at all...after adding dynamat and ensoiite foam and a carpet kit over the tank.

All the sound deadening wasn't cheap, but it worked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8292924)
I was thinking that these tanks are so "deep" that as long as a guy kept it 1/3 full, you'd never starve the pump in normal turns. Or do you still need baffles?

In my experience, no baffles were needed. I routinely ran mine even lower than 1/3 full without issue.

mongocanfly 07-02-2018 04:03 PM

The only time I hear my inline pump is when I turn the switch on before cranking.....or if I crawl under the truck and stick my ear up to it with engine running.....mines right at the back of the cab on drivers side...

Wildkarde 07-04-2018 01:02 AM

You can use a fuel pickup/sending unit from a 72 truck and an inline pump, the late model sending unit has a return line built in.

davepl 07-04-2018 02:39 PM

Would a '72 pickup/sender work with my '70 3/4 ton tank?

I wonder if you could mount the pump right on the pickup in-tank?

nsb29 07-04-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8294247)
Would a '72 pickup/sender work with my '70 3/4 ton tank?

I wonder if you could mount the pump right on the pickup in-tank?

It should work if you have room to drill a hole for your power I thought about putting it all in one but it got tight my brother pute every thing threw his sending unit on his 66

davepl 07-05-2018 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to confirm, is this the one I would need?

davepl 07-05-2018 02:18 PM

Just thinking out loud, since the in-cab tank is so high, you could actually mount an inline pump more towards the engine compartment and it'd still be gravity fed by the pump. They don't like to pull, of course, but it'd be well fed by gravity once prime was established.

Tork? 07-10-2018 10:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I envision using a simple weld on sump at bottom center of the tank with holes drilled in tank behind it to make a sort of fuel bucket and prevent starvation. They're super cheap on eBay like $25 and have an/npt fittings already on them. Gravity feed that through the existing holes in the cab floor to an inline pump. There's also the bolt on sumps diesel folks use to cure starvation with similar theory. Then use existing sender for the return through the top.

solidaxel 07-20-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tork? (Post 8297783)
I envision using a simple weld on sump at bottom center of the tank with holes drilled in tank behind it to make a sort of fuel bucket and prevent starvation. They're super cheap on eBay like $25 and have an/npt fittings already on them. Gravity feed that through the existing holes in the cab floor to an inline pump. There's also the bolt on sumps diesel folks use to cure starvation with similar theory. Then use existing sender for the return through the top.

Do you have a ebay link for those items?

ls1nova71 07-20-2018 10:44 AM

I added a sump to my tank, and it works really well. The only down side is if you get a leak in a line, it will empty your tank leaving your truck sitting in a pool of gasoline, hoping nobody throws a cigarette it's way, so you need to make sure the lines are good. I made my own on a sheet metal brake, but Ebay does have them for $35. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Fuel-T...ksid=m570.l131

Tork? 07-23-2018 11:54 AM

^^^ You're the only one I've seen do it! Very good pics in the ls1tech thread. Hadn't thought of the potential leakdown issues