The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What Is This Wire?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767041)

CAJ1971 07-07-2018 05:57 PM

What Is This Wire??

1 Attachment(s)
I was converting the alternator to internal and bypassed the external regulator. I have the normal alternator wires and running along with it is this black one but I dont know where it is supposed to go to. The other end is grounded looks like with lights to the core support. But where does this end go? It doesn’t reach the battery. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

Steeveedee 07-07-2018 06:03 PM

Re: What Is This Wire??

I don't know about that wire, but unless I'm seeing a tropical delusion, your fan is on backwards.

bill3rail 07-07-2018 06:08 PM

If the other end is grounded and nothing is working improperly eliminate it!

I have at least three wires hanging loose in my engine bay and have not had the time to trace them out. At 48 years old and running well, I am not too worried.

Bill

dave`12 07-07-2018 06:18 PM

I did this same conversion a few weeks ago. Mine had a ground that went to the external regulator. I just eliminated it. Not sure, if that is what you have there, but mine did have the same loop end that yours had.

x2 on the fan.

CAJ1971 07-07-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8296196)
I don't know about that wire, but unless I'm seeing a tropical delusion, your fan is on backwards.

You know i believe you’re right. The other way it was hitting the alternator and i wasn’t even thinking about spacing it. I just flipped it over. I just put it on there not even thinking. Thanks for catching that.
Posted via Mobile Device

CAJ1971 07-07-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill3rail (Post 8296197)
If the other end is grounded and nothing is working improperly eliminate it!

I have at least three wires hanging loose in my engine bay and have not had the time to trace them out. At 48 years old and running well, I am not too worried.

Bill

I will eventually find out when I get everything working, or everything but the one thing that wire goes to. I’ve been on it almost 3 years and yet to turn it over or try all the electrical since it’s all been work in progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

Steeveedee 07-07-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAJ1971 (Post 8296207)
You know i believe you’re right. The other way it was hitting the alternator and i wasn’t even thinking about spacing it. I just flipped it over. I just put it on there not even thinking. Thanks for catching that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sometimes I see things that are OK, but aren't. It happens when your eyes get old (I'm 65). Yeah, you need a spacer. I can't tell from the pic if you have a shroud, but if you don't just make sure that whatever spacer you use keeps the blades ahead of any of the other business. That should be good enough. You must not be running hot. :lol:

As far as that wire goes, it kind of reminds me of the ground wire for the old trailer brake that my FiL had on what is now my truck, except it looks like a GM style crimp. I've pulled many yards of wire running every which way out of this truck- under the carpet, up in the headliner- that have been run in the past for camper brakes, CB, etc. Some of that stuff was an electrical fire waiting to happen.

NC_John 07-08-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8296196)

Ricky?

Steeveedee 07-08-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_John (Post 8296459)
Ricky?

My name is Steven.

NC_John 07-08-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8296497)
My name is Steven.

Yeah but I thought "tropical delusion" was a trailer park boys reference. Guess it wasn't.

Steeveedee 07-08-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_John (Post 8296574)
Yeah but I thought "tropical delusion" was a trailer park boys reference. Guess it wasn't.

Oh. I've known that term since about '91. Is "trailer park boys" a movie? I don't get out much. :D

VetteVet 07-08-2018 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My guess is that it went to the externally regulated alternator.
Like Steve said if it's just grounded on the other end it doesn't matter.

Attachment 1799624

Would it reach the OEM alternator? like this one?

NC_John 07-08-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8296576)
Oh. I've known that term since about '91. Is "trailer park boys" a movie? I don't get out much. :D

The Trailer Park Boys are the greatest thing to come out of Canada since Rush and Molsons.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xGhDKkaPXDI

Steeveedee 07-08-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC_John (Post 8296594)
The Trailer Park Boys are the greatest thing to come out of Canada since Rush and Molsons.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xGhDKkaPXDI

Never heard of Rush beer. Molson's, yes. /Ricky

CAJ1971 07-08-2018 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteVet (Post 8296591)
My guess is that it went to the externally regulated alternator.
Like Steve said if it's just grounded on the other end it doesn't matter.

Attachment 1799624

Would it reach the OEM alternator? like this one?

You are probably right. It would reach if it were mounted on Drivers’s side. It’s now mounted on passenger side and that wire now reaches to about the radiator neck.

Redneck Rydes 07-08-2018 07:52 PM

Rush is a band, Molsons is a beer, and the Trailer Park Boys are not right,eh, Ricky, Julien, Bubbles,Mr Lahey and Randy.

Steeveedee 07-08-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redneck Rydes (Post 8296846)
Rush is a band, Molsons is a beer, and the Trailer Park Boys are not right,eh, Ricky, Julien, Bubbles,Mr Lahey and Randy.

I was pulling some leg; thus the /Ricky. ;) I have plenty of music by Rush.