The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Is coasting in neutral bad for an auto transmission? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767814)

In The Ten Ring 07-19-2018 06:02 PM

Is coasting in neutral bad for an auto transmission?

My dad used to do this every so often. When we'd come back across the mountain from visiting my grandfather, dad would sometimes shift the automatic transmission into "neutral" and drift with the engine running all the way back home (which was something like two miles).

Sometimes the Pontiac would make it but sometimes a slow poke would get into the way. When that happened dad would drop the shift lever back into "drive" and continue home.

I just want to mention, he wasn't using the transmission to restart the car.

So is coasting in "neutral" off a hill then dropping back into "drive" bad for an auto transmission?

GOPAPA 07-19-2018 06:07 PM

Re: Is coasting in neutral bad for an auto transmission?

I am not sure why ,,but I was told by a older guy at work that it is harder on a automatic Transmission to take it out of gear at a stop light and then put it back in when the light turns green ,,rather than just leave it in gear .. been years when I heard this ,glad you brought it up ,,maybe we both will get our answer..

Troy Sr 07-19-2018 06:11 PM

I wouldn't think so unless you shut off the engine which would stop fluid pumping through the transmission. That's why you shouldn't tow a vehicle with an automatic very far with the drive wheels on the ground. I believe there are a few cars out there with fluid pumps on the output end of the transmission which would be ok.

richard2717 07-19-2018 07:40 PM

Just don't do like my cousin did, trying to save gas and went to put it in neutral at 50mph and went one too far into reverse. Made lots of noise but I guess he got it back down before it damaged anything,

Steeveedee 07-19-2018 07:56 PM

If it is running, no. AFAIK, the last transmission with a rear pump was the Powerglide, and I think the rear pump was deleted in about '68.

Putting an automatic transmission in neutral at a light and then dropping it into gear will hurt the trans about as much as putting it in Drive when you go to drive away in the morning, i.e., not at all...unless you are into "neutral dumps".

jeffahart 07-19-2018 09:00 PM

You can get a ticket for coasting downhill in neutral. It you're a commercial driver and you get into a wreck and they find you were in neutral, I think you would be in a bit of a jam. :chevy:

j

In The Ten Ring 07-19-2018 10:20 PM

Yikes. Note to self "shift back into drive upon collision." :lol:

special-K 07-20-2018 08:17 AM

That's just for heavy trucks. Makes sense since brakes alone don't stop a freewheeling truck so well. That's why truckers are told to descend in lower gear, stop check brakes before descending, and most run engine brakes. Rolling free down a hill in a heavy truck is dumb truckin'. Really no good reason to unless you have a mechanical failure and need to drift off the road to a safe place.

Jack Benny didn't have an automatic in his car, but that cheap skate would coast his car (rather Rochester did) down hills to save on gas (on his tv show).

Another celebrity coasting downhill... and not supposed to hit the brakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uO1gXmMkKY

GOPAPA 07-20-2018 04:05 PM

Jack Benny says ::Put the automatic transmission into ‘Neutral’ when you’re stationary…

When stopped at traffic lights, if your vehicle has an automatic transmission, putting it into ‘Neutral’ will take the pressure off it until the traffic lights turn green, when you can put it back into ‘Drive’. When the automatic transmission is in ‘Drive’, it’s still driving the wheels even if you have your foot on the brake to keep the vehicle stationary at traffic lights, for example. If you were to take your foot off the brake, the vehicle would drive forward under power without you even pushing the accelerator since the engine is running at idle speed and is therefore driving the automatic transmission.

after thinking a bit,, maybe Jack Benny did not say this.. kiddin ya Tim

special-K 07-20-2018 05:09 PM

When I sit in traffic and it's hot I put it in park. Putting in neutral does the same thing, allows the idle to come up due to taking load off trans which is better for the vehicle than sitting in gear. It will stay cooler and that is good.

68C15 07-20-2018 10:08 PM

Late model cars/trucks you gain nothing by taking it out of gear at a stop. The trans line pressure is allowed to drop and the converter slips until you step on it.

Your Accord should be fine, just avoid manual downshifting too much. That carrier bearing won't like it.

jjzepplin 07-21-2018 06:51 AM

Sitting in gear and not moving with an automatic is like Sitting in 1st gear with the clutch partially engaged with a manual trans. I always wait til I am at the stop light and then go into neutral. The engine rpms go up a bit and my AC fans move a little faster and 1st gear is not slowly burning clutches. You got to watch that light though cuz slamming into gear and accelerating can be catastrophic.

WorkinLonghorn 07-21-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8304970)
That's just for heavy trucks. Makes sense since brakes alone don't stop a freewheeling truck so well. That's why truckers are told to descend in lower gear, stop check brakes before descending, and most run engine brakes. Rolling free down a hill in a heavy truck is dumb truckin'. Really no good reason to unless you have a mechanical failure and need to drift off the road to a safe place.

Jack Benny didn't have an automatic in his car, but that cheap skate would coast his car (rather Rochester did) down hills to save on gas (on his tv show).

Another celebrity coasting downhill... and not supposed to hit the brakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uO1gXmMkKY

The first ticket I got as a kid on my first vehicle, a motorcycle, was for "coasting out of gear" down Strawberry Canyon in Berkeley, California.
The judge just laughed as I recall. -BA

WorkinLonghorn 07-21-2018 09:02 AM

If you are going 60 down a hill in neutral and shift into drive, I'm sure that there will be wear and heat created. Nothing to worry too much about but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis but the coasting shouldn't hurt anything. -BA

GASoline71 07-21-2018 10:19 AM

"Georgia Overdrive" ;)

Gary

Hubscrub 07-23-2018 07:30 PM

My dad was an auto tech for 40+ years and he did it alot we had a big hill going into town we could coast couple miles to the red light to turn on the highway. He would say this car has some good bearings lol:lol: so saying he wouldn't have done it if it would hurt it for sure. I did the other day going down Monteagle mountain headed to Chattanooga we had some good bearings haha!:smoke::crazy:

GOPAPA 07-24-2018 12:26 PM

Would it be safe to say then guys and gals ,, ,,, ::::::: If you are towing a automatic transmission car or truck ,,,and all the wheels are on the ground ,, BE SURE AND LEAVE THE MOTOR RUNNING ,, ha ha ..

Ol Blue K20 07-24-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8307790)
Would it be safe to say then guys and gals ,, ,,, ::::::: If you are towing a automatic transmission car or truck ,,,and all the wheels are on the ground ,, BE SURE AND LEAVE THE MOTOR RUNNING ,, ha ha ..

:lol::lol:

kingsolver72 07-24-2018 09:55 PM

My grandpa had a Rolls Kanardly. I don’t know if it was an automatic but it would roll down one hill and kanardly make it up the next.

special-K 07-25-2018 10:00 AM

I had one like that but it wasn't a Rolls!

Palf70Step 07-25-2018 11:39 AM

I prefer to have power to the wheels at all times. I like acceleration down hill too. :D

special-K 07-25-2018 12:16 PM

It is definitely bad to coast in neutral if when going back into gear you move the shifter the wrong way....................... OUCHEEEeeee!!!