The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Lift Help for 4x4 GMC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773047)

SangerV 10-11-2018 12:41 PM

Lift Help for 4x4 GMC

Hey all I'm new at this and need some advise on correcting a mess. Previous owner lifted the front end by separating the shackle frame mount from the hanger and inserting (welding) 4" rectangular tube in between to install a brush bumper. I want to restore to original configuration with oem bumper. I have a new shackle and hanger and want to lift by the same amount with a block between springs and axle. Question is how tall a block to achieve the same lift ? 4" ? Thanks

jeffahart 10-11-2018 01:52 PM

Re: Lift Help for 4x4 GMC

Quote:

Originally Posted by SangerV (Post 8361839)
Hey all I'm new at this and need some advise on correcting a mess. Previous owner lifted the front end by separating the shackle frame mount from the hanger and inserting (welding) 4" rectangular tube in between to install a brush bumper. I want to restore to original configuration with oem bumper. I have a new shackle and hanger and want to lift by the same amount with a block between springs and axle. Question is how tall a block to achieve the same lift ? 4" ? Thanks

Do not use blocks for lift in the front end. Get springs. Where did you get new shackle hangers for the front? Anyhow, you can use lift blocks in the rear but not the front. It is dangerous and unsafe. You can use a 1" zero rate because it acts like a spring in the pack, other than that, no blocks in the front.

Please post some pics of our current setup. :chevy:

j

sweetk30 10-11-2018 03:13 PM

x2 NO BLOCKS IN FRONT

x2 on post pics so we can help you much faster and better than guessing .

SangerV 10-11-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8361962)
x2 NO BLOCKS IN FRONT
x2 on post pics so we can help you much faster and better than guessing .

will do

SangerV 10-11-2018 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8361888)
Do not use blocks for lift in the front end. Get springs. Where did you get new shackle hangers for the front? Anyhow, you can use lift blocks in the rear but not the front. It is dangerous and unsafe. You can use a 1" zero rate because it acts like a spring in the pack, other than that, no blocks in the front. Please post some pics of our current setup. :chevy: j

I found some original shackles & hangers here. The height it is lifted is about correct and I want to keep the lift the same.
Pictures:

https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/0/...08054006_o.jpg
https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/0/...08054012_o.jpg
https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/0/...08054025_o.jpg
https://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/7/0/...08053999_o.jpg

jeffahart 10-11-2018 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very interesting, How does it ride? Just curious. Anyhow, if you want to go back to an OE bumper you need the rest of the frame horn. Here's a picture of the front of my frame horns, you can probably find a better picture out there, this is one I have on file.

I've seen some funky stuff, that just might be a case of... ugly works!

Anyhow, cut grind get stuff cleaned up for your new shackle mounts and get the frame horn tips. And get the proper lift springs. :chevy:

j

Horn tips

Attachment 1828653

SangerV 10-11-2018 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=jeffahart;8362093]Very interesting, How does it ride? Just curious. Anyhow, if you want to go back to an OE bumper you need the rest of the frame horn. Here's a picture of the front of my frame horns, you can probably find a better picture out there, this is one I have on file.
Anyhow, cut grind get stuff cleaned up for your new shackle mounts and get the frame horn tips. And get the proper lift springs. :chevy:
j

Thanks for the advise. The ride is surprisingly good.
How do I know what spring will produce the correct (same) lift ?
Are horn tips readily available either oem or aftermarket ?

jeffahart 10-11-2018 07:07 PM

[quote=SangerV;8362111]
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8362093)
Very interesting, How does it ride? Just curious. Anyhow, if you want to go back to an OE bumper you need the rest of the frame horn. Here's a picture of the front of my frame horns, you can probably find a better picture out there, this is one I have on file.
j

Thanks for the advise. The ride is surprisingly good.
How do I know what spring will produce the correct (same) lift ?
Are horn tips readily available either oem or aftermarket ?

As far as lift, nothing is exact from system to system. When you get a 4" lift kit with rear blocks, the front sits higher than the rear. You would really need to measure to the frame and get a stock profile measurement. But, if you have 4" blocks in the rear you could get 4" springs and a 1" zero rate leaf/block for the rear to level it off. If what you have is more like 3" in the front then you might not be happy with the extra inch. In short, I don't know what would give you exact same height you have now. I think you are assuming 4".

For the horns, you need to whack them off another frame. The bumper mounts snug to that horn and has braces from the ends of the bumper going to the frame. You need to finesse the horns on there so the bumper fits nice. :chevy:

j

j

SangerV 10-11-2018 07:35 PM

[quote=jeffahart;8362119]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SangerV (Post 8362111)

As far as lift, nothing is exact from system to system. When you get a 4" lift kit with rear blocks, the front sits higher than the rear. You would really need to measure to the frame and get a stock profile measurement. But, if you have 4" blocks in the rear you could get 4" springs and a 1" zero rate leaf/block for the rear to level it off. If what you have is more like 3" in the front then you might not be happy with the extra inch. In short, I don't know what would give you exact same height you have now. I think you are assuming 4".

For the horns, you need to whack them off another frame. The bumper mounts snug to that horn and has braces from the ends of the bumper going to the frame. You need to finesse the horns on there so the bumper fits nice. :chevy:

j

j

Thanks J

sweetk30 10-11-2018 09:17 PM

and to possibly correct your wording .

the front is just the eye of the spring hanger . the shackle is in the rear under the cab . just ahead of the cab mount .

do you have any pics of that area ? i think with the front all goofed up what might they have done back there .

best to measure center of fender wheel opening now to ground . perform the rework and then re measure and order a set of springs for that amount of difference .

it ride good cause there stock no lift springs by the looks of it .

2 good brand of lift spring for off the shelf is tuff country = good bang for the buck and great ride . then BDS = premium spring and top shelf stuff . most guys are super happy with just tuff country .

now ruff country are stiff and lots of guys complain about the ride . i have removed there springs for people and swapped in tuff country .

SangerV 10-11-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8362244)
and to possibly correct your wording .

the front is just the eye of the spring hanger . the shackle is in the rear under the cab . just ahead of the cab mount .

do you have any pics of that area ? i think with the front all goofed up what might they have done back there .

best to measure center of fender wheel opening now to ground . perform the rework and then re measure and order a set of springs for that amount of difference .

it ride good cause there stock no lift springs by the looks of it .

2 good brand of lift spring for off the shelf is tuff country = good bang for the buck and great ride . then BDS = premium spring and top shelf stuff . most guys are super happy with just tuff country .

now ruff country are stiff and lots of guys complain about the ride . i have removed there springs for people and swapped in tuff country .

Thanks for the info. Please let me know if you run across frame horns. I will check out BDS

SangerV 10-11-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8362244)
i think with the front all goofed up what might they have done back there.

The back of spring looks to be factory

sweetk30 10-11-2018 09:46 PM

i dont know if 73-80 frame horns are the same shape / style but i have some on hand .

and also check out tuff country . get a feel of both brands bds and tuff country .

my trucks except 1 have tuff country for reg use . the other has bds but its a special big built truck and i wanted the best tall ride of leaf springs so thats why i did bds on that one .

GSP7 10-12-2018 12:00 AM

What is that other stuff you have mounted in between your frame rails?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...3&d=1539296091

sweetk30 10-12-2018 09:55 AM

thats a winch stuffed in there and the cable would normally come out the lic plate area you cut out for it to pass threw .

jeffahart 10-12-2018 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSP7 (Post 8362419)
What is that other stuff you have mounted in between your frame rails?

Yes Winch, sits behind stock bumper.

j

Attachment 1828933

CRUSH2.0 10-13-2018 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=jeffahart;8362840]Yes Winch, sits behind
That’s cool, who does that stuff?
Posted via Mobile Device

GSP7 10-14-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8362750)
thats a winch stuffed in there and the cable would normally come out the lic plate area you cut out for it to pass threw .

Oh duh,,, I didnt even think about a winch :D

dozerbill72 10-14-2018 07:29 PM

As a rule of thumb for ever 1 inch you lift one end of the spring it will get you about 1/2 inch of over all lift. Looking at your pictures assuming the rear of the spring " shackle end" hasn't been altered I would say you have around 2" of lift. As others have stated do NOT use blocks in the front. If lift springs are not in the budget you could build your own spring pack using a mix of your front main leaf and some rears to get a 2" or so lift. It will not ride as smooth as it does now but will get started on the right track to correcting some of the previous modifications. FYI member Doo142 is up there in your neck of the woods and can more than likely hook you up on some frame horns. To help in your search 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive frame have the same shape of horns, the 4x4 will just have a few different holes in them.

sweetk30 10-14-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozerbill72 (Post 8364446)
If lift springs are not in the budget you could build your own spring pack using a mix of your front main leaf and some rears to get a 2" or so lift. It will not ride as smooth as it does now but will get started on the right track to correcting some of the previous modifications..

if you have factory tappered leafs for a spring pack dont mix in reg style leafs . its just not the best way to do it . they both work different ways . ya guys do it but not the best .

SangerV 10-15-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozerbill72 (Post 8364446)
As a rule of thumb for ever 1 inch you lift one end of the spring it will get you about 1/2 inch of over all lift. Looking at your pictures assuming the rear of the spring " shackle end" hasn't been altered I would say you have around 2" of lift. As others have stated do NOT use blocks in the front. If lift springs are not in the budget you could build your own spring pack using a mix of your front main leaf and some rears to get a 2" or so lift. It will not ride as smooth as it does now but will get started on the right track to correcting some of the previous modifications. FYI member Doo142 is up there in your neck of the woods and can more than likely hook you up on some frame horns. To help in your search 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive frame have the same shape of horns, the 4x4 will just have a few different holes in them.

Thanks for taking the time to post your advise/input.

special-K 10-16-2018 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What you have there is really not a bad idea. Ford thought it was a "Better Idea" when it was building the F250 'Highboys'. It's better than the forbidden blocks, but anything is for that matter. It's better than even soft(er) riding lift springs because the stock ride was retained... and back when whoever did it they saved the cost of lift springs. It's better than a body lift because it lifts the frame, not just the body. It's something that is done on far more modified trucks than most street trucks you see. It's the type of thing I did to mount 2.5t Rockwells under a GMC C1500 mud bogger I built with my brother-in-law we ran 44s on.

If you want your GMC to sit like this and have a factory bumper...

Attachment 1830092

... I have a simple solution. Let's trade! :cool: I love your truck!!! (Love mine, too) :gmc2:

68panelman 10-16-2018 10:01 AM

I too would leave it be, it looks pretty substantial. Unless you are going back to a factory show truck, leave it alone. You said that the ride was good, leave it alone. Put on a custom HD bumper and enjoy that beautiful truck.
Are those 19.5's or 17.5" wheels? , More info and pics of your rig please :)

sweetk30 10-16-2018 10:33 AM

the orignal poster has not posted pics of the shackle end .

if this was only lowered on the front end and no other correction made as in lowered & or longer shackles or angled wedges under the springs to axle then i bet the caster is way off .

this could be a little bit good and a lot bad .

so yes it does look strong but if the rest of it was not addressed during this mod then there is prob a few other problems that need fixed to be 100%

SangerV 10-16-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8365479)
What you have there is really not a bad idea. Ford thought it was a "Better Idea" when it was building the F250 'Highboys'. It's better than the forbidden blocks, but anything is for that matter. It's better than even soft(er) riding lift springs because the stock ride was retained... and back when whoever did it they saved the cost of lift springs. It's better than a body lift because it lifts the frame, not just the body. It's something that is done on far more modified trucks than most street trucks you see. It's the type of thing I did to mount 2.5t Rockwells under a GMC C1500 mud bogger I built with my brother-in-law we ran 44s on.

If you want your GMC to sit like this and have a factory bumper...

Attachment 1830092

... I have a simple solution. Let's trade! :cool: I love your truck!!! (Love mine, too) :gmc2:

You have a great truck ! Im kinda partial to the 67's but not sure the direction for this truck yet. This fall will I know more. Might let it go as I bought a nice 68