The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1969 Chevy C-10 lights mystery (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773563)

MMiller1050 10-18-2018 09:50 PM

1969 Chevy C-10 lights mystery

I had a bad headlight switch. So I bought a new one and the only lights that will work are the headlights. I can use a wire and pinout all the connectors and all the lights work....Headlights - parking lights and dash lights. But, when I plug the switch in with the headlight knob only the headlights work. I am on my second new switch and they both do the same things. I am at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas?

HO455 10-18-2018 09:59 PM

Re: 1969 Chevy C-10 lights mystery

I would disassemble the connector plug and inspect all of the spade terminals.

Moose Monkey 10-18-2018 10:01 PM

Check the fuse first

MMiller1050 10-18-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8367366)
I would disassemble the connector plug and inspect all of the spade terminals.

Thanks HO455 I will try that. Seems that maybe the blades connections in the switch are maybe not touching except on the headlight terminal. Don't think it would be a fuse since all lights work when using a wire. It just seems strange that two switches are doing this exact same thing.

Stocker 10-18-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMiller1050 (Post 8367394)
Thanks HO455 I will try that. Seems that maybe the blades connections in the switch are maybe not touching except on the headlight terminal. Don't think it would be a fuse since all lights work when using a wire. It just seems strange that two switches are doing this exact same thing.

I don't think the switches are the problem. Like HO455 posted and like you stated above, it's a bad connector and the pin for the headlamps is the only good connection.

MMiller1050 10-18-2018 11:19 PM

Well...now I am really at a loss. Took all the wire connectors out of the plastic connector plug that goes to the headlight switch....actually slid them ON the metal tabs on the headlight switch and still only the headlights come on. If I substitute the dash lights wire on the tab that is for the headlights...they work. Actually anything I plug onto that position works. But not when they are plugged into their correct position on the switch. I get right at 12 volts on the red wire which is correct. Maybe there is a grounding problem somewhere...I just don't know.

VetteVet 10-19-2018 12:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Most of the guys think that the red wire on the headlight switch is the power wire for the tail lights and parking lights. Actually it only powers the blue wire which goes to the dimmer switch.
The orange wire is the power wire for the tail and dash lights and it should have full time power as long as the battery is connected. This is so the tail lights and brake lights can work without the key on and still not have to turn the headlights on.
The orange wire is powered at the fuse box by a separate red wire in the four way junction in the cab. This red wire goes into the back of the fuse panel and powers the orange wire and the hazard flasher.

Attachment 1830797

Notice the orange wires in the fuse panel, lower right, They feed the stoplights the dome lights and the headlight switch, next diagram.

Attachment 1830798

The orange wire going to the headlight switch is on the lower right. It must have power for the tail lights to work. Check the stop tail fuse in the fuse panel. If it is not blown then there is a wire broken. You can narrow it down if the stop lights don't work or the dome light or the flashers. \

The orange wire goes to the headlight switch and when the switch is pulled the orange wire connects with the brown wire which runs to the parking lights.

It also connects to the green wire which goes to the dimmer rheostat in the headlight switch and then to the fuse panel to the gray wire for the dash lights.

Attachment 1830800

MMiller1050 10-19-2018 01:16 PM

Thanks VetteVet...I will for sure go out and meter all this and find out if this is my issue. Great info.....as always.

Mike

Stocker 10-19-2018 01:19 PM

VetteVet, sure glad to see you show up here, I have run out of ideas. I especially like that last pic, have not seen that one before.

El Dorado Jim 10-20-2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8367674)
VetteVet, sure glad to see you show up here, I have run out of ideas. I especially like that last pic, have not seen that one before.

Yep, its nice when the Guru shows up!

MMiller1050 10-22-2018 08:01 PM

Thank You VetteVet.....your information was right on. I cleaned the fuse terminal and replaced the fuse for the orange wire and all works now. Thanks for the pics. Just a question....were do you find information like this? I have the service manual on CD and I could not find anything that told me about the orange wire needing to be hot with 12v. I certainly will put this one in my notes and will pass it on to anyone who needs this info int he future also.

VetteVet 10-23-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMiller1050 (Post 8369735)
Thank You VetteVet.....your information was right on. I cleaned the fuse terminal and replaced the fuse for the orange wire and all works now. Thanks for the pics. Just a question....were do you find information like this? I have the service manual on CD and I could not find anything that told me about the orange wire needing to be hot with 12v. I certainly will put this one in my notes and will pass it on to anyone who needs this info int he future also.

Thanks for the accolades fellows, it keeps me interested in helping people.

I have been doing this for a long time I guess that's why I have a knack for it.