The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Patina paint jobs (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=784248)

Baker72chevy 03-30-2019 10:01 PM

Patina paint jobs

Anyone have any ideals

67_C-30 03-30-2019 10:42 PM

Re: Patina paint jobs

Everybody kinda has a different stance on the patina thing. I personally I am not a huge fan of making new paint look old, unless its a repair to an already old paint job or to blending for replaced panels, etc. I am a huge fan of a faded, weathered, and even rusty (not Minnesota fender falling off rusty) truck. I also have no problem with well done shop truck logos. Those trucks earned their wear and battle scars. In a perfect world, they would be magically restored to like new (or better) standards, but I do appreciate a patina truck.

What do you have/have in mind?

RTHarvey 03-30-2019 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
IMO (only opinion) I would recommend not spending any money on a "Patina Paint Job"--because--the idea that "patina" (meaning old and worn looking) is cool, is probably a passing fad. My truck looks old and worn (kind of like me) and I am OK with that, and it is nice that since it is in style no one says mean things about it. But it would be a shame to spend kind of serious money on a patina looking paint job, and then have it go out of style in a couple of years. If I were to spend paint-job money, it would be to go back to near-factory--stock is always in style. But that's just me. If a vehicle is already worn, and the owner likes the look, it might be a good idea to spray over the surface rust with a satin clear, for purposes of rust control.

3757chevy 03-30-2019 11:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm liking my Blazer to a point . I still worry when i drive it just 'Cause and it would 'probly be worse of a worry if I had it painted . I think I would like to just blend in the rust repair it needs and not even clear it . I know I would not spend what it costs for a normal paint job for a fake patina paint job. ... And besides nature is the only way to get the perfect patina.

67_C-30 03-30-2019 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTHarvey (Post 8497936)
IMO (only opinion) I would recommend not spending any money on a "Patina Paint Job"--because--the idea that "patina" (meaning old and worn looking) is cool, is probably a passing fad. My truck looks old and worn (kind of like me) and I am OK with that, and it is nice that since it is in style no one says mean things about it. But it would be a shame to spend kind of serious money on a patina looking paint job, and then have it go out of style in a couple of years. If I were to spend paint-job money, it would be to go back to near-factory--stock is always in style. But that's just me. If a vehicle is already worn, and the owner likes the look, it might be a good idea to spray over the surface rust with a satin clear, for purposes of rust control.

It may go out of style, but we were on this board 10+ years ago having that same discussion, and it's still going strong. I feel like the ever-rising cost of paint jobs (and paint job nightmares) is going to keep the patina in business a long time!

I do agree with the sentiment that if I'm going to spend money for paint, I'm either going to go satin if its gotta be on the cheap or I'd go all out shiny. I personally wouldn't paint a vehicle and then start sanding the paint off, airbrushing, and all the other fake patina tricks that I've seen people do, unless it was a repair on a naturally patina'd one.

67_C-30 03-30-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8497945)
I'm liking my Blazer to a point . I still worry when i drive it just 'Cause and it would 'probly be worse of a worry if I had it painted . I think I would like to just blend in the rust repair it needs and not even clear it . I know I would not spend what it costs for a normal paint job for a fake patina paint job. ... And besides nature is the only way to get the perfect patina.

Exactly. In the case of your Blazer (I love that thing BTW!) , I'd want to repair the rust through below the molding, and either paint that white or go have the faded blue matched and sprayed with a semi-gloss single paint and put the paint line behind the molding and let it ride.

3757chevy 03-30-2019 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67_C-30 (Post 8497948)
Exactly. In the case of your Blazer (I love that thing BTW!) , I'd want to repair the rust through below the molding, and either paint that white or go have the faded blue matched and sprayed with a semi-gloss single paint and put the paint line behind the molding and let it ride.

Funny you say that. My thoughts exactly. I even went into the paint program and tried to envision just that.

67_C-30 03-31-2019 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8497951)
Funny you say that. My thoughts exactly. I even went into the paint program and tried to envision just that.

I hear ya! Been there, done that! :lol: I this was Paint/Photochop of a '70 I used to have!

Astro-Balls 03-31-2019 12:18 AM

I get thumbs up everytime I take my unrestored Patina paint on the road..

special-K 03-31-2019 06:35 AM

There is patina and everything else is a paint job, solid shiny from flat to deep toned pearl to fake patina. Real patina will never go out of style now that it has picked up on as a style. Back before that, about no one got it. First comment would always be "When ya gonna paint it" or "That thing needs paint". I've always done trucks (except restorations) mechanical first, then see about getting shiny, and loved the ones that never got there just as much as those that never did. A smooth running machine is a smooth running machine no matter what it looks like... unless there's a bunch of crapped out sheet metal flappin' and vibratin' :lol:

Baker72chevy 04-08-2019 05:21 PM

There no paint on the truck now just light gray primer

67_C-30 04-08-2019 05:41 PM

Yeah, that’s the old “whatchu tryin’a hide??” Paint job :)! If shiny paint isn’t in the budget, satin colors bridge the gap between original patina and first class paint jobs, IMO. Satin colors will freshen up the overall appearance but the bodywork does behave to be on the level of one done with super slick paint to still look OK.

rjs53 04-09-2019 08:12 AM

I just did a fake patina on my truck. Actually I did it twice cause I over did the patina the first time and it looked fake. After spending hours replacing sheet metal and sanding I thought really your just gonna mess it up with crappy paint. I wouldn't pay someone to do patina paint. When I get tired of it, i'll sand it down and do something else. The truck had 3 other paint jobs in its life so this ain't the first. Eventually I'd like a nice two tone paint, but for now its the trying to make it look old look.

special-K 04-09-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baker72chevy (Post 8503039)
There no paint on the truck now just light gray primer

The thing to do is let that primer surface rust a bit, or sand it off where you want it to surface rust to speed things up. Then put the grey primer on and paint with cheap non-automotive grade enamel. It will dull, oxidize, and surface rust all on it's own and be a real patina paint job

Coley 04-09-2019 10:13 AM

I agree that the high cost of paint and bodywork is going to keep the 'patina' look in style for a while yet.
In my opinion, there is a difference tho' to a patina'd look and simply really bad, missing or rusty paint...and its best not to confuse the two.

If I had a truck that was solid and with what appeared to be a nice residual, patina paint....I would clear coat it for the time being to at least make it look bright, again tho'...that's me.

Also remember, patina is one thing.....rusted out is something else, lol.;)

All good
Coley:chevy:

The1960APE 04-09-2019 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my junk! :)

The1960APE 04-09-2019 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And Again!

HO455 04-09-2019 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the patina thing has "Jumped the Shark". Since now you can get a patina wrap for your new Porsche.

Ozark Tim 04-09-2019 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cant see real patina going out of style because as already mentioned it is a what you see is what you get scenario where repainted vehicles there is always the suspicion of what is under the paint
fabricated patina I could see going away but some of those are done really well and anything done well seems to stay in style
My latest 72 with 61k miles from out in Utah

67_C-30 04-09-2019 04:22 PM

I think people fauxtina wrapping high dollar sports cars, pro mods, etc is proof that the look isn’t going anywhere soon myself. I think a lot of boils down to being different. I mean how many more red ‘57 Chevys or ‘69 Camaros do people really want to see?

The1960APE 04-09-2019 06:09 PM

I love true patina ... so many people think we made mine look like that, we threw clear over what we found in the corn field

72c20customcamper 04-09-2019 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not much for man made patina. This is my opinion but I dont care for clear coating old paint it hids the natural luster or lack there of. Basically only way to get patina is..... to let it get fd up by nature.

67_C-30 04-09-2019 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8503776)
Not much for man made patina. This is my opinion but I dont care for clear coating old paint it hids the natural luster or lack there of. Basically only way to get patina is..... to let it get fd up by nature.

Totally agree. Clear makes the surface rust look dark and worse and making faded paint shiny totally misses the point, IMO.

72c20customcamper 04-09-2019 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bed in my 72. I spray it down every once and a while with used trans fluid

special-K 04-10-2019 07:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
See these chairs? I had a guy sandblast and prime all my old metal lawn furniture years ago. He sandblasted Friday, it rained all weekend, and primed on Monday. He uses good epoxy primer and it all looked great. I spray painted everything with various Rustoleum and Krylon colors. The DTM primer had a semi-gloss to it and I scuffed it some, but it turns out not enough. In a couple years of sun the paint faded and got chalky looking, some spots showed primer, and others some surface rust. Totally natural and real patina, not fake.