The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Passenger Side Frame Rail Question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=785721)

Peanut74 04-26-2019 09:01 AM

Passenger Side Frame Rail Question

I have question about the right hand frame rail on my '67 C10. On the top of the frame rail just in front of the front C member there is a bump in the rail. I thought this bump might have been caused by someone straitening the frame as the front stubs shows signs of an accident. But I looked at a picture of frame for sale and it had the same bump in the rail.

The question is do all '67-72 frames have this bump in the RH frame rail?

Redneck Rydes 04-26-2019 10:10 AM

Re: Passenger Side Frame Rail Question

I beleive the bump you are talking about would be for fuel pump clearance, all the frames had this.

Peanut74 04-26-2019 12:24 PM

That would make sense. The guy at the frame shop said it was from where they pulled on the frame to straighten it from a previous wreck. The front stubs still don't look right so I want to replace the frame. Since the frame I am looking at to replace it has the same bump your explanation makes more sense. Thanks.

57taskforce 04-26-2019 04:14 PM

Pictures will probably help us know what’s going on...

'68OrangeSunshine 04-26-2019 06:39 PM

Nope. The ''bump'' is normal. Your frame shop guy doesn't know what he's talking about, and is trying to scare you into some expensive and unneccessary straightening. Look for a new shop.

hjewell2 04-26-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 8514370)
Nope. The ''bump'' is normal. Your frame shop guy doesn't know what he's talking about, and is trying to scare you into some expensive and unneccessary straightening. Look for a new shop.

Most body shop employees now days are trained for the new process of work and has not a clue about metal from the 60's on up to the mid 80's . have to remember we have t shirts older than most mechanics and body shop employees, we are a dying breed sad to say.

'68OrangeSunshine 04-26-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hjewell2 (Post 8514374)
Most body shop employees now days are trained for the new process of work and has not a clue about metal from the 60's on up to the mid 80's . have to remember we have t shirts older than most mechanics and body shop employees, we are a dying breed sad to say.

IKR. True about the T-shirts. I took my '68 C/10 Stepside to a brake shop a couple weeks ago. When the truck was done, the mech pulled up to the door on the customer side, and as he got out, told me, "I couldn't find the Parking Brake Pedal, so I left it in 2nd." "OK'', I said, then got in the cab. To my horror, the Parking Brake Lever was still set! So these kids had dragged my rig all thru their process with the brakes on. I talked to the manager and said if his kids didn't understand the controls they should come ask me. '67-'68s have a Lever for the parking brake, not a pedal with a pull release, like on my '71. I have since paid more attention to educating the people who work on my trucks.

If you go down the list of substances formerly used in the automotive trade, you might get a clue as to why our ranks are thinning. Lead [TEL], asbestos, MethylEthylKetone [MEK], Zinc chromate primer, hexavalent chromium used to work so well in those cans of carb dip. Haven't seen that stuff for a while.

I guess we're too ornery to kill.

Peanut74 04-27-2019 10:43 AM

Well I had some good news and bad news yesterday. Good news is the bump is to clear the mechanical fuel pump. Met a guy who had a C10 and he showed me it. Bad news is I did some measuring on my frame and confirmed it is bent. So now the search is on for a replacement frame.