The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Holland Michigan Mechanic and Inspector (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794349)

Fogtboat 10-02-2019 06:45 PM

Holland Michigan Mechanic and Inspector

Trying to buy a 69' Blazer in Holland, MI from another state. Want to pay mechanic and/or Blazer expert (local fanatic encouraged) to inspect and test drive before I buy and ship. Referrals much appreciated!

jaros44sr 10-02-2019 07:58 PM

Re: Holland Michigan Mechanic and Inspector

check numbers on title and vin numbers on truck, see what is required in your state to register. California has some weird requirements, so check with DMV

Welcome aboard

simicrintz 10-02-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 8603048)
California has some weird requirements

That, sir, is the understatement of the century, and on many fronts......!!

Martyt 10-03-2019 09:52 AM

Matt, forgot to mention the emissions label issue when we talked. There is a good active discussion on the Blazer forum now. I will call you later to discuss. Martin

jaros44sr 10-03-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogtboat (Post 8603016)
Trying to buy a 69' Blazer in Holland, MI from another state. Want to pay mechanic and/or Blazer expert (local fanatic encouraged) to inspect and test drive before I buy and ship. Referrals much appreciated!

Your lucky big forums base in that area

Killer Bee 10-03-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyt (Post 8603271)
Matt, forgot to mention the emissions label issue when we talked. There is a good active discussion on the Blazer forum now. I will call you later to discuss. Martin

yep, and the new form updated last year is more specific in that area..

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...orms/reg/reg31

see section 9 for emissions '68 and up and section 6 for FMVSS requirements '70 and up

depending who you know, this may be very difficult if missing when you have to go through a CHP station.. besides the 2-3 month backlog for appointments..

good luck!

simicrintz 10-03-2019 07:31 PM

Brought my '71 in from Montana last Thanksgiving. Went to AAA and was out in about half an hour (older lady was pretty sharp and asked a lot of questions, but all in all it was pretty easy). Not sure if I missed a deadline on the req's but this may be an option worth looking into. Don't know if I have the label or not (will have to go look later).
Good luck!

Martyt 10-03-2019 10:46 PM

My AAA guy who was inspecting my out of state CO vehicle--I swear we were outside for at least 20 minutes--him checking and double checking my VINs and double and triple checking the emissions sticker. I'm thinking great, I got the most fastidious guy who ever worked for AAA checking my rig out--I would have killed for the don't care DMV folks. Anyway, it all worked out but geez, I'm registering an old Jimmy not a nuclear sub.

simicrintz 10-04-2019 10:14 AM

I think the gal I got thought it was a pretty cool rig and remembered them, so she spent extra time. She knew her stuff and did have a lot of questions, but I just told her it was an old rig, I just got it, and that I did not know a whole lot about it. It is kinda ridiculous how much poking around they do and what they expect to find after nearly 50 years!

DeadheadNM 10-04-2019 01:08 PM

Clarify this for me. In CA do you need any emissions decal (i.e. non-CA emissions) or the CA specific emissions decal? It wouldn't take much effort to procure and place a non-CA emissions reproduction decal on a truck to be registered but the CA specific examples aren't available.

Martyt 10-05-2019 01:04 AM

Pete, am pretty sure you just need the fed decal and I agree regarding a reproduction. Matt, the OP (is a fellow partner in my firm) is passing on the MI Blazer so just wanted to pass that on.

parb 10-05-2019 05:55 PM

wow, that is pretty stiff. I'm about to register my jimmy from nevada to california and i did not realize how much effort there is in doing that.