The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Plug Wire Lengths (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=795038)

eric8 10-16-2019 02:40 PM

Plug Wire Lengths

1 Attachment(s)
This might be a dumb question, but I ordered a new set of exact fit Denso plug wires for my 77 (350 with HEI distributor). As you can see, the lengths are all over the place. One wire is extra long, 3 are long, 1 kind of medium sized, and 3 are short. Is there a specific cylinder these are assigned to, or is just a "wing it" or trial and error kind of deal?

sweetk30 10-16-2019 03:10 PM

Re: Plug Wire Lengths

i tend to do cut to fit and crimp them my self anymore .

it seems every few years DIRECT fit wire sets grow a few inches . . . there almost always to dam long .

Dead Parrot 10-16-2019 06:02 PM

I usually start with the shortest wire and find the best fit. Repeat until you have all 8 done. Last couple usually wind up being a little long. Better a couple inches too long then a couple inches too short. Yes, 'wing it and trial and error'.

eric8 10-16-2019 10:52 PM

Well for what it's worth, I did some digging and found a post on another site that said for a sbc, the plug wire lengths generally go in the following order (from longest wire to shortest wire): cylinder #'s 3,2,1,4,5,7,6,8

I used this method and the wires look good.

Katrina/10 10-17-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric8 (Post 8610956)
Well for what it's worth, I did some digging and found a post on another site that said for a sbc, the plug wire lengths generally go in the following order (from longest wire to shortest wire): cylinder #'s 3,2,1,4,5,7,6,8

I put some wires on my truck just a couple days ago, and ran into the same thing. Always a box full of unmarked wires, no indication where they go. I didn't think to look on the internet to see if there was a recommended sequence for length, that was a good idea!

I tried to guess which ones would go where by laying them out on the floor by cylinder location, it didn't work perfectly, but helped. I did find that the longest one worked best for number 3.

rpmerf 10-17-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric8 (Post 8610956)

Interesting. Not what I would had guessed. When you look at a picture of it, it makes a bit more sense.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...5280080baf.jpg

SunSoaked 10-17-2019 09:32 AM

This is why God invented the LS.

1976gmc20 10-17-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

When you look at a picture of it, it makes a bit more sense.
Except the distributor is nowhere near that large compared to the rest of the engine.

I always start with the longest one(s) on 1 or 2, then work down and hope.

And yeah most wire sets are hopelessly too long. I think I have some plug wires zip tied to the brake vacuum hose (anything non metallic), and maybe to a heater hose on the other side.

I had a rough running problem and replaced cap, rotor, wires, and plugs as a matter of course. Just kept getting worse and turned out it was a blown head gasket between 3 and 5. So I had a shop do that and a few weeks later it started running rough again! Then I discovered one of the plug wires dang near burned through on the exhaust manifold on that side. Obviously the shop didn't taking much care putting the plug wires back on :(