The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   60-66 Suburbans (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Burb one piece glass (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=799097)

kennygss 01-03-2020 03:38 PM

Burb one piece glass

Hi Guys,

I have seen, (or think I have seen) a 60's Burb with one piece rear side glass to replace the sliders. Any leads on this? I like the look and need to do something in that area? How would I go about getting the glass made? Rubber channel install? Any help, thoughts, insight and ideas appreciated ! Thank You!

Captainfab 01-03-2020 11:31 PM

Re: Burb one piece glass

A lot of the Suburbans came with only 2 sliders in the front openings and fixed glass in the rear openings. So as for what size, if you can find the size for the factory fixed glass. The rubber gasket is readily available.

RockTonka 01-04-2020 01:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We pulled all the sliders out of ours and went with flush mount glass (no gaskets) on the back...custom cut glass, but the install was very straightforward.

FWIW, the front and rear windows are not the same...all four windows were custom fitted.

Killer Bee 01-04-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 8654138)
We pulled all the sliders out of ours and went with flush mount glass (no gaskets) on the back...custom cut glass, but the install was very straightforward.

FWIW, the front and rear windows are not the same...all four windows were custom fitted.

yep, flat glass is easy for any reputable vendor..

we use GMS Auto Glass at work and they frequently replace flat glass in CCC, Mack, etc. cabs..

give them rough dimensions over size and the fit and install on location..

good luck!

clemsonteg 01-04-2020 10:21 AM

This place has templates for front or rear solid glass https://www.sandersreproglass.com/

kennygss 01-06-2020 11:50 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. i appreciate it. I am actually thinking about one piece glass for each side, so one large side glass in the rear.

Killer Bee 01-06-2020 12:03 PM

you might want some second opinions on opening that whole side with one piece of glass..

the rigidity of the body structure without that post vs flexibility of the glass may not favor the modification..

good luck however you go and please post pictures!

kennygss 01-06-2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8655449)
you might want some second opinions on opening that whole side with one piece of glass..

the rigidity of the body structure without that post vs flexibility of the glass may not favor the modification..

good luck however you go and please post pictures!

I was thinking about that as well. I would imagine replacing the center support in the opening and flushing the glass against it would be the way.

rustyrodknocker 02-16-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennygss (Post 8655440)
Thanks for the tips guys. i appreciate it. I am actually thinking about one piece glass for each side, so one large side glass in the rear.

I've seen this done several times. A piece of glass that long may come at a premium.

EricU 03-18-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 8654138)

Could you elaborate more on what makes it flush mount? I want to redo the glass in my 63 on an upcoming build.

Thanks, BTW that is an awesome build thread you have!

rustyrodknocker 03-23-2020 01:01 AM

When you adhere the glass to the existing flange the the factory rubber would seal over it pushes the glass outward. Nearly flushing out with the body.
I'm not a big fan of the look. The long one piece glass conversions I have seen are this way. I had glass cut for mine but decided not to do i that way after mocking it up. I'm going to move the flanges inward so the glass is on its original plane. At the same time I will make the flanges wider. This will be inline with the typical contact patch for a urethane installed window.