The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Power steering lines help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=802582)

Wobpb377 03-12-2020 03:24 PM

Power steering lines help

2 Attachment(s)
So I replaced the steering gear and the pump. Im in the process of reconnecting everything and I am having issues with the steering lines.

From the service manual—the line on outside closest to column will go to nipple on back of steering pump. And the other hard line with pressed fittings will go to the threaded portion of pump. Does this sound correct?

FirstOwner69 03-12-2020 05:56 PM

Re: Power steering lines help

2 Attachment(s)
These pictures may help.

tdangle 03-12-2020 06:26 PM

If I recall correctly, they are different sizes. I remember having to use 2 different wrenches on mine.

Wobpb377 03-12-2020 06:54 PM

I was using those photos as reference. After I looked, there were spacers on my pump. Once I took those out and put the O-ring in it was fine. I think I still have air in the system because it makes a whining noise when applying turns. Good note the steering is a lot tighter with the new box and rag joint. Now just figuring out the whining.

Wobpb377 03-23-2020 06:55 PM

An update

Been driving for a bit and it still whines. I have attempted to bleed the power steering a few times to no avail.

I’m new to the c10/c20 platform.

So with the lines. I understand there is a low and high pressure line. The steering gear is a oem replacement for a 72 c20. To my knowledge everything is correct. Which lines require an o-ring? Is one also required on the back of the steering pump? I’ve been driving it for a week with no leaks but there is still air in the system and it still gets foamy when I bleed the system but starting engine and turning lock to lock. Also the whine is more
Noticeable when turn the wheel left vs right.

Thanks for any help of info you can give.

Daron65 03-23-2020 07:45 PM

Im following this thread. Im soon to be replacing my gear box.

toolboxchev 03-23-2020 07:55 PM

Try jacking the front of the truck in the air, both wheels off the ground if you have not done so....turn the wheel lock to lock 10 times with the engine running.

I had to do it twice over the course of a week to get it to purge all the air out.

Wobpb377 03-23-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolboxchev (Post 8700771)
Try jacking the front of the truck in the air, both wheels off the ground if you have not done so....turn the wheel lock to lock 10 times with the engine running.

I had to do it twice over the course of a week to get it to purge all the air out.

Did that and it still has foam. And it’s still hard steering. I think when I replaced the lines i didn’t put in the o-ring. But if that was the case I would have a leak. Unless I have the lines backwards but I doubt that.

My question is—why won’t it purge the air during normal driving though. Since there is t a bleeder valve like the brakes have.

franken 03-23-2020 09:42 PM

You only need O-ring fittings on the pressure hose id the pump and/or box have been replaced with newer parts that use O-ring fittings. This has nothing to do with hard turning.
The two I've done (both rebuilt pump, box and new lines) I just filled the res, went lock to lock a few times, then topped off the res.
The high pressure fitting on the box is a different size than the low pressure, and the low pressure at the pump uses a clamp. Hard to mismatch things.

Wobpb377 03-23-2020 09:57 PM

Hmmm wonder what the problem could be then. The pump was a new pump as well as the box. And when I ordered the parts the ones I replaced matched what I removed.

Andy4639 03-23-2020 09:59 PM

Did you put the valve back in the pump out of the old one are use the newer one? This could be your problem. You need the valve for these model trucks and it needs to be put in correctly also.

The lines only can be hooked up one way.
:chevy:

Wobpb377 03-23-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8700848)
Did you put the valve back in the pump out of the old one are use the newer one? This could be your problem. You need the valve for these model trucks and it needs to be put in correctly also.

The lines only can be hooked up one way.

I’m Using everything from the new pump. It was a new pump and reservoir. What valve do you speak of. :)

This is the pump I swapped in. Also got the steering gear from summit.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB3...rdInput=381215

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAZ-27-7501

Sheepdip 03-23-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wobpb377 (Post 8700733)
An update

Been driving for a bit and it still whines. I have attempted to bleed the power steering a few times to no avail.

I’m new to the c10/c20 platform.

So with the lines. I understand there is a low and high pressure line. The steering gear is a oem replacement for a 72 c20. To my knowledge everything is correct. Which lines require an o-ring? Is one also required on the back of the steering pump? I’ve been driving it for a week with no leaks but there is still air in the system and it still gets foamy when I bleed the system but starting engine and turning lock to lock. Also the whine is more
Noticeable when turn the wheel left vs right.

Thanks for any help of info you can give.

Jack both front wheels off the ground, start your engine and turn slowly from lock to lock about 12 times and that should get all the air out.

Wobpb377 03-23-2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 8700881)
Jack both front wheels off the ground, start your engine and turn slowly from lock to lock about 12 times and that should get all the air out.

I’ve done that on three different occasions. :(. That’s why I’m stumped.

Last night I did it. Jacked it up. Started engine. Turned wheel three or four times both directions. Reservoir filled with foam. Let it settle. Did it again. Did that three of four times in total.

The belt is tight too. Maybe I have a bad pump or something. Or air is leaking in a line somewhere but if that’s the case it doesn’t explain why it is not
Leaking.

Pro299 03-23-2020 10:49 PM

Your experience is the same as mine. When i put in a crate motor over the winter i dumped out the PS fluid and put in new lines while i was at it. The old pump worked fine so i used it. Even after the lock to lock routine i still had foam and whining noise. I've put about 400 miles on it now and it is getting quieter and no more foam. I'm keeping an eye on it, just in case, but it seems to be working fine.

Andy4639 03-23-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wobpb377 (Post 8700854)
I’m Using everything from the new pump. It was a new pump and reservoir. What valve do you speak of. :)

This is the pump I swapped in. Also got the steering gear from summit.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB3...rdInput=381215

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAZ-27-7501

Backside of pump where the high side pressure line connects to the pump. The nut that the line is screwed into it.
Take the line out then back the nut off. Be carefull it's spring loaded. That is the valave that comes out. Make sure it goes back in the same way it comes out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695412

Wobpb377 03-23-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro299 (Post 8700889)
Your experience is the same as mine. When i put in a crate motor over the winter i dumped out the PS fluid and put in new lines while i was at it. The old pump worked fine so i used it. Even after the lock to lock routine i still had foam and whining noise. I've put about 400 miles on it now and it is getting quieter and no more foam. I'm keeping an eye on it, just in case, but it seems to be working fine.

How is your steering? I’m soon going to look like
Popeye from the hard steering. Lol

Wobpb377 03-23-2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8700892)
Backside of pump where the high side pressure line connects to the pump. The nut that the line is screwed into it.
Take the line out then back the nut off. Be carefull it's spring loaded. That is the valave that comes out. Make sure it goes back in the same way it comes out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695412

I already turned my core in 😡. Can that valve be purchased ya think?

Andy4639 03-23-2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wobpb377 (Post 8700897)
I already turned my core in 😡. Can that valve be purchased ya think?

Yes read the link I posted.:chevy:

tdangle 03-23-2020 11:24 PM

I was watching a video on youtube where a shop was installing a hydroboost system on a truck. He claimed that a small amount of dextron mixed with power steering fluid got rid of the foaming he was always running into. He explained that power steering fluid had no anti-foaming agents in it, but the dextron ATF did. I refilled my power steering unit with dextron atf when I put in my new motor. Everything works great from day one.

Wobpb377 03-23-2020 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8700898)
Yes read the link I posted.:chevy:

Thanks I’ll reread it but I must have missed it.

Pro299 03-24-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wobpb377 (Post 8700893)
How is your steering? I’m soon going to look like
Popeye from the hard steering. Lol

Mine steers fine. Overboosted and no steering feel as usual. But like i said, I reused the old pump.