The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   what are the new craigslists scams? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=803533)

cdub2010 03-31-2020 09:43 PM

what are the new craigslists scams?

I reluctantly had to list a car for sale on craigslist. Bad decision I know. Now I have been getting a lot of strange text's and emails with comments only like "Nice mustang coupe" Nice fixer upper". No African princes with silly offers , no contact info, or call me back?.... just simple comments, All new to me is this commonplace

What the heck. Are scammers desperate for email address or phone numbers? Whats the end game?

special-K 03-31-2020 09:47 PM

Re: what are the new craigslists scams?

Nothing I know of. It could be that Marketplace behavior has influenced Craigslist responders now. I don't think listing on Craigslist is a bad idea. Works for me. If you deal through the craigslist e-mail they never know what yours is.

68bowtie 03-31-2020 09:54 PM

I assume new versions of the same “I’ll send you a cashiers check for the asking price plus shipping, oops I overpaid, please wire the difference back to me” scam. Fake cashiers check of course that you deposit, the bank accepts, then a couple days later bounces back. Or the fake paypal email thing. They do seem to ask for some kind of code verification which is odd.

What I love is that they seem to be actual people (not robots), and I always have fun dragging them along and wasting their time.

Steeveedee 03-31-2020 10:38 PM

I'm selling a wood turning lathe with a ton of tools, and the only response I've had so far was a cashier's check scammer. Of course, the social distance bidness is putting a kink in the sale, but I responded to that query with the standard, "If you show up at my door with cash in hand, you get to buy the lathe and accessories. Otherwise, no deal." My wife thinks that I was too harsh. :huh:

68bowtie 04-01-2020 02:46 AM

Harsh? Nah. She must be a nice lady.

FleetsidePaul 04-01-2020 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8706178)
I'm selling a wood turning lathe with a ton of tools, and the only response I've had so far was a cashier's check scammer. Of course, the social distance bidness is putting a kink in the sale, but I responded to that query with the standard, "If you show up at my door with cash in hand, you get to buy the lathe and accessories. Otherwise, no deal." My wife thinks that I was too harsh. :huh:

I don't think you were being too harsh. If I show up. I bring cash. The only time I didn't was when I bought my hearse. I simply couldn't get the cash. The bank had closed the only branch up here and I could only get so much from the ATM. I explained it to the guy and to my surprise he said no problem. :)

But I live in a very small town. I'm easy to find. He knew who I was and who else is crazy enough to buy a hearse. So he took it. I wrote a check. Easy peasy.

As far as CL goes. My biggest problem is people keep you waiting and never show up.

special-K 04-01-2020 06:05 AM

Back before I started just ignoring and deleting those scam offers my response was "I am not accustomed to the buyer establishing the terms of my sale". It just doesn't work that way.

cornerstone 04-01-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8706178)

I've been looking for a lathe... too bad there's 1219 miles between us...

Steeveedee 04-01-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8706451)
I've been looking for a lathe... too bad there's 1219 miles between us...

Send me a cashier's check for the price of the lathe and the shipping, and let me know when the movers will be here to pick it up. :lol: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

special-K 04-01-2020 12:48 PM

Offer half because you have to ship it so far :lol: Seriously, that happens. Or how about 1/4 because it's going to be heavy to move into place, too?

Zippi 04-01-2020 01:01 PM

When I had my 37 pickup for sale I would get emails and text saying "I want to buy your car" or they would ask one question and then they are ready to pay through Pay Pal. I'd always tell them to call me. Never got a call ;)

special-K 04-01-2020 01:18 PM

The other thing is people making offers or asking bottom line before looking. I'd say, "Come look it over and tell me why it isn't worth the asking price. Might seem worth more"

weq92f 04-01-2020 01:26 PM

I had a distant wife-side cousin go meet some CL seller of a motorcycle someplace in FL. Two armed guys showed up demanding the cash. This cousin of mine decided to pull out his firearm and lost his life. He did manage to empty the clip but there was no evidence he hit anything. Sad that this crap happens.

-klb

Steeveedee 04-01-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8706619)
Offer half because you have to ship it so far :lol: Seriously, that happens. Or how about 1/4 because it's going to be heavy to move into place, too?

Well, now I feel bad. Is it OK if I deliver for free it and just leave it in the driveway? :lol:

Anyone asking me what the lowest price I will take gets told, "I don't grind my own prices on the phone".

Steeveedee 04-01-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8706647)
I had a distant wife-side cousin go meet some CL seller of a motorcycle someplace in FL. Two armed guys showed up demanding the cash. This cousin of mine decided to pull out his firearm and lost his life. He did manage to empty the clip but there was no evidence he hit anything. Sad that this crap happens.

-klb

That is pretty sad. I see where some towns have a zone designated for those transactions that are next to a police station.

dajn 04-01-2020 03:41 PM

I had an odd one happen to me about ten years ago. I cant remember what I was selling but it was either a pickup or a motorcycle. So after a few email exchanges, the guy calls me. The conversation almost immediately turned to him just talking about his life. I actually just kept listening and at one point he was basically in tears. So not sure what that was about. Maybe he was just lonely. It was very strange to say the least. I always dread when I need to sell something. Between the scammers and the crazy, it's hard can be hard to find the normal buyers.

Tom 04-01-2020 03:43 PM

Craigslist? People still use that? Not around here they don't.....

farmer97 04-01-2020 04:03 PM

Ya no biters on my 383 I'm trying to sell on Craigslist, Facebook market place had a few low ball offers but no bites.

LS short box 04-01-2020 04:34 PM

I've sold a number of things on CL. Always there is a number emails thru CL asking for your personal email. I tell all of them we can work thru CL or call my cell number listed. No long texts, lets just talk. Most scammers then just go away. When I sold my Corvette a couple of years ago I agree to meet the buyer and sent him the address which just happen to right across the street from the police station. I was sales for over for 26 years with pretty thick skin and if someone asks for stupid low price I just say no.

FleetsidePaul 04-02-2020 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 8706796)
I was sales for over for 26 years with pretty thick skin and if someone asks for stupid low price I just say no.

Just say no. That works. No explanation, just no.

A lesson that I've learned from my wives over the years.

dajn 04-02-2020 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmer97 (Post 8706780)
Ya no biters on my 383 I'm trying to sell on Craigslist, Facebook market place had a few low ball offers but no bites.

You couldn't even get a troll to bite? Ouch.

dajn 04-02-2020 02:16 AM

But I feel your pain. I have put things up for sale and got nothing but crickets. And I felt like cant I at least get a troll?

FleetsidePaul 04-02-2020 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajn (Post 8707086)
But I feel your pain. I have put things up for sale and got nothing but crickets. And I felt like cant I at least get a troll?

I've felt the same way about 2:00 a.m.

67C10Step 04-02-2020 09:16 AM

I still sell through CL from time to time but try to avoid it. Recently sold a guy a pair of decent but rusty step side fenders for $100. I was asking more but they had been out there two weeks with not bites and he said he wanted them and drove 5 hours to come get them. I needed them out of the way anyway.

Was selling an atv once and had two potentials. One guy called and said he'd be there that afternoon to look at it. Second guy called and said he wanted it and would come get it the next day. I told him that was great but I had one guy in front of him that was coming to look at it. Easiest sale I have ever made. Guy drove it a few minutes, paid me cash, and loaded it up. When I called the second guy he got all bent out of shape telling me I sold it from under him. He was obviously a young guy and I explained that I told him straight up there was a guy in front of him and that was that. He started back in and I just hung up.

I usually don't go do any transactions alone anymore if I am dealing with a facebook or craiglist listing. I am a member of an Arkansas based hunting board with a marketplace and I usually try to sell there first. Never had a single issue in a dozen transactions on that site.

special-K 04-02-2020 01:15 PM

I still use Craigslist. It has slowed down, not as many responses up front, but works for me. First I am careful in e-mail before moving on to phone. I ask a lot of questions and give a lot of info on the item before giving out my address, which happens only if they sound pretty well sold. One thing I ask is if they are coming alone and where they live. I'd get how many and who they are, basically make them feel like they have to let me know why they are all coming together. I always make it sound like I'm not home alone and make mention of my neighbors. I'm crafty about it. Just mix it in to conversation. I feel safe here and I feel I can feel people out pretty well, but play it safe after hearing some things.

I have bought a lot of old vehicles through various formats but for whatever reason never from Craigslist. I can't recall ever buying anything, come to think of it.