The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   My Chevy G van (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=804646)

Corts60 04-19-2020 09:46 AM

My Chevy G van

5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, figured I'd finally start logging some project history on my 1991 G van. Well, technically, I built it for my wife for her ceramic business. But I use it more these days.

Long story short, I've had it for 5 years now I guess. Bought it as a surprise for my wife when she was doing more trade shows with her business. Made hauling all of her inventory a breeze.

First thing I did was repaint it and put her logos on it. Since it was only meant to be a work van, I didn't do any body work. Just scuff, prime, paint. Now that we've fallen in love with it some years later, I regret not taking the time to at least fix the rear fender behind passenger side tire before painting. Oh well. Maybe later.

The van technically is nothing special, but we love it. It is a factory V6 TBI, 700R4, 3:73 rear. Since it lived in the Northwest it's whole life, it hasn't a drop of rust on it. Under carriage is amazing. I've probably replaced damn near everything but the transmission in the last 5 years:

-New V6 30k miles ago
-Had rear end rebuilt (regret not having posi put in)
-Completely rebuilt front suspension and steering
-all new shocks
-all new weather seals on doors

It drives very smooth (for a V6) and is a great all around utility vehicle for us. Home Depot trips, camping, etc.

Anyways, I'm starting to gain more interest in tinkering with it and I thought start a thread on it.

Last pic is my wife when I surprised her with it.

Corts60 04-19-2020 09:52 AM

Re: My Chevy G van

4 Attachment(s)
Plans are to eventually drop in a V8 and throw the TBI in the trash. TBI is great when it is running perfect, but when it isn't...such a PITA to troubleshoot! I don't want to really learn the old school programming tech to deal with it, so I'll just retro-grade it back to carb and HEI. It doesn't have to go through emissions anymore so should be good. I'll keep the CAT on it though, if anything just to keep the smell down. And I don't mind doing my part for the environment either.

Some more pics.

Corts60 04-19-2020 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
These pics are how she looks today. I scored a hood on craigslist for $40 that was pulled from a van back in the early 90's that had less than 10k miles on it. The hood is perfect! The original one on my van always had a dent right in the body line that drove me nuts!

I scored those fog lights from Ebay a couple years ago. They were in the factory box, never used. I love them!

flashed 04-19-2020 11:15 AM

That van turned out nice . Love the Chevelle dog dish caps on it .

MP&C 04-19-2020 11:30 AM

Sharp looking!

Corts60 04-19-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8720154)
That van turned out nice . Love the Chevelle dog dish caps on it .

Good eye! A lot of people never even notice!

Corts60 04-19-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MP&C (Post 8720169)
Sharp looking!

Thanks!

She's not an award winner, just a clean hauler that I put to work almost everyday. I've towed my camper with her several times and the V6 does OK. It has as much power as my old 78 SWB with the 350 diesel, and I towed the camper everywhere with that thing.

I'm just ready for some V8 power!

Boog 07-31-2020 12:05 PM

Nice going Cort. You must have found it tucked away some place out of the weather. I don't see any rust? I bet your wife WAS surprised. I agree with the carb'd V8 swap. I didn't like the early tbi engines. It's amazing how good the reported fuel mileage is with these big boxes too, even with carbs.
Here lately I've had the urge to buy a conversion van for some comfortable trips. I've never owned one and I have yet to convince my wife we'd enjoy one. ;)

Ol Blue K20 08-02-2020 11:57 AM

Looks good, V8 would make towing easier.

MalibuSSwagon 08-05-2020 01:17 PM

Wish I could find a clean one of these to build a camper van, even late 00's Express vans are disintegrating around here.

Softpatch 08-31-2020 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not my 92 G 30

Ol Blue K20 09-01-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softpatch (Post 8801150)
Not my 92 G 30

Go speed racer go :lol: