The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shocked by Hei Distributor (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=807052)

kelz702 05-30-2020 12:24 AM

Shocked by Hei Distributor

Hello All! Hope everyone is well and safe. Earlier today I was attempting to set the timing on my HEI Distributor. The Distributor has an Accel In-cap Super Coil. I grabbed the distributor by the top to adjust the timing and got a pretty good shock! :ack: This was my first tim trying to adjust the timing. Is it normal to get shocked if you grab a HEI distributor by the top? Maybe it's not grounded or hooked up correctly? Any advise would be appreciated!

HO455 05-30-2020 10:34 AM

Re: Shocked by Hei Distributor

Yep, had that happen numerous times over the years. Electricity takes the path of least resistance every time. I may still have the scar on the back of my head from that exact thing happening to me on my 1947 KB 5 International I drove in high school. :lol:
How old are your plug wires? As the wires age the insulation breaks down. Eventually they will get bad enough to start cross firing or jumping to ground. If it is dark you will see sparks coming off the wires.
If you touch a bad spot on a plug wire, and a good ground on the vehicle, your body could be less resistant to the flow of electrons than the plug wire connecting the spark plug and it's plug gap to ground.

kelz702 05-30-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8748807)
How old are your plug wires? As the wires age the insulation breaks down. Eventually they will get bad enough to start cross firing or jumping to ground. If it is dark you will see sparks coming off the wires.
If you touch a bad spot on a plug wire, and a good ground on the vehicle, your body could be less resistant to the flow of electrons than the plug wire connecting the spark plug and it's plug gap to ground.

Haha! It scared the crap out of me! The plug wires are probably 5 years old or so but I haven't put many miles on the truck sense they were installed. They look like they are in good shape but the insulation could be breaking down. It's very dry here in the desert. I guess I can fire up the truck tonight and see if I can spot any sparks.

toolboxchev 05-30-2020 01:59 PM

I have been using an Accel Super Coil for over 14 years, have not had that happen.

I would suggest to do the plug wires as soon as possible. Most likely the cause.

Steeveedee 05-30-2020 06:17 PM

Pop the wires off the cap one at a time and make sure that the clips on the wire are connecting to the cap electrodes. Do you have the locking ring that holds the wires down installed? Some people (including me) usually leave them off and the wires can pop loose if jostled enough.

hugger6933 05-30-2020 08:58 PM

Yeah with old wires it is a given grab the lower next time but I bet you have figured that out. Last time I got bit it was with a MSD and a 6AL with blaster coil They hold spark like23 degrees of crank rotation. We are talking Christmas tree type light up.