The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Wheel center bore conundrum (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=811830)

Justin71105 09-11-2020 10:52 PM

Wheel center bore conundrum

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 64 C10 I have been slowly getting together and have come to a wheel selection.

Currently has the front end out of a 74 C10 with disc brakes, well the cross member is the only thing I ended up using, replaced all steering and suspension after the fact with new parts for a 74.

I decided to use a set of the cp4r-6 rotors for the front to keep the truck 6 lug....looking back should have probably went with the 74's 5 lug rotors and just replaced my rear axles with 5x5 as well.

Measured the front hubs and they are 78mm approximately, rear end is the stock 64' as best I can tell.

Have all new rear brake hardware and used all 64 parts, drums, shoes, springs, lines etc.

I have read the 64 runs wheels with a 108mm hub bore and the rally's on it measure that. However the rear hub measures around 89mm. Been reading and reading some more on the lug vs hub centric wheels and balancing them and what not and decided to just ask.

My question is can I run 108mm hub bore wheels all the way around without issue or should I find wheels with closer center bore to what my hubs actually are....or just get some of the hub rings.

Pictured is the wheels that came with the truck on the rear, going to test fit fronts tomorrow. Want to run a set of Cragar Soft 8's 17" 6x5.5 and they come in 108mm center bore.

Sorry for the long post, wanting to order some wheels and wanting to only buy once If I can help it and not have to swap to 5x5.

The Rocknrod 09-12-2020 08:03 AM

Re: Wheel center bore conundrum

What was the middle thing again? :)

Palf70Step 09-12-2020 08:15 AM

I've run wheels with bores bigger than the hubs for many, many years. Just keep your torque correct and no issues.

The also make spacers that go around the hub thst filld the space between the hub and wheel. They are custom specific, so you'll need hubs outer diameter and wheel bore size to order them.

Justin71105 09-12-2020 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8806932)
I've run wheels with bores bigger than the hubs for many, many years. Just keep your torque correct and no issues.

The also make spacers that go around the hub that fills the space between the hub and wheel. They are custom specific, so you'll need hubs outer diameter and wheel bore size to order them.

I read about the spacers last night, looks like they are very cheap so will try without rings to begin with and if I get a some vibrations order some.

Looks like they are known as hub centric rings, would need 108 to 88.7mm for rear and 108 to 78.1mm for front.

Even with this small headache of wheels, don't think I will regret power disc brakes when I am driving it.

SCOTI 09-14-2020 10:57 AM

The hub sizing should only be a critical factor for 'hub centric' wheels.

Some wheels are hub-centric (usually heavy duty or other). Most others are lug centric using the lugs/lug-nuts for centering & seating the wheels properly.